What's new

My 2 cents worth on “Brothers Grimm” (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
So, I spent some time with my long-time friend Dave Strohmaier this afternoon. He's in town mixing the sound for Brothers Grimm. I saw quite a few sequences and I'm here to tell you that it's going to look absolutely incredible. The work he's done is spectacular. The detail and sharpness are beyond belief. And the sound - they played me the gypsy dance scene with Russ Tamblyn - incredible. The expression "worth the wait" comes to mind. I can't imagine there are plans for a UHD and I think we should just get off that topic and be grateful for what we are getting - a brilliant new Blu-ray. I cannot imagine anyone, even people who don't care for the film, being disappointed with anything about this. I'll definitely be at the Dome (I really do believe we'll be open by that time), and I'll definitely buy the Blu-ray.

I saw the film the week it opened and about seven or eight times thereafter. I didn't think it was a classic, but it sure was enjoyable to this then-fourteen-year-old and there was nothing quite like it. What a thrill.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
So exciting to read this, Bruce. You're right: it's never been thought of as a brilliant film, but there is so much entertainment value there that I'm more than happy to take the gnarly parts to get the choice bits. Cannot wait to get the Blu-ray.

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
So, I spent some time with my long-time friend Dave Strohmaier this afternoon. He's in town mixing the sound for Brothers Grimm. I saw quite a few sequences and I'm here to tell you that it's going to look absolutely incredible. The work he's done is spectacular. The detail and sharpness are beyond belief. And the sound - they played me the gypsy dance scene with Russ Tamblyn - incredible. The expression "worth the wait" comes to mind. I can't imagine there are plans for a UHD and I think we should just get off that topic and be grateful for what we are getting - a brilliant new Blu-ray. I cannot imagine anyone, even people who don't care for the film, being disappointed with anything about this. I'll definitely be at the Dome (I really do believe we'll be open by that time), and I'll definitely buy the Blu-ray.

I saw the film the week it opened and about seven or eight times thereafter. I didn't think it was a classic, but it sure was enjoyable to this then-fourteen-year-old and there was nothing quite like it. What a thrill.
I cant wait to see this also as I originally saw it when I was a kid in 3 strip at the Cinerama in Auckland NZ. However I would love to see some of the Cinerama BDs I have in HDR, do you think we will see any anytime? Ive just bought a copy of the 10 Commandments in HDR and would love to see the Cinerama ones also go HDR...

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I only first saw this film about a decade ago, but it’s quickly become one of my favorites! I’m absolutely chomping at the bits to see this on blu! I’m very thankful after hearing for years that it was never going to happen.

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
I've seen the damaged 3 panel print a couple of times at Bradford. Really looking forward to the restoration: obviously on Blu-ray, but hopefully also on the big screen.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I agree how hideous the Laser Disc was but I’ve held on to it for these many years as it was the only way to truly watch it. Waiting tremendously to replace the laser

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I've seen the damaged 3 panel print a couple of times at Bradford. Really looking forward to the restoration: obviously on Blu-ray, but hopefully also on the big screen.
That was the same print that I saw several times on John Mitchell's backyard 3 strip cinerama screen years ago before he send it to Bradford.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Same here, and I've held on to the LP in your avatar as well since it was a big part of my childhood. The true soundtrack release was a revelation, but I still enjoy hearing some snippets of the songs and dialogue mixed with Charlie Ruggles' narration.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I cant wait to see this also as I originally saw it when I was a kid in 3 strip at the Cinerama in Auckland NZ. However I would love to see some of the Cinerama BDs I have in HDR, do you think we will see any anytime? Ive just bought a copy of the 10 Commandments in HDR and would love to see the Cinerama ones also go HDR...
I too saw it in Auckland -made a special trip from Wellington to see it.It was only in 35mm where I worked in Wellington.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Looks great!

Before and after restoration
View attachment 80459
I don't know if anyone has addressed this, but there is a motion blur on some of those elves that isn't there in the before image. Perhaps it is not the exact frame, but as some will be aware, motion blur was rarely applied on stop motion in the 1950s and 60s. This looks more like a digital blur than analog techniques. I was wondering if it could be an unintended by-product of digital cleanup.

I don't like to nitpick, the image otherwise looks very rich and impressive, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I don't know if anyone has addressed this, but there is a motion blur on some of those elves that isn't there in the before image. Perhaps it is not the exact frame, but as some will be aware, motion blur was rarely applied on stop motion in the 1950s and 60s. This looks more like a digital blur than analog techniques. I was wondering if it could be an unintended by-product of digital cleanup.

I don't like to nitpick, the image otherwise looks very rich and impressive, and I'm very much looking forward to it.
Could also be a byproduct of how the still was captured from the master.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 8.35.00 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 8.35.15 AM.jpg

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
First off, the damaged print that's been shown has nothing to do with this restoration at ALL. This is from the original negatives, and the panel that had some water damage has been completely fixed - it's amazing. I would not start picking nits - there are zero problems with this that I can see.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Looks great!

Before and after restoration
View attachment 80459

First off, the damaged print that's been shown has nothing to do with this restoration at ALL. This is from the original negatives, and the panel that had some water damage has been completely fixed - it's amazing. I would not start picking nits - there are zero problems with this that I can see.
Glad to hear it! The captures were taken from post# 525 stating "Before and after restoration" as examples.:confused:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Glad to hear it! The captures were taken from post# 525 stating "Before and after restoration" as examples.:confused:
I am pretty sure the Blu-ray will not look like this but there is indeed more texture on the left than on the right which is strange if it was the same bitrate on both.

And not to rain on anybody's parade but for me the other Cinerama releases except for How The West Was Won have been on the softer and less textured side but I guess one can only do so much on a limited budget and with the necessary automated tools that are needed to keep costs and effort down somehow and with the goal to get dirt and scratches down to certain levels.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
There is nothing "soft" about what I've seen of Brothers Grimm's restoration. There are, as I'm sure you're aware, many optical sequences in the film, but even those looked pretty terrific of the ones I saw. You cannot judge on screen caps like that. And if you're sure the Blu-ray will not look like this, which it doesn't (I saw that very sequence), why mention it? :)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I am happy to hear that and really look forward to this one. While I know that there are opticals in there I have NEVER seen the movie so watching it on Blu-ray will be a very good first viewing!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks