What's new

My 2 cents worth on “Brothers Grimm” (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The Seattle Cinerama is officially closed? So that leaves only Bradford as a venue for Cinerama?
I'm on the Seattle Cinerama's mailing list, and they've been indicating for several months they they are closed "indefinitely." The most recent emails I've received have been all about refunds. Check out the homepage: https://cinerama.com/

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think the first point worth mentioning is that the source article for all of the closings sites that it’s most likely a negotiation tactic for the leases - the landlords apparently don’t want to budge on back rent they couldn’t pay when they were legally required to be closed, and the chain sounds like they’re almost daring the landlord to find another tenant that could do better sooner, which seems very unlikely. Another chain isn’t likely to want to take over the locations and demolishing the buildings to convert the land into something else takes a long time, and there’s never a guarantee that a new business would do any better than the old one.

The second point is that the Dome itself is apparently a registered landmark which means it can’t just be demolished. If that’s true, the worst case may simply be that someone else buys it and runs it.

DigniT@DigniT!

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kent
I think the first point worth mentioning is that the source article for all of the closings sites that it’s most likely a negotiation tactic for the leases - the landlords apparently don’t want to budge on back rent they couldn’t pay when they were legally required to be closed, and the chain sounds like they’re almost daring the landlord to find another tenant that could do better sooner, which seems very unlikely. Another chain isn’t likely to want to take over the locations and demolishing the buildings to convert the land into something else takes a long time, and there’s never a guarantee that a new business would do any better than the old one.

The second point is that the Dome itself is apparently a registered landmark which means it can’t just be demolished. If that’s true, the worst case may simply be that someone else buys it and runs it.
My hope is that it is annexed by the Academy or the complex is bought by Netflix or another company, in the way that the Paris theatre in NYC has been... only time will tell...

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I also thought the Dome was a National Historic Landmark, or something to that effect. If that is true, I assume it could not be torn down. But are we not getting ahead of ourselves here, as Josh implied?

It is sad to think of the Dome not being there. I do remember the Aquarius theater next door, formerly home of "Queen For a Day". Wallach's Music City across the street. And more. It's a historic area.

My Spanish class attended "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World at the Dome's premiere. Many movies after that. Memories dim, but I remember "Grand Prix", "Battle of the Bulge", "Close Encounters", "Barry Lyndon", "Apocalypse Now", "Tommy", "Young Frankenstein(?)", and, of course revivals of "2001: A Space Odyssey", "How the West Was Won", and many Cinerama travel films.

It is, indeed, a sad day.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
"Someone else" would not be the ArcLight staff, and I worry that if the Dome opens under new management, it won't be the same. Going to an ArcLight was special. They didn't show ads. They didn't show more than three trailers. They had a host introduce each movie. And they did all sorts of special screenings. I may have seen more repertory films in the Dome than new films.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw Ghostbusters there during its reissue a few years ago - really nice place, and I sincerely hope it remains a classy and above average experience. I’ve never been able to get the timing right but I’ve long wanted to attend actual Cinerama films there.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I also thought the Dome was a National Historic Landmark, or something to that effect. If that is true, I assume it could not be torn down. But are we not getting ahead of ourselves here, as Josh implied?

It is sad to think of the Dome not being there. I do remember the Aquarius theater next door, formerly home of "Queen For a Day". Wallach's Music City across the street. And more. It's a historic area.

My Spanish class attended "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World at the Dome's premiere. Many movies after that. Memories dim, but I remember "Grand Prix", "Battle of the Bulge", "Close Encounters", "Barry Lyndon", "Apocalypse Now", "Tommy", "Young Frankenstein(?)", and, of course revivals of "2001: A Space Odyssey", "How the West Was Won", and many Cinerama travel films.

It is, indeed, a sad day.
Just to be completely LA accurate :) The Aquarius wasn't the Aquarius for Queen of the Day, it was Frank Sennes' Moulin Rouge and it wasn't exactly next door to the Dome, it was three or four blocks east of there. Wallichs with an "i" and no apostrophe was two blocks from the Dome on the northwest corner of Sunset and Vine. It was incredible back then. I went to the Moulin Rouge several times - my best two memories are seeing The Three Stooges in person there in 1959 and being taken backstage before the show and having my photo taken with them (oh, if I only had that now), and then seeing West Side Story, a production riding on the successful coattails of the movie - very cheaply done, but having many original cast members, like Tony Mordente, Chita Rivera, Tucker Smith, David Winters, etc - Maria was Carla Alberghetti sister of Anna Maria.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The Cinerama Dome has always been a theatre for prestigious premieres for the film companies. Even people, such as myself, who have never been to LA, have read about it.

The main question nobody will be able to answer today, is what the future of cinema going will be.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
The closing of the Dome is but one of thousands of famous cinemas around the world that have closed.. In the city where I was born there is only one out of a dozen city cinemas in the sixties, that is still standing and open. Almost all those great cinemas that screened large format films have been demolished. The famous Capitol in NYC (my all time favourite cinema),The Rivoli and Warner Cinerama also both in NYC were always the places to see movies on their large curved screens. Sadly there is now no cinema in the world that one can experience the thrill of seeing a Cinerama film as they are meant to be seen. Bradford may still show cinerama films but there is no real cinerama experience with their small screen not protruding out into the audience.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The Cinerama Dome has always been a theatre for prestigious premieres for the film companies. Even people, such as myself, who have never been to LA, have read about it.

The main question nobody will be able to answer today, is what the future of cinema going will be.
QT even featured the Cinerama Dome (Krakatoa East of Java was playing) in a wonderful montage in Once Upon A TIme... In Hollywood.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
The closing of the Dome is but one of thousands of famous cinemas around the world that have closed.. In the city where I was born there is only one out of a dozen city cinemas in the sixties, that is still standing and open. Almost all those great cinemas that screened large format films have been demolished. The famous Capitol in NYC (my all time favourite cinema),The Rivoli and Warner Cinerama also both in NYC were always the places to see movies on their large curved screens. Sadly there is now no cinema in the world that one can experience the thrill of seeing a Cinerama film as they are meant to be seen. Bradford may still show cinerama films but there is no real cinerama experience with their small screen not protruding out into the audience.
Loved going to the NY theatres mentioned. When I visited LA in the 1970s I made it my business to get to the Cinerama dome. Unfortunate, the film playing was the original Rollerball. It didn’t show off the great screen and sound very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks