What's new

Multiple SVS Sub ? (1 Viewer)

Craig Ball

Second Unit
Just out of curiosity, is anybody on this forum using more thatn two svs subs in their home theater? I have two right now and have read alot about people using a sub in the rear and setting their rears to large obviously running it line level. Is there an advantage/disadvantage to doing this, are you using more than two subs?

Craig

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I seem to remember Ron saying someone had ordered eight 16-46CS subs back when SVS was just starting. And Trevor Schell is running a pair of Servo15 subs and a pair of 20-39CS subs.

Personally I think adding a sub to the rear surrounds and setting them to large creates more problems than it solves. Unless you do a lot of playing with placement, room treatments and EQ.

I'd rather find the best place in the room for a single sub, then add room treatments and EQ. Which is much easier for a single sub postion. Then add as many as needed to that location to achieve the desired level.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
I have 3. A pair of 20-39's and a single 25-31 PCi.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Craig

I have all 3 subs running of the sub out on the Receiver(Rotel 1055). All speakers are HP at 60hz. The 20-39's are in the rear left corner and the 25-31pci in the the right front corner.

I tried all in the front corner but had a large peak at 40 hz. Using the one in the rear has smoothed out my room response quite abit. I plan on trying all three in the rear corner sooner or later but they sound great in the current setup.

If you have any more questions fire away

Earle

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Earl, once you get them all in the same corner and take care of that 40Hz problem with a parametric EQ, you will be amazed at the improvement. With those subs, I recommend increasing your insurance coverage for broken glass!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Wayne,

I had a ART 351 when I had all 3 in the front corner. I got the FR pretty flat, but the subs didnt seem to be hitting as hard as they should. My HT is a finished basement and the concrete slab makes shaking the floor a bitch.

I should try to get all 3 in the rear corner, i just need a long rca cable(probably around 40') to try it. Its just hard to justify the work of moving the sub when they pound in their current locations.

When I just had the 20-39's everything sounded great, then I found the 35-31 for a great price. the 31 seems to play louder higher up than the 39's. The combo ROCKS.

My room is pretty big, so I gues I just needed some extra woofage to fill the room. My site shows some outdated pics, but the same basic layout.

Earle

Craig Ball

Second Unit
EarleD, did you ever try using the 25-31 hooked up speaker level to the rears and setting them to Large?

Craig

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
I thought about it, but decided that using just the sub out works best for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks