What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Both

Primary Use: 30% Music, 70% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: 5.1 to 7.1

Room Size: 18x12

Is the room open to other areas of your home: No

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? No

What's your budget (low to high): $1500 to $5000

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Nope

I am new to building a home theater system. I currently have a Denon HTIB 5.1 setup that is old/not great. I am going to be buying a new tv soon (LG C9 65") and I wanted to start building a nice home theater setup. I have been doing research and this is what I have come up with so far:

TV

LG C9 65” ($2200)

AV Receiver

Denon AVR-X3600H ($1100)

Floorstanding Speakers

Klipsch R-625FA ($1200 for pair)

Klipsch RP-8060FA ($2200 for pair)

Center Channel

Klipsch RP-500C ($370)

Subwoofer

SVS SB 1000 ($500)

SVS SB 2000 ($700)

SVS SB 3000 ($1000)

Surround Speakers

Klipsch RP-402S ($450)

The subs listed and floorstanding speakers have multiple listed as I am trying to decide between those listed. Any input on what is listed would be much appreciated. I plan on buying a piece at a time for budget reasons.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Are you totally locked into Klipsch? There are a lot of brands out there, and don't get into the mindset that Klipsch is the pinnacle of them all. Not knocking them, exactly, just that there a LOT of alternatives.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, if you jump, you can get the Marantz SR6013 on closeout for $900 now. I'd take that before the Denon 3600 for $200 more.

stuempelj

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Are you totally locked into Klipsch? There are a lot of brands out there, and don't get into the mindset that Klipsch is the pinnacle of them all. Not knocking them, exactly, just that there a LOT of alternatives.

I am definitely not locked into Klipsch, just where I am at right now. I went to best buy and really liked the sound of the floorstanding speakers. I have read on here that it's beneficial to stick with one brand for the various speakers as they will sound better together? Any truth to this? Any other brands you like more or that I should investigate more?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am definitely not locked into Klipsch, just where I am at right now. I went to best buy and really liked the sound of the floorstanding speakers. I have read on here that it's beneficial to stick with one brand for the various speakers as they will sound better together? Any truth to this? Any other brands you like more or that I should investigate more?
first, to repeat myself, I highly recommend you check out the SR 6013, which Best Buy (the last time I checked) had for $899, while they last.

Also, is the room 12' wide and 18' deep or the other way around, and is there any space behind the viewing position?

I'm making quick posts when I have a few seconds at work, so I'll give some more specific suggestions once I know these last couple of questions.

stuempelj

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
first, to repeat myself, I highly recommend you check out the SR 6013, which Best Buy (the last time I checked) had for $899, while they last.

Also, is the room 12' wide and 18' deep or the other way around, and is there any space behind the viewing position?

I'm making quick posts when I have a few seconds at work, so I'll give some more specific suggestions once I know these last couple of questions.

I will be checking out the SR6013, thank you for the heads up.

Sorry, the dimensions are actually closer to 14' wide and 18' deep with no space behind the viewing position. I may eventually want to put in ceiling mounted speakers for ATMOS but that wouldn't be for a while. Will the atmos enabled floorstanding speakers that reflect sound off the ceiling (Klipsch or other brands) be worth investing in?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I find reflecting (Atmos Enabled) speakers aren't worth much, unless you have no option. Others disagree. How high is the ceiling and what is it made of?

Is it possible to move the viewing position forward? 18' is a LONG viewing distance, plus having space behind opens up a lot of great options for audio. If it's a multi-use room, I know that can be difficult.

stuempelj

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
I find reflecting (Atmos Enabled) speakers aren't worth much, unless you have no option. Others disagree. How high is the ceiling and what is it made of?

Is it possible to move the viewing position forward? 18' is a LONG viewing distance, plus having space behind opens up a lot of great options for audio. If it's a multi-use room, I know that can be difficult.
Unfortunately, it is a multi room and I just don't have much options as far as space to use behind the viewing area. To throw another wrench in the works, I may be moving to a new home within 1-2 years. Because of this, I plan on buying the receiver, center channel and floorstanding speakers first. Hopefully I will have more options in the next house, but I don't want rely heavily on how the current room is setup if that all ends up changing. That being said, should I even bother by starting with a nice 5.1 setup that I plan on building onto later?

The ceiling is a "popcorn" finish on plaster.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No reason to hesitate. Any 5.1 system you get now is likely to adapt to the new home, unless the new room is massively larger. At the least, you'll be able to expand it to rear surrounds and/or Atmos. The SR6013 (or the Denon 3600) can drive 9 channels and process 11. So you have a lot of room for growth.

BTW your ceiling material makes reflecting speakers a virtual no-go.

stuempelj

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
No reason to hesitate. Any 5.1 system you get now is likely to adapt to the new home, unless the new room is massively larger. At the least, you'll be able to expand it to rear surrounds and/or Atmos. The SR6013 (or the Denon 3600) can drive 9 channels and process 11. So you have a lot of room for growth.

BTW your ceiling material makes reflecting speakers a virtual no-go.
Perfect! I am most likely going to steer clear of the "reflecting" floorstanding speakers and wait until I can build a better atmos system then. As far as the 5.1 setup, any brands you like better thank klipsch? Any reason I should stay away from them?

Also, keep reading great reviews on the SVS subwoofers. In your opinion, are they worth the money?

Thanks for the help!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I haven't gone away. I was just hoping someone would chime in with other suggestions. I will be back.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Honestly, if you're serious about moving in a couple of years I would sit tight for now. Get your dream room in your dream home and them 'IMAGINE" what you can accomplish.

stuempelj

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
I’m torn. The layout of that room is a tremendous negative.
I’m now thinking of building it in my living room instead of my basement. This is more of a square layout. It’s 11 feet wide and 13 feet long. Still a plaster popcorn ceiling but I’m leaning away from the reflective Atmos speakers anyway. I guess I feel like building a really nice 5.1 system as my “base” can’t hurt? Then hopefully moving will allow me to actually customize something nicer. Any harm in doing this? Are those dimensions any more forgiving?

ady1583

Auditioning
Real Name
Aditya
Dude !@stuempelj so what did you end up doing? I have the exact same setup in mind. Did you mix and match your speakers? What speakers did you ultimately end up getting? Did you stick with Marantz or the Denon 3600?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks