What's new

Multiple Subs??? (1 Viewer)

Hey guys:
I have a "newbie" question for you. How do you hook-up two or more subs? Do some recievers have multiple in-puts for subs? Or you hook them up in "series"? I know my current reciever (cheap Sony) only has one input for the sub.

The reason I ask is because I am planning my HT and I am thinking of going with 2 or 4 of the modified Sony Subs instead of one SVS or HSU. I can get them for about $100/each.

Thanks in advanced.

Andy

P.S. I am not so concerned about "get the SVS instead" comments. This is more of a general question. Or how do I run dual 25-31's if you like that question better?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
1) The subwoofer jack in question on receiver is an output, not an input.
2) Most people simply use a "Y" cable to split the signal into two.
Some subs (or amps) have a loop through, allowing you to pass signal back out of them to the next unit.
Finally- there are several audio boxes that will provide this type of splitting for you, if you're uncomfortable with using a passive splitter like a Y adapter. Active splitters (like press boxes for pro audio) offer active splitting of one input into several balanced outputs for feeding to amplifiers.
-Vince

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi

Most receivers have a single output for the sub. Buy a "Y" RCA splitter (1 male end, 2 female ends) and connect the subs using the line level RCA connections.

With multiple subs, it's almost always recommended to locate them side by side or on top of each other.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the quick response Vince.

I was thinking input because I stick the subwoofer cable "into" the reciever. But I do realize that the signal goes from the reciever to the speaker/sub thus making it an output as you said.

Thanks again Vince.

Andy

P.S. And Paul too...!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks