What's new

Stepping Up My Game (1 Viewer)

fishook

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Craig
Even though I am a rock and roll kid from the 70's I am new to the AV world. This is what I would say is my first real AV system and I look forward to learning more about it everyday. I always new what I like to hear but with life happening I never had the extra time or money to throw at a decent system. Now my kids are grown and all my girls are married its time for me to start building something I can appreciate.

This is what I am starting with:

85" LG UHD TV
Denon X4700H
Klipsch RP 8000F Towers
RP 404C Center
SPL 120 Sub
R5650 S II Surrounds
Pro 16 RC Atmos

I took all of your advice and against my better judgment I decided to set the system up myself. If you know me you know that I am very electronically challenged.

The set up could not have gone better. The Denon was a breeze to connect. I read the manual cover to cover multiple times before, during and after the install and I feel I have the system operating about 75% of where it should be. I am so glad I did this myself. I now have a very good understanding of all of the settings and how its connected. If I would have paid to have this done I would be lost trying to balance everything out.

The learning curve was very steep for me. I do not understand many of the settings and how they work together. Crossovers, sub settings, LFE and the many other things I will need to understand to get the most out of the system.

So far its sounds amazing. But I have a ton of questions and info I need help with so I hope you boys can help me out.

The first question I will ask is I cannot get to the sounds settings on my Denon remote while I am listening to music or watchin a movie. I have to be on my cable set top input to bring it up. This is annoying as I have to go in and out of the music apps to make any changes.

Any Ideas?

Thank again in advance for your help.

HT System.jpg

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The first question I will ask is I cannot get to the sounds settings on my Denon remote while I am listening to music or watchin a movie. I have to be on my cable set top input to bring it up. This is annoying as I have to go in and out of the music apps to make any changes.
All your sources should be running through the receiver in order to view the settings in the receiver. You might need to explain what sound settings you are trying to adjust.

fishook

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Craig
I thinks that's the problem. I hooked up the HDMI for the bluray and cable box to the HDMI's on the TV because the Denon was not reading the imput from them.

I need to go back and move those now to the Denon HDMI's.

The sound settings I am trying to adjust are for speaker crossovers and EQ.

Thanks I am sure you are correct.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yep, everything needs to go through the receiver.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
HDMI OUT from the Denon should be the only thing connected to your TV/display. All your other components should be connected to the Denon's INPUT jacks (HDMI or otherwise).

Once that is done, you should be able to bring up the Denon's on-screen settings interface no matter which input source you're using.

fishook

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Craig
I changed the HDMI connections to all route through the receiver and yes the Denons interface now opens up in the Blu-ray and cable source but it will not open up in the Bluetooth or the HEOS while listening to UHD music.. This means I have to close out the music app while listening to make any changes to the EQ or the sound settings.

Any Idea what I can do to make this easier to adjust sound settings?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The TV has to be on the hdmi input from the receiver to view the receiver's menu.

If you have a smartphone or tablet, I suggest you download the Denon app to be able to view and adjust the receiver's settings. Honestly, if the receiver is set up correctly, there should be no need to constantly change things.

fishook

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Craig
I hope once it is set up correct I wont be changing settings. I have not got there yet. Its brand new system and I am new to this.
"The TV has to be on the hdmi input from the receiver to view the receiver's menu"
I thought the ARCe connection did this? It seems to only be the HEOS app I am having the issue.

I like the idea of downloading the denon app on my phone. I will try that.

Thanks.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I thought the ARCe connection did this? It seems to only be the HEOS app I am having the issue.
ARC can pass audio from the TV back to the receiver, but in order for you to see the the receiver's menu, the TV must be set to the input for the hdmi cable coming from the receiver.

The Denon app is your best solution.

fishook

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Craig
Ok great I did not know the TV had that setting. I will look for it tonight.

Thanks man!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks