What's new

Mr. Ed -- The Complete Series (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
A horse is a horse, of course, and for those of you who like sophisticated, carefully written comedy, your patience has been rewarded, as tvshowsondvd has announced that Shout! is releasing a complete series of the Mr. Ed show: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mister-Ed-The-Complete-Series/20243. All but one season has been released before, but some of the seasons were on Shout! Select, and I could never justify it for a show I really have never watched. So I am looking forward to getting this. Hopefully, Should follows up with a complete series of Father Knows Best that has original broadcast prints of season 1.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
What about the season 1 episodes that were cut on the S1 DVD? Most of them were uncut on Hulu, and when Nick at Nite and TVLand first aired the series in 1985 and 1996 respectively.

But regardless, another Fox-owned series is about to be finished.

los.sa

Auditioning
Real Name
Losa
Vahan_Nisanain said:
What about the season 1 episodes that were cut on the S1 DVD? Most of them were uncut on Hulu, and when Nick at Nite and TVLand first aired the series in 1985 and 1996 respectively.

SINCE WE HAVE ALL SEEN HOW LAZY SHOUT IS, EVERYONE DOUBTS THEY FIX ALL THE ERRORS ON SEASON 1

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Didn't Shout already say they were going to release seasons 6 and 7 independently of The Bob Newhart Show? If they don't want to alienate a lot of fans I suggest they do and do the same for Mr Ed and seasons 7 through 11 of The Jeffersons. Undoubtedly at some point they will. It took them awhile but they did release the final seasons of The Sarah Silverman Show and Route 66 after releasing the complete series and generating many negative reviews on amazon.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Vahan_Nisanain said:

Vahan_Nisanain said:

Yes, the complete series set would be much better received if they went back and corrected the cut season 1 episodes, but you're probably correct.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i liked it, as a kid.

but i thought it might be too silly for me, at this point ?

however, i was not thinking of it being described as a sophisticated, carefully written comedy.

so OF COURSE i intend to be open-minded about it

along with the adams family, a favorite tv jingle of mine.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Didn't Shout already say they were going to release seasons 6 and 7 independently of The Bob Newhart Show? If they don't want to alienate a lot of fans I suggest they do and do the same for Mr Ed and seasons 7 through 11 of The Jeffersons.
I have no doubt that they will release the final season of Mister Ed as well as the final two seasons of The Bob Newhart Show but the question is when and why they are making people wait in the first place?!. In this instance, however, where only the final season has not been released, it makes no sense to me as to why they don't release seaon 6 on the same day as the complete series set, not a very wise business decision IMO?!

I doubt very much that those who faithfully purchased the first 5 seasons (two of which were Shout! Select releases) are now going to purchase the complete series set just to get the final season- I know I wouldn't do that. Its been 3 years since the last release, now they are going to make people wait 6 months or another year just to get the final season- great way to reward loyal customers who purchase your products Shout!

I am surprised this is even getting a complete series set, seasons 4 & 5 did not sell well in retail and were moved to Shout! Select as online releases. Season 6 has never been released and now all of a sudden they decide to put out a complete series set:?!

As for The Bob Newhart Show, I would have released Seasons 5 & 6 first and then put out a complete series set, just like they did with All in the Family where S7-9 were released first followed by the complete series set.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
jdee28 said:
Here's hoping Shout fixes the first season.
If they are smart, they will fix the edited episodes and use this as a selling point for the complete series set- 'Contains all Season 1 epsiodes uncut'. Of course, this would tick off those that purchased the season 1 set as they would need to buy the complete series set in order to get the uncut S1- I doubt that Shout! would re-release S1, they don't seem to be the type of company that does re-releases, even if its to fix a problem with the original release.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Shout Factory did go back and fix screw ups on the Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman set . They had been screwed up on a earlier Sony DVD release.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
The Obsolete Man said:
If the first season episodes are complete, I'll sell the sets off and buy the complete series.Otherwise, I can wait for season 6./Just copy and paste this to the inevitable Rhoda complete series thread, and change 6 to 5.
I would double-dip on Rhoda if they go back and re-do the abysmal S1 prints for the Complete Series release.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
jimmyjet said:
i liked it, as a kid.

but i thought it might be too silly for me, at this point ?

however, i was not thinking of it being described as a sophisticated, carefully written comedy.

so OF COURSE i intend to be open-minded about it

along with the adams family, a favorite tv jingle of mine.
I always thought MISTER ED would be too silly for me, too. But for the past couple of years I've been watching it on ThisTV and now AntennaTV and it's something of a revelation. It really is a well-written comedy. In fact, the character of Mister Ed himself has become one of my alltime favorite characters in any sitcom. They put him in funny situations and gave him lots of great lines.

It goes without saying that the trained horse was absolutely incredible. It was probably the best performance by an animal in the history of television, and that includes Lassie, Rin Tin Tin and Flipper! (Besides, there were several dogs and dolphins playing those parts, but there was only one horse playing Mister Ed.)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi joe,

one of the nice things about re-watching this stuff.

my memories for the most part, are how i interacted with it, as a little kid.

how i do so as an adult, may be totally different !!

litb is a perfect example for me. i liked beaver the most, as a kid, because i was a kid.

but in re-watching, i loved the interaction between ward and june - stuff that would have passed right over me, at the time !!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
now you guys have me actually interested in seeing this again !!!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Boy... Shout! is *killing* my pocketbook this fall! I already own S1 & S2 but have held off the others due to the somewhat inflated cost to purchase S4 & S5 from their Shout! "Select" program. Even with a double-dip on S1 & S2 the current Amazon price for the full series will be less expensive than purchasing S3-S5 *plus* include it'll include S6! Looks like the grand-kids will get some of *another* classic TV show (and one they like) to watch at home. :)

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Mister Ed is the perfect example of a dumb idea that was executed to perfection. There is no way this show should have worked, but a lot of talented people made it work. It was one of the few shows that I thought got better every year.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I'm quite disappointed they're releasing a complete series set without an individual season 6 release. I bought ALL of the previous Mister Ed DVDs STRAIGHT through Shout! Factory's site in order to support them the best I could. I was (and still am) very grateful that they released these in the first place, Mister Ed is one of my all-time favorite shows, but this situation is a tad ridiculous.

Meanwhile, Mork & Mindy is getting a season 4 release on the very same day as a complete series release. I'd like to think it's not to exploit Williams' tragic death, and the fact that they kept up on Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley throughout the years may imply they would have come back to M&M pretty soon, either way, as a day one purchaser of all the previous M&M seasons I'm glad I have the option to pick up the single missing season rather than forced to re-buy what I've already shelled out money for. I very much hope that Shout! gets it together and gives it's loyal customers what they want.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Tommy R said:
I'm quite disappointed they're releasing a complete series set without an individual season 6 release. I bought ALL of the previous Mister Ed DVDs STRAIGHT through Shout! Factory's site in order to support them the best I could. I was (and still am) very grateful that they released these in the first place, Mister Ed is one of my all-time favorite shows, but this situation is a tad ridiculous.

Meanwhile, Mork & Mindy is getting a season 4 release on the very same day as a complete series release. I'd like to think it's not to exploit Williams' tragic death, and the fact that they kept up on Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley throughout the years may imply they would have come back to M&M pretty soon, either way, as a day one purchaser of all the previous M&M seasons I'm glad I have the option to pick up the single missing season rather than forced to re-buy what I've already shelled out money for. I very much hope that Shout! gets it together and gives it's loyal customers what they want.
I'm guessing they will get around to it eventually, but releasing Season 6 at the same time as the complete set would have been the nice thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks