Mr. Ed -- The Complete Series

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I did see one for sale on E-Bay where an actual picture of the set is shown. I downloaded the pictures and the sticker on the shrink wrap looks like some of the writing is slightly different then the bootleg set I have. I did a quick color correction to get the white on the box to look pure white and the other colors look different. The red in the right corner of the box is deeper and the light green around the rooster at the upper left is different.

Another thing is between the 'S' & 'T' of the Mister Ed logo I can see detail in Wilbur's shirt that isn't there in my bootleg set.
If I was gung-ho about finding and purchasing an out-of-print cd/dvd/bluray, nowadays I insist on seeing the actual discs in person. (I encountered one too many bootlegs over the years, that I simply do not trust online listings at all anymore for out-of-print cd/dvd/bluray type stuff).

The first place I would be looking at are the local used cd/dvd/bluray record stores, or in nearby towns. The folks running the few competently run record stores still left over, will know which titles are out-of-print and/or rare. (Easy to figure out which outlets are run by incompetents). If they're a competently run operation, they will allow customers to take a look at the actual used discs before buying them. For example, I would look for things like ifpi codes and whether the discs are single-layer or two-layer. (In the past, bootleggers usually didn't waste their time trying to to fake ifpi codes).

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This may sound like a silly question for @crowe-t

Do any of these bootleg single-layer Mr. Ed discs have a strong "sickly sweet" sugar stench?

Over the years I have encountered bootleg multidisc dvd sets, which have a strong "sickly sweet" stench. I suspect such illegal discs might be manufactured at the same illicit dvd manufacturing facility.

JoeDoakes

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Is there any way to tell if the Complete Series set is a bootleg by looking at it?

Why would someone go to the trouble to bootleg Mr. Ed in a way that's not immediately obvious?

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I imagine pirates are betting on the ignorance of many possible customers.

Only the hardcore folks on here and other dvd/bluray message boards, would notice such bootlegs.

Reactions: Flashgear

crowe-t

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
This may sound like a silly question for @crowe-t

Do any of these bootleg single-layer Mr. Ed discs have a strong "sickly sweet" sugar stench?

Over the years I have encountered bootleg multidisc dvd sets, which have a strong "sickly sweet" stench. I suspect such illegal discs might be manufactured at the same illicit dvd manufacturing facility.
I don't notice a strong "sickly sweet" sugar stench. I compared them to the smell of other DVDs and they all smell slightly different.

John*Wells

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I have both the original Shrink Wrap individual Seasons released by Shout. The original shrink wrap first Season has the Syndication edits. Shout fixed that when the released the Complete Series. However, one thing that Irks me is on both the shrink wrap season 5 individual and the Season 5 included in the complete Series release, the sound in the first Ep with Col. and Mrs. Kirkwood appears to Fluctuate . it happens in the act where Carol and Wilbur are arguing over when they will be able to move back into their own home instead of staying in the Trailer in the back yard. The sound goes really low in that scene in both sets and I have never gotten an explanation for it

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
A quick buck?
I guess you're joking. Mr. Ed has fairly limited appeal. I find it hard to believe that it would be a particularly lucrative target for a bootlegger or worth it to do a detailed reproduction of the original packaging.

The Obsolete Man

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I guess you're joking. Mr. Ed has fairly limited appeal. I find it hard to believe that it would be a particularly lucrative target for a bootlegger or worth it to do a detailed reproduction of the original packaging.
They do it to virtually every Shout title.

Hell, nothing is safe. I once wound up with a bootleg copy of the PBS release of ITV's Victoria off of ebay.

So, if they're bootlegging British period dramas...

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
They do it to virtually every Shout title.

Hell, nothing is safe. I once wound up with a bootleg copy of the PBS release of ITV's Victoria off of ebay.

So, if they're bootlegging British period dramas...
Nowadays I rarely ever see PBS released stuff in local dump bins. I'm guessing PBS doesn't manufacture huge quantities anymore, and is willing to hang on to their own inventory now.

In terms of uk tv shows, the only region1 released stuff I ever seen in local dump bins was old stuff released back in the 2000s decade. After 2010 or so, there's considerably less and less of it showing up (outside of PBS and maybe "Acorn").

crowe-t

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
Does anyone here have a real Shout Factory the Mister ED The Complete Series DVD set you can post pictures of?

I'd like to see if I can see any differences between a real set and the bootleg set I got.

If anyone has a real set they are selling I'm interested.

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Consider the recent rumors that MGM might be doing distribution through Warner, future releases of catalog MGM shows (such as Mr Ed, Green Acres, etc ...) might possibly be re-released by Warner or Warner Archive.

crowe-t

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
Consider the recent rumors that MGM might be doing distribution through Warner, future releases of catalog MGM shows (such as Mr Ed, Green Acres, etc ...) might possibly be re-released by Warner or Warner Archive.

Has there been any word if Warner will be releasing any of the old shows like Mister Ed or Green Acres?

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
No word currently.

From past precedent, Warner doesn't really outsource much to third party companies. Warner usually dumps their less popular movies/shows to Warner Archive.

(There were some amazon listings for mgm catalog blurays of Rocky and James Bond titles, which were listed as being released by Warner later this month).