What's new

Press Release MPI Press Release: The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet Seasons 1 & 2 (DVD) (1 Viewer)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
For my viewing experience in HD, as an example, I can see the fibers of Oz’s cashmere suit. A far cry from the public domain quality I’ve seen over the years, and even the superior SD quality of the various official compilations. It also seems a bit sharper than my new DVD versions to my untrained eye.

Is it worth the $30 upgrade? Your mileage may vary. A good up-res from a newer Blu-ray player may be just fine using DVDs.
Yes, when comparing the differences between SD and HD versions, the first thing I look for is whether the SD and HD versions are from the same master. When the same masters are used for both, the improvements are going to be incremental based on how much new detail is evident and the viewing ratio of screen size and sitting position, and even that is further determined by how detailed/soft the original elements are. Since the new SD and HD versions appear to be from the same masters, the "your mileage may vary" may be the best outlook.

However, when the HD versions are from new pristine masters, the differences can be huge. In the case of OH, compared to the previous DVD sets based on older public domain prints that have been round for a while, these new SD and HD versions may both be considered a major upgrade.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The first disc of my season 2 set was defective but Amazon already has the replacement on the way so no harm, no foul. Better disc 1 of season 2 than disc 1 of season 1 since it didn’t delay my viewing.

I may ultimately double dip on the HD digital purchase but the retailers that have it so far aren’t my usual providers. Hopefully it’ll come to a storefront I use more frequently.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Yes, when comparing the differences between SD and HD versions, the first thing I look for is whether the SD and HD versions are from the same master. When the same masters are used for both, the improvements are going to be incremental based on how much new detail is evident and the viewing ratio of screen size and sitting position, and even that is further determined by how detailed/soft the original elements are. Since the new SD and HD versions appear to be from the same masters, the "your mileage may vary" may be the best outlook.
I agree, the SD and HD versions appear to be from the same masters. The SD version is a quantum leap forward from past versions given the significant clean-up work that was performed to create these new transfers, and the HD version is a nice incremental bump up from the SD, providing some additional clarity and detail to the picture, based on what I’m seeing.

I like having the discs to own as part of my collection, but I also enjoy having the digital HD versions for not only a somewhat upgraded viewing experience of one of my favorite shows, but also for the flexibility of being able to watch it on any device at any time. I often will start on one tv, and finish on another tv or device later on, picking up right where I left off. It’s nice having the Nelsons with you wherever you go! 😀

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Amazon just sent me an email advising me that I saved 00.01-one cent on each of my O&H sets received yesterday. See-it pays to pre-order!
I got the same notice, I saved a whopping two cents on the purchase. Wow what a huge savings. :lol:

Unfortunately I don't know if I want to purchase more seasons, the season 1 and 2 discs are not formatted in full screen and some episodes are rebroadcast versions instead of the original airings, I'm not thrilled with either of these developments so I'll have to mull it over if I want to proceed with seasons 3 and 4.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
While I've not yet received a shipping notice from Target, mine have now entered the stage where they can't be cancelled. That usually means they'll ship within ~24 hours. Since they normally ship UPS SurePost (which supposedly hands of to the USPS for final delivery though they rarely do which causes a delivery delay of 5-24 hours) the sets will likely not arrive before Monday evening at the earliest.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Unfortunately I don't know if I want to purchase more seasons, the season 1 and 2 discs are not formatted in full screen and some episodes are rebroadcast versions instead of the original airings, I'm not thrilled with either of these developments so I'll have to mull it over if I want to proceed with seasons 3 and 4.
Lee I have a great idea for you. Put that 2¢ towards a NEW 32" LG monitor.

Happy_Money_Face.gif

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Lee I have a great idea for you. Put that 2¢ towards a NEW 32" LG monitor.

LOL, perhaps I should consider that.

Seriously though, I will probably have to change/upgrade things eventually because the CRT TV's I have won't last forever. My Sony Trinitron 21" set conked out recently, I had that set for about 25 years. I currently have a 13" CRT TV in the bedroom and a 27" Zenith stereo console TV in the living room. Both sets are about 20 years old.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
LOL, perhaps I should consider that.

Seriously though, I will probably have to change/upgrade things eventually because the CRT TV's I have won't last forever. My Sony Trinitron 21" set conked out recently, I had that set for about 25 years. I have a 13" CRT TV in the bedroom and a 27" Zenith stereo console TV in the living room.
You are fortunate to have had them this long. My last CRT conked out about 12 years ago. I was quite resistant to upgrading. Old habits are hard to break. But once I finally did I realized all the talk about never getting a screen just as good was just that. Lotta talk. Sony will always be my go to monitor. But in my office and my outdoor terrace I have 32" Samsung monitors which are just perfect if you are sitting close to the screen. Classic tv looks great on all three as good as they ever did on my old CRT's. A new decent 32" monitor should cost about 2/3 of what you'll probably spend on the entire Ozzie & Harriet series. Go for it you won't be disappointed.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Well my S1 and S2 sets FINALLY shipped out from Amazon, two days after release date. Way to put the "expedited" into "Global Expedited Shipping" there, Amazon. Oh, well, at least they're out the door and on the way. Should have them in my hot little hands by late next week if all goes well.

In the meantime, guys - help a poor overseas-living shlub out and post some more reviews, screencaps, comments on the episodes, etc., would ya? That will help the days pass faster till my sets arrive.

Josh, isn't it about time for another soda and O & H pic? ;)

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Well my S1 and S2 sets FINALLY shipped out from Amazon, two days after release date. Way to put the "expedited" into "Global Expedited Shipping" there, Amazon. Oh, well, at least they're out the door and on the way. Should have them in my hot little hands by late next week if all goes well.

In the meantime, guys - help a poor overseas-living shlub out and post some more reviews, screencaps, comments on the episodes, etc., would ya? That will help the days pass faster till my sets arrive.

Josh, isn't it about time for another soda and O & H pic? ;)
I received a notice the other day that my sets from Target wouldn't arrive until next Tuesday 6/28. However right after that they sent an e-mail saying they just got shipped out so maybe I'll get them by the end of this week.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I received a notice the other day that my sets from Target wouldn't arrive until next Tuesday 6/28. However right after that they sent an e-mail saying they just got shipped out so maybe I'll get them by the end of this week.
Hope so, Tim! That'd be a nice thing to go into the weekend with.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
I received my season dvd sets 1 and 2 yesterday a few hours after I bought the HD versions on Vudu.Both are good.There is 1 rebroadcast version in the season 1 set and 4 in season 2 so a total of 5 out of 78 total episodes.Not bad. 1 of the rebroadcast eps runs 26.02/The Party and another 25.48/The Boys Paper Route.Great old fashioned escapist fare.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks