What's new

Press Release MPI Press Release: The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet Seasons 1 & 2 (DVD) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
FWIW, I’ve watched the first four episodes of season 1 on the DVD set and I’ve also purchased the HD digital from Vudu (thanks, unused coupons!) and spot checked the first four episodes.

I should state something up front: if I choose to be, I can be enormously picky about technical quality. It’s a combination of being in this hobby since I was two years old and having worked professionally in DVD production, digital distribution and archival research. I don’t mean that in a boastful way or a “I know more than you do” kind of way. Just that, if I want to put my critical viewing hat on, I can choose to find issues or spot compromises made during production/mastering.

I’m not going to attempt doing that here. These are 70 year old episodes from film elements that have had difficult lives, and bringing 39 of them to disc at a price point under $30 is a heroic endeavor as far as I’m concerned. There’s no upside to pointing out some nitpick that the overwhelming majority of the audience will never notice and wouldn’t care about if they did.

The best quality classic TV release from that era I’ve seen in recent years is the season one set of Abbott & Costello Show from ClassicFlix and 3D Film Archive. This isn’t quite as good as that, but those guys had presumably a higher budget and more time with about a year to do 26 episodes, rather than a couple years to do 435 episodes.

You could almost call O&H a victim of its own success - had it only run for a year or two, there would have been far fewer episodes which would have made this a much easier project.

So with all of that said, I’m really liking what I’m seeing.

There isn’t a drastic difference between the DVD and HD versions, particularly from a normal seating distance. There were a couple minor things on the DVD I spotted that I wondered at first if I was seeing compression artifacts or HD to NTSC conversion issues, but when I looked at the HD version, the same minor things were there - in other words, they’re either present on the film elements or are evidence of digital tinkering to remove far worse problems, but not signs of poor DVD authoring. There are a number of tiny things that maybe could have been done differently for slightly higher quality, but we’re talking the kind of things that would maybe make it look 10% better and push the cost up to $100 a set. I can’t imagine that was even part of the discussion - there’s no way for MPI or anyone else to sell enough copies at $100 a season with over a dozen seasons.

Even without considering all of the obstacles that go into making a set like this, I can easily recommend this set. Grade it on a curve, and it’s even more of a no-brainer to recommend.

There is a real night and day difference here from the PD copies everyone has been used to for decades. There’s even noticeable (if not nearly as dramatic) improvement over the officially released episodes from the older Shout Factory sets.

Now if you’re someone who bought the DVD and are on the fence about buying an HD digital version to - YMMV, but speaking for myself, I probably will not be double dipping on the whole series. The HD versions do soar slightly higher at their best, but also show a little more at their worst than is noticeable on the DVD. The DVDs still look better than the show would have over rabbit ears in 1952 anyway.

Overall purchase and value for money is an A+ in my book. Technical grade on the DVD is probably an A- all things considered, but like I said, I’m a tough grader.

Hope this was in some way helpful to anyone with questions here :)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Thanks for the fantastic review, Josh. Your thoughts are always appreciated and welcomed. And I certainly agree with you that the Abbott and Costello Show restoration is hands-down one of the best I have ever seen. These DVD sets are not on that level but they’re still extremely well done, all things considered. Zero complaints from me.

Gary “long live the Nelsons“ O.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Thanks for the fantastic review, Josh. Your thoughts are always appreciated and welcomed. And I certainly agree with you that the Abbott and Costello Show restoration is hands-down one of the best I have ever seen. These DVD sets are not on that level but they’re still extremely well done, all things considered. Zero complaints from me.

Gary “long live the Nelsons“ O.
Same here. After Shout Factory decided not to go further with their releases I figured that would be it . We’d have to live with SF, Mill Creek,Alpha, and whatever else we could dredge up.
Then after Sam Nelson’s campaign seemed to lose steam I thought that was it.
Then we got the excellent Time Life releases and again I thought that would be it.
And now we most likely will see the entire series in nice quality.
Nothing to complain about here . So what if a couple of episodes are later prints . And we all know the revisited episodes are there -it’s part of the package.
But for those of us who literally grew up on this show ( and Ricky’s records) these season sets are a reason to celebrate!

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
I am wondering if any of these early episodes will be the rebroadcasts that aired a few years after they were originally on. Example: I watched the second season episode David's 17th Birthday. Both my collection from Ebay and the Time Life set was the rebroadcast out in 1960(it was originally aired in 1953). By the way, for comparison sake, my 1 set contained everything including the Kodak commercial halfway through the episode. The Time Life had most everything including Ricky singing "Glory Train", Ozzie's intro to the rebroadcast and his Easter Seals promo however the 1 Kodak commercial was missing along with the announcer saying this is an ABC Television Network Presentation at the end.
I bought the HD version of this on Vudu not knowing it was a rebroadcast. Is this why the picture quality looks better than the previous one I bought on YouTube? I noticed a difference in quality.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
In Post #219, RolandL asked what this picture is from.
3.jpg

It's a publicity still for "Here Come the Nelsons".
3e288f82dd202a51829fc701bcc659d7.jpg

Ricky and David's outfits stay the same, but Harriett and Ozzie change.
d6827ad4f64732f78aee298226a2de7d (1).jpg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Just got an email from Target that my copies of S1 & S2 are out for delivery!

Of course, tracking shows UPS saying "UPS will be in your area and will deliver your package a day early." Which is bunk... had they handed off to USPS like they were *supposed* to do this morning I'd have it by noon (It arrived at UPS around 2am, they normally do the hand off around 4am, and USPS processes and puts in the delivery queue around 6am). With UPS doing the delivery themselves it won't show up until ~5:30pm. And I get off work today at noon... I shouldn't complain though as the original delivery date was Monday. I know *exactly* what I'll be watching later today... :D

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just got an email from Target that my copies of S1 & S2 are out for delivery!

Of course, tracking shows UPS saying "UPS will be in your area and will deliver your package a day early." Which is bunk... had they handed off to USPS like they were *supposed* to do this morning I'd have it by noon (It arrived at UPS around 2am, they normally do the hand off around 4am, and USPS processes and puts in the delivery queue around 6am). With UPS doing the delivery themselves it won't show up until ~5:30pm. And I get off work today at noon... I shouldn't complain though as the original delivery date was Monday. I know *exactly* what I'll be watching later today... :D
Yeah, my "Delivery expected Monday June 27" package was delivered yesterday morning. So again, Target pushes the Delivery date out and makes you feel good when it arrives early.

It was straight UPS, though. No handoffs, which probably helped with the delivery time.

mark-edk

Second Unit
I watched quite a few from season 1 and the quality is so much better than the PD prints we have been stuck with for decades that I feel a little guilty at complaining about the audio. The noise-reduction is clumsily applied; in most cases the side-effects are minor but in a couple of S01 episodes (Dental Receptionist, Whistler's Daughter) it's more heavy-handed, with gurgling/flanging effects occasionally audible, as background sounds get swallowed up into digital silence. Several shows in the 'best of' set also had this problem and I probably complained about it at the time. But I"m still looking forward to the next two seasons.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I think it's unfortunate if even one episode has to be the rebroadcast version but I imagine that some of the originals could be lost so they had to use the rebroadcasts. The other issue is that the discs are not formatted in 4:3 full screen. The Ozzie & Harriet show is a classic but the season 1 and 2 DVD from MPI is not what I expected or was hoping for and it's doubtful that I will purchase more seasons. A disappointment but it's alright and I'll get over it. :cool: Have a good weekend fellow forum members! :) :wave-hello:

mark-edk

Second Unit
I remember at some point noting which season it was where they switched from twin beds to one large bed in the O&H bedroom, which was considered a pioneering moment in US tv. Today I watched a season 1 episode 'Separate Rooms' where all four family members end up sleeping in his/her own room. At the end Ozzie & Harriet are back together in their bedroom, in one bed, in 1953. You can tell when Harriet puts her feet on Ozzie's back even though the camera just shows forms moving around under the covers. In an earlier scene Ozzie had one foot on the floor while talking to Harriet in bed (I remember reading somewhere that was a network requirement). After this the the twin beds would show up for a season or two and then the single bed would come back for good.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I remember at some point noting which season it was where they switched from twin beds to one double bed in the O&H bedroom, which was considered a pioneering moment in US tv. Today I watched a season 1 episode 'Separate Rooms' where all four family members end up sleeping in his/her own room. At the end Ozzie & Harriet are back together in their bedroom, in a double bed, in 1953. You can tell when Harriet puts her feet on Ozzie's back even though the camera just shows forms moving around under the covers.
I always thought Bewitched broke that mold?

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
It could have been either, I suppose. It looked like one bedspread above but who knows about the underneath.
It was the Hand-cuff episode. I's been a while since I watched that episode, but I think they pushed the beds together because Lucy and Ricky had accidently hand-cuffed themselves together, which made sleeping a problem because Ricky liked to sleep on his side.
1656122298524.png

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
In the first season of I Love Lucy, Lucy and Ricky share the same bed. From the second season onward, separate beds.
That’s because after Little Ricky was conceived, there was no reason for a single bed anymore.

The whole thing was so silly back then. Ozzie had to keep one foot on the floor? He was married to his co-star!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks