What's new

MPEG playback problem in windows media player (1 Viewer)

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I am not sure how to explain this problem so I'll try to be as descriptive as possible.

Some video clips, labeled with the mpg extension, will not allow me to move forward through the clip, and often get hung up on a video frame, though continue to play the audio.

It will display the length of the clip as much shorter then it actually is. In another words total time might show as 1:10, but the clip is twenty min long, and when the counter gets to 1:10, the clip will keep playing though the counter will stop. Also like I said sometimes the clip will stop at a certain video frame, though the audio will keep playing.

Some mpg extension clips play fine, others dont. I have had this problem with wm 8, wm 9, and now wm 10. I have managed to fix the problem in the past and not know how, but whenever I create a fresh image of windows the problem comes back.

I did not encode any of the clips I have problems with, so I dont know what was used. I have installed the latest divx and xvid codecs.

Anyone encounter this problem before, or have any ideas.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Nobody has seen anything like this before?

Does anyone have suggestions for things that could be interfering with mpeg1 playback. If I use powerdvd to view the mpeg files in question, I dont seem to have a problem.

Perhaps the mpeg1 codec on the computer itself is corrupted?

JasonMC

Stunt Coordinator
benson,

I have the same problem. I would love to know what to do that can fix this.

Tony Loewen

Stunt Coordinator
I had this problem before I installed WMP 9 and a few other codecs, then all of a sudden I started getting a message that media player was trying to open a file with an incorrect extension(or something similar). Open File anyway? I would click yes and they would play normally. I assume they were avi's relabelled as mpegs, for what reason I don't know. What you could do is set windows to show extensions (under my computer, click tools, folder options, click on the view tab, and uncheck "hide extensions for know file types") and then try renaming the files with an avi, asf, or wmv extension. I always choose to show extensions, if you download files, alot of viruses (virii?) are hidden/misnamed this way. (i.e. coolsong.mp3.scr) This might help, otherwise I'm not sure of another fix.

Benny G

Second Unit
"It will display the length of the clip as much shorter then it actually is. In another words total time might show as 1:10, but the clip is twenty min long, and when the counter gets to 1:10, the clip will keep playing though the counter will stop. Also like I said sometimes the clip will stop at a certain video frame, though the audio will keep playing."

I had this problem for a long time. I can't remember if I had your other problem. Anyway, I fixed it by uninstalling all of my video codecs and reinstalling them. I know it sure was bugging me that I couldn't jump around easily in the video..:angry:

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
It could just be some poor encoding. If you think it is your decoder try installing FFDShow, set it to raw video (in codecs > raw video > all supported), and let it do the decoding.

Also throw the clip in Gspot to see what kind of settings were used on encode.

Lastly Zoom Player can be much more stable than WMP. Might as well try it if you think it's the player's problem.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I think it might be the player, the clips I have trouble with work ok with powerdvd.

However I like using WMP and I have had this problem before and managed to fix it.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I can't play most MPEG-1 files with WMP, but if I use Quicktime player, they play just fine. That's PC and Mac both.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure if this is the cause, but I had this exact issue when I'd transfer MPEG's from my DVD recorder to my PC. The workaround was to re-record the clips without VBR (variable bit rate). Perhaps your MPEG clips have bad VBR encoding?

Just a thought

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks