What's new

Help with video playback on multiple monitor setup (1 Viewer)

Chris Wittry

Stunt Coordinator
So, I have a multi-monitor setup with a GeForce 6600 GT PCI-E (128MB) video card and two 21" Trinitron CRTs hooked up to it. Windows XP is able to see both monitors and I can use the desktop on both monitors as well. I'm also able to play games on the primary monitor with no difficulty.

The problems show up when I try to do video playback on the secondary monitor. AVI files will play OK, but DVD's and MPEG files will not. What happens is that I hear the audio, but only see a black screen. I've tried playing DVD's through both Windows Media Player 10 and WinDVD 7, but both do the same thing. I'm assuming this is an overlay problem, but I have no idea how to fix it. I've tried installing newer drivers and fiddling around with the nVidia display program, but no luck so far. Please offer up any suggestions you may have. Thanks! :D

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I don't think you can use overlay and get it to work on more than one monitor. It just isn't possible! I think Overlay will only work on the Primary monitor, but I'm not sure.

You may try to use VMR (VMR7 or VMR9), but NVIDIA recommends you don't attempt it in multimonitor mode. Many people have had problems - stutter or tearing on one monitor or both!

With that said, if you only ever play the same video on both monitors, you should try Clone Mode and see if that works for you.

It's messy.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Span mode should work, but it'll cause the video card to treat both monitors as one large monitor which may affect other programs like your games.

Chris Wittry

Stunt Coordinator
What I would really like is to be able to work on my main monitor (sitting right in front of me) and put a DVD on my secondary monitor (a little off to my right). It sounds like that won't be possible unless that monitor is set to be my primary monitor.

Ian_Woods

Agent
I run Nvidia gforce 6800 and work on one screen and watch movies , both saved on disk and loaded from my dvd drive .

These are the settings that worked for me. Right click desktop go to "settings" click advanced and then click on your nvidia cards tab , in the pop out menu in the tree view click on nview display settings , on the right hand side in the drop down menu sellect dualview click apply........ be happy.

Unfortunetly if you want your desktop to span both monitors again you will have to repeat these steps but at the end sellect horizontal span.

Oh yes and do yourself a favour download media player classic , it works very well with nvidia , wmp is uhm buggy. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks