Movies That Need Remakes And Those That Don't

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Gary->dee, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Hollywood can't resist remakes. They're as much a part of the movie industry as sequels.

The reason I thought of this thread is because of a movie called Fist of the North Star which came out in the early 90's. It was a low budget version of a movie that should be made again with a proper budget and today's digital magic. I was working at a film distrubtion company at the time that was dealing with FotNS and I got to see the dailies and such. Needless to say I was underwhelmed. I was used to the epic scale of the anime feature and to see the movie basically contained within a single film set or two was disappointing. They basically turned it into a stage play.

I think this movie needs to be remade so a lot of the vast armies, cool fighting and gory consequences can be seen in live action with the right director at the helm.

At the time I was at that company The Fantastic Four movie was also being made and I saw very brief glimpses of that flick that never saw the light of day and was permanently shelved. However, that's currently in the works to be remade.

So what movie(s) would you want to see get remade?

What movies do you think shouldn't get remade?

2. Kachi Khatri

Kachi Khatri Second Unit

Jay
    One movie I will really like to a re-make is the the great 1963 war drama classic: The Great Escape with a bunch of current crop of stars.

Let's see, how about a cast of:

George Clooney
    Bruce Willis
    Benicio Del Toro
    Nicolas Cage
    Ed Harris
    Tom Sizemore
    Denzel Washington

[​IMG]

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

The live-action Fist of the North Star is tacky and cheesy to be sure...but fun in a totally mindless way.

As far as movies that maybe SHOULD be re-made, I'm thinking of a few literary adaptations that basically sucked. Good books turned into REALLY crappy movies really anger me - because I'm left thinking "Hey this could have been a great movie - and now nobody will ever try it again!"

Examples include the irritating adaptations of Wolfe's Bonfire of the Vanities, Andrews' Flowers in the Attic and Koontz's Hideaway.

Each of these COULD be made into damn fine movies - but I doubt we'll ever know.

4. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

One movie that I've always fantasized about being remade is Metropolis, the classic German Fritz Lang silent. I'd like to see a new version with either Alex Proyas or Terry Gilliam at the helm. One I do not want to see remade but already know it is in the works is Willy Wonka.

5. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Willy Wonka, great example of a movie that need not be touched. I really think they don't need to remake Superman or at least his origins. It's been done and perfectly at that.

Scott, I liked the look of the Fist of the North Star but in almost every other area I think they were merely scratching the surface of what could have been. I'd like to see perhaps David Fincher tackle the remake since it's essentially a fantasy version of Fight Club. Or maybe the Wachowski brothers?

6. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

7. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

8. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, strictly speaking, no movies "need" a remake, and most of the movies mentioned in the thread would fall under the category of "multiple adaptations" versus really being remakes.

I think if you're going to do it, though, the object should be to try and do something different. I don't see the point of Gus Van Sant's Psycho remake, for instance, but Johnathan Demme taking Charade and making it a more serious thriller is at least an interesting idea.

10. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Volcano High would be one hell of a film if given an American budget (and maybe a better script with not a lot of plot holes in it). For those of you who do not know what Volcano High is, it's a Korean fantasy/action/martial arts/high school film. Think of it as Harry Potter meets Big Trouble in Little China meets The Matrix. [​IMG]

11. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

You guys might get pissed at me for wanting a remake of The Wizard of Oz, but I'm a fan of the book series, and unfortunately no film version thus far has adequately portrayed the world of Oz on the screen.

So to be more accurate, I don't really want a remake of the film, but an accurate film version of the book.

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Fist of the North Star was a horiffic movie condensed to 2 hours from a 150 episode TV show. The US movie was bad, and anything dealing with it, including the new TV series airing in the fall in Japan will continue to be bad. It's just mindless violence

13. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

One movie I will really like to a re-make is the the great 1963 war drama classic: The Great Escape with a bunch of current crop of stars.

I can not think of worse example of a movie that needs to be remade.

History pieces that are made well don't age. You can watch the GE today and find it as relevant as 40 years ago.

Actors - How would you beat the original cast. The actors put forward are good in this era, but would detract from the remake.

Cinematography - Still a beautiful piece.

Music - Even your Williams and Zimmers and Goldsmiths would not be able to touch the Elmer Berstein score.

Lets try Twelve O'clock High with some decent CGI.

14. Matt<>Broon

Matt<>Broon Stunt Coordinator

15. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I think Four Devils should be remade. The original is lost, so you don't have the concerns about trying to replace a classic. We still have the screenplay, the set designs and a bunch of stills, so it should be possible to come up with a fairly close recreation. I doubt it woudl even cost much.

16. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Why not a shot-for-shot remake of London After Midnight?

Even make it a silent film and use the surviving stills, script, and reviews as the base for it. With the right makeup, actors, and cinematography...it would be interesting.

I've also fantisized of the idea of getting all those lost scenes from silent films re-shot with the help of makeup and CGI. It would be cool to have the 4-hour version of Greed fully reconstructed using newly shot scenes.

As for films...

I'd love to see The Phantom Tollbooth remade. The Chuck Jones version is good, but is not anywhere near the quality of the original Norton Juster book. It could easily (in the right hands) be a decade's Wizard of Oz.

17. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Remake The Road Warrior and this time set it in a future where the poles have melted and the continents are submerged, Max has meanwhile mutated into 'Fishman' and... oh wait.[​IMG]

18. Agee Bassett

Agee Bassett Supporting Actor

19. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Kachi Khatri wrote (post #2):

20. Scott_D

Scott_D Stunt Coordinator

This may sound ridiculous, but I think they should remake Batman.

Despite how much I like this movie, it has a couple too many story problems that hurt the overall franchise.

1. the fact that jack napier kills Bruce's parents.

2. why did they have to kill off the Joker?

I know some things need to change from the comics to create a more understandable and exciting movie, but I thought that the first point was lame, and when the joker died I immediately thought that that was a bad move.

They either need to resurrect him in a sequel or remake the original.