What's new

Movies that contain cameos by you, your house, etc... (1 Viewer)

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
A friend of mine was an extra in A Simple Plan, filmed in Delano, MN, as Chet pointed out.
I haven't personally been in a movie, but I did watch them film a scene in front of Northrup Auditorium on the U of Minnesota campus for With Honors (terrible movie, by the way). As we were leaving, we came across Joe Pesci's director's chair, and we were seriously tempted to swipe it... we didn't though... :)
I got in a traffic jam once on my way downtown because they were filming a scene from Fargo and had redirected traffic.
Mallrats was filmed in my local mall, and one scene from Drop Dead Gorgeous was filmed in the parking lot (although they claim they were at the Mall of America in the movie).
Oh, and in the movie "Untamed Heart", there are a lot of scenes filmed near downtown Minneapolis in an area (St. Anthony Main) I know well, and it really bugged me watching it because they showed Marisa Tomei walking down a street, then in the next scene, she was walking somewhere that she couldn't have gotten going the way she was going, etc. I know that shouldn't bug me, but it did!

Andy_S

Second Unit
One day on the way to the school bus stop we saw the A-Team van being unloaded from a flatbed truck. They were filming a scene where the van is chasing someone down an alley. The actors weren't there. It was just the filming crew and a couple of stunt men driving the van but it was still cool. Years later I saw the scene in a rerun.

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
There is an obscure early 80's (TV?) movie called "Kentucky Woman" which filmed in and around my hometown. You can catch it every now and then on TBS or Lifetime. It starred Peter Weller (Robocop!!), Ned Beatty (Otis from Superman!) and Cheryl Ladd (Kris Munroe from Charlie's Angels!!). Cheryl played a single mom (IIRC) who had to become a coal miner to support her kid.
Anyway, I auditioned for the part of an extra, but I guess I was just too good looking, because I didn't get it.
My parents, however, got roles at the dance hall scene, and my mom's dancing feet even open up the scene. (how did my mom recognize her feet, you ask? She still has the shoes:))
I have a cousin who had a speaking part in the film as well, telling Cheryl that she couldn't sit with the cool people. It was rather funny....

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Okay, I wasn't at any of these places when the movies were filmed, but the locations were nearby or I frequented them...

I went to school in Orlando at the University of Central Florida (calling Matt Pelham and Rob Lutter...) There was an awful, awful direct-to-video flick shot on campus called DREAM TRAP, starring (I'm not making this up) Kristy Swanson. I found out about this during my time at UCF and picked up a copy for $1, which has provided much entertainment when hanging out with fellow UCF alumni:

"Hey, look, there's the green!"
"Hey, is she going into the men's bathroom or the Veteran's affairs office?"

PARENTHOOD was shot at Universal Studios in Orlando, and one location shoot was at the AMC theater near the mall on Colonial Drive that I used to go to all the time. There was also a cool old-style Publix grocery store I found once that they shot in front of.

A scene in PROBLEM CHILD 2 was filmed at a restaurant called The Bubble Room that was renowned for its unique decor, full of colorful knick-knacks, toys and other crazy stuff. I got to eat at this place once before it was closed down. It was located right across the street from the Enzian, the arthouse theater in town.

Some crowd scenes for THE WATERBOY were filmed at the Citrus Bowl, where the UCF Knights play. This happened when I was a student there, but I didn't go out for the extras call.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Hey Art, not to mention Bunny O'Hare was filmed all over Albuquerque.
I live in So. Florida and the street I work on, Brickell Avenue, just south of downtown Miami, they filmed the Harrier Sequences in True Lies there, just diagonally from the building my office is in, which can be seen in the movie.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Well I am in one of the trailers for the Blair Witch Project, where they filmed people walking out of the cinema, supposedly after the film, looking scared. (It was filmed before the film by 2 people off the street). Unfortunately, you can only see my back :)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Where do I start?
Yeah they constantly film on or around my block. I don't think I ever make any effort to see the films in question. I'm always more tickled by stuff filmed in places I like: Tadpole had a Fairway scene. Last Sunday's Sex in the City had a big City Bakery scene. Numerous films including Single White Female & Three Days of the Condor took place in the Ansonia.
You've Got Mail was the official love letter to my neighborhood, the Upper West Side. Numerous films, for reasons I never understand, seem to think that Grey's Papaya is some sort of romantic spot -- probably because the sushi & caviar eating directors never tasted one of their hot dogs.
I got interviewed by Michael Moore (on election day '96(?), asking me if I'd like to date Hillary Clinton) for one of his TV shows, but I haven't a clue if I ever made it on the air (I hope not).
I had one funny experience a saw a scene being filmed in and around the Beacon Theater (it is on my street) and later saw the movie certainly without knowing I had seen it being filmed, and a major plot point involving a "dead" person coming to life was blown for me, when I realized what I was watching... (don't remember the title or much else, sorry).
Ted

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
The movie "Baby Boom" was filmed in my home town in VT. My Dad, Mom, and sister all are in the movie as well as several shots of our house.

Laters,

Steven_Ma

Agent
I used to live in flordia and they filmed Edward Sissorhands( odd that i've never seen the movie)right down the road from where I lived. The filmed part of Band of Brothers about a hour from where I live now.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Another obscure one. :)
I learned to water ski 'On Golden Pond'. One of my friends in New Hampshire has a house on that lake.

Derrick_Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Parts of U.S. Marshals were filmed in Chicago. (Although it was suppose to look like New York) You can clearly see the building I work in. (231 S. LaSalle) Parts of Home Alone 2 were also filmed on the street where I work. (The outside of the toy store.) And the parade scene in Ferris Bueller goes right past (And gives a pretty good shot of) the building I worked in for Arther Andersen a while back.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Well....

I don't appear in these.... But I did get a "THANKS" screen credit...

HAMLET (Ethan Hawk version)
SESSION 7

Dugger

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
An ex-girlfriend of mine went to the school featured in Grosse Pointe Blank, and another ex-gf lived one street over from Cole's house in The Sixth Sense

Erich_S

Grip
During the opening scene of Air Force One, you can identify several parts on and around the Case Western Reserve University campus as the paratroopers are landing on the roof of Cleveland's Severance Hall (home of the Cleveland Symphony). It's kind of in the middle of campus, so I walked past it just about every day for four years.

I was on campus while it was being filmed; they were actually there during finals week, so there were a lot of us up in the middle of the night while they were shooting. The library next to Severance Hall was open 24 hours during finals, so my (now) wife was able to watch some of the scenes being filmed close up. I saw the fireballs from when they blow the roof from down the block - not so impressive in person.

Thanks for the great thread,
Erich

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Well...

The facility that I worked at, Twin Towers in Los Angeles (custody facility) has been in numerous movies and tv shows...

-The rock - second floor disapline tower 2 (sean connery's jail cell)

-Desperate Measures - michael keatons jail cell, the whole facility from the outside.

- spawn - the outside of the main headquarters of martin sheen before the camera zoom's throught the little window. One of my partners is also in the movie, she is the blond in the black dress that walks right infront of the camera at the ball just before spawn shows up...and then you see her face dead on when she is lying on the floor dead after the brawl between spawn and the assassin chick!

- sliders - can't remeber which episode....they mainly shot the main control center

- bounce - the court room scene was filmed in the court house that I used to work at "County Court House 111 north hill street dept/div 1 2nd floor.

That is all that I can think of right now.......

R~

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
My only claim to fame is Urban Cowboy. A very guilty pleasure of mine. Some of it was shot around my area. Also, the photographer at Bud and Sissy's wedding in the movie was the photographer at my wedding as well. My wife's family had many of there family portraits done by him while she was growing up.

PhilipW

Second Unit
My brother is a starving actor in LA.

American Pie - Band geek by the lockers and trying to get into the party. Funny thing about this was my wife and I were watching the movie and didn't know he was going to be in it and then there he was big as day trying to play a stupid horn with gawd awful plaid shorts and his socks pulled up around his knees. We both started laughing and pointing. Not sure if anyone else next understood.:b

Scream 2 - Walks through the back of a scene at the end of the movie on the college campus.

American Sweetheart. He was in the movie in the movie at the end. German Officer on the doorstep.

Father's Day - Our last name is Williams and Robin Williams went around all day telling everyone that they were related. Made my brothers day.

He has also been in several TV shows. Too numerous to mention.

He just finished a movie that he was the double for the main actor. Not sure that he'll get any screen time.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
My friends brother was in Virgin Suicide and played an extra for one afternoon. The part was so small it was uncredited but he said he was treated so well and received so many things, just for doing that bit part.

Ben Tallen

Agent
My aunt is apparently the bartender in one of the scenes at First Avenue in Purple Rain. I've never actually seen the movie so I can't confirm this. :b

Also, I know lots of people who have been extras or had small roles in The Mighty Ducks movies, Joe Somebody, Jingle All the Way, and a host of other forgettable films made in Minnesota.

Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks