Movies that contain cameos by you, your house, etc...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven K, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Basically this is a thread to discuss appearances that you, or your friends, property, etc... might have had in a movie. So, if you fall under this category, feel free to mention it.

I'll start off with the movie "Southie."

Anyone seen this?

I finally got around to watching this movie, starring Donnie Wahlberg and Rose McGowan. I read the reviews on IMDB in which several people who "once lived in South Boston" trashed the movie by stating that the scenery and props were an obvious fake, that it was all filmed on a soundstage somewhere, etc...

Well, I don't know what South Boston they use to live in, because a good portion of this movie was filmed right in South Boston... I was excited to see my apartment in the movie! Also present: Mul's Diner (one of my favorite places to eat), Broadway Station (subway stop I use), West Broadway Street... Donnie's character even gets on the #9 bus, which is what I used to take home from work every day...

If you've ever seen it but wondered if this is how people really act and live in South Boston, the answer is "no." However, the scenery and backgrounds, etc... is all 100% authentic.

Overall the movie wasn't that great, but it was cool to see my neighborhood, places I eat, hang out, etc... even my actual apartment, in the movie.

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

They shot some stuff for "Life as a House" down the street from my house at the lake (I live in Budd Lake). Not sure if they ended up in the final movie.

3. Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri Second Unit

Snow Day with Chevy Chase was filmed, in part, in Edmonton Alberta (about 5 minutes from downtown). Filmed in a nice, older residential neighborhood that turned into a rush-hour nightmare (everyone has to slow down to look at all of the pretty truck trailers).

Dumb movie, great city!

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Portions of the Jack Nicholson bomb Ironweed was filmed right up the street from where I live. I remember they redesigned half of the house they were filming at. Also (if I've got my story straight), Nicholson demanded that he stay at a house with an indoor pool which was a bitch for the production since very few people in the area had indoor pools at the time (and, I'd imagine not a hell of a lot of people do now.)

5. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Dam funny world...
    About a year ago I'm watching THE RED VIOLIN, and son-of-gun, isn't Samuel L Jackson wearing my sweater! Well, the man has taste!
    A few months ago, we're watching TRUDEAU on CBC, and aren't Pierre and Maggie frolicing on the same love seat that we just bought for our new house last fall. This time at least the pattern on the fabric was different.
    Then a few weeks ago, the day after being at a crummy faux antique furniture auction, we see an ornamental pedestal on a NERO WOLFE program, that was identical to one at the auction the day before! (Thank God my wife didn't buy it, just the vase sitting on top of it.)
    So, I'm getting a twilight zone kinda feeling. What is real? Is my life a hollow facade, of props and cues. Is someone controlling my vertical? Are we all merely players on a stage, as Shakespear said?
    Well, maybe I can make a small test. The other day, driving to a beautiful beach, we found the road half closed, cars restricted to one direction at a time, because half the road was lined with large trucks, cables running everywhere, and up from the road, as far as we could make out, turns out a movie shot is being taken in the cemetary up the hillside. Seems a Rob Lowe movie (title Snow Shoes?) is being shot here, or perhaps parts of it.
    But here's the neat part! Driving home hours later, theyr'e still there, looks like dozens or scores of actors, technicians, whatever, so I HONKED the horn!!!
    Now, if I ever see the movie, and hear a horn in the background of some cemetary scene, I'll know there was something cosmically significant going on in my life. Or not. [​IMG]

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

My dad was in Fear No Evil. The movies terrible. Its basically a The Omen knockoff about the son of Satan and all that.
    I wonder if it will ever be released on DVD. I'd have to buy two copies, and give one to my dad, so he will never forget his four seconds of fame as an extra in a B-movie.[​IMG]

7. rhett

rhett Supporting Actor

I know Natsha Henstridge (Species) on a personal level and her parents are friends with mine, but I don't think that really applies here. [​IMG]
    Jason I agree, Edmonton is a nice city, and I do admit to being one of the those drivers who slowed to get a look at the trailers. :b

8. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

PS I posted PROPS on another forum a month and a half-ago, not a single response to it. Lovely sense of synchronicity and OUTER LIMITS at work here...

9. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

Citizen Ruth was filmed here in Omaha, and contained a lot in my neighborhood. My comic book store that is 10 seconds away was in the movie.

"About Schmidt" had some filming right across the street from my work. I remember watching the trucks pull in... Very cool

10. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

The movie 'In Dreams' was filmed in the area I grew up. The scene in the diner was shot at the Whatley Diner which is a truck-stop with a 24hr (very good!) diner that we used to go to in high school, and that I still go to with my friend when I visit home.

The indy film 'All or Nothing' features I picture cut out from my high school yearbook (it's of the lead actress, who I graduated with) -- it was very odd to see it in the movie (just in the background) and I noticed it immediatley.

11. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Evolution used my alma mater, Cal State Fullerton, as the location for its community college setting. Imagine my amusement when I saw all of these "scientists" going in and out of the Performing Arts building.

12. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

I was on my way to catch a train in Union Station in DC when I noticed that it seemed to be very foggy inside the station. I had wandered onto the set of Hannibal and they were filming the scene with the carousel.

While it's hardly LA or NY, a lot of films are shot, at least in part, in DC.

13. Ushabye

Ushabye Projectionist

Paul
    That's me in EXCALIBUR coming running down the hill shouting "The sword is drawn! The sword is drawn!". Plus I'm standing at the stone with my Dad as all the different knights try to to pull Excalibur out. I was only nine at the time. The three best days off school ever.

14. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I was an extra in A Reason To Believe and can be seen from a distance in one shot. I never saw it theatrically as I don't think it played in many theaters, so it's possible I'm more visible in a shot or two that was cropped for TV. Curses P&S! [​IMG]

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

My dad was in some movies during his childhood: The Tiger Makes Out and Carnal Knowledge. I don't know where in the films, mainly because I haven't seen them.

16. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

The movie AMITYVILLE, the original.
    I live literally right by the bridge they go over, the church they filmed in was 5 minutes from my house, and the parkway overpass and rt 37 road they are on are also minutes away [​IMG]
    That church they filmed in, is still there 30 years later.

17. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I was part of the arena crowd in Ready to Rumble. [​IMG]
    ~T

18. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    My cousin was in Wolf with Jack Nicholson. He played one of the guys who tried to mug Jack in Central Park. He was even listed in the credits, he was Gang Member #1. I think he even had a line. He has a "behind the scenes" picture with him and Jack. Pretty cool.

19. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

Well, I was almost in The Scarlet Letter. I was helping one of the camera crews out, and was running across this riverbank with some camera equipment when all of a sudden they started filming. I ducked behind a log, but I was wearing a bright purple sweater and though I might have been poking up in the shot. Alas, they cut the scene down so much, hardly anyone was in it, and certainly not my purple sweater. Hey, that movie could've used some jazzing up.

20. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

i large part of '8 Seconds' was filmed in my home town of Seguin TX