What's new

Movies that contain cameos by you, your house, etc... (1 Viewer)

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Just about every movie set in DC that has a shot of the Capitol building, as seen from the White House, shows my old office building at 12th and Pennsylvania.

Also, across the street is Judiciary Square metro station, the entrance to which featured in both Point of No Return (it was the office of the agency Bridget Fonda worked at) and Minority Report (the pre-crime agency's office). I remember when Minority Report was shot there two summers ago.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Wow! Cool thread.

Here's my list:
The Good Son was partially filmed on the northshore of Lake Superior(MN side). They had big boats driving along the shore to make BIG waves so that people would think it was the east coast. My cousin was a grunt worker for the crew and helped make a house(just the outside). This was the house Culkin lived in in the movie. I believe the graveyard scenes were also filmed there but I am not sure.

And then all of the scenes of the cliff were filmed on Palisade Head.

The town I currently live in Delano, MN was the location for all of the Town Shots in a Simple Plan. Plus I think they built a mock Bar for the movie in the town. It was just a shell. Funny side note: They brought the movie to Minnesota because of our wondeful snow but when they needed some snow shots there was none to be found. So all of the town scenes have fake snow in them and the scenes where they find the plane were filmed in Wisconsin.

That's about it.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
a couple summers ago, they filmed the live-action portions of osmosis jones in my hometown, plymouth mass. i havent seen the movie, but they had locations all over plymouth center. the house that bill murray's character lived in was on oak street, right across from oak street kindergarten, i went there. :) and i think they used a school in the movie, that was nathaniel morton elementary school. i went there too :) the zoo they created is actually at the end of willard place, its a dead end street with a rotary. its on the other side of jenney pond, where i learned to ride my bike without training wheels. (i swear i'm older than 9). anyway, they had oak street blocked off for a couple days for shooting in the house, so my friend and i climbed the hill behind the kindergarten, brought my 8mm camcorder, and after they stopped shooting for the day, we got a little footage of bill murray walking around, and chris elliott signing autographs. and....my parents were walking my dog around town one night, they walk by this local pizza place, and bill murray and a couple other guys walk right out, my mom (crazy scottish lady) flips out, goes over and hugs him, they talk for a minute about the movie, the town and stuff, then they go. i talked to my parents a couple minutes after, then me and my copy of rushmore criterion were out the door to find him, i wanted him to sign it, but i couldnt find him. i havent seen osmosis jones, but it was cool to have a little home video footage of him. wow this post was a little long...anyway, thats the only movie shot in this town so far.
CJ

ShawnF

Stunt Coordinator
The shower scene in the beginning of Risky Business was filmed in a childhood friend's bathroom (Highland Park, IL).

ollie_k, I work w/ your friend Dave Z.

KevinHunt

Stunt Coordinator
Some scenes from Dazed and Confused were shot in Georgetown, TX(where I grew up)at the old Junior High and High School campuses. And Unneccesary Roughness was shot at University of North Texas in Denton when I was a student there. Never saw Bakula but did see Bateman, Sinbad and the horrible Armadillo mascot they were using. My then girlfriend got in on the stadium scenes during the football shooting but never checked to see if I could see her. One good movie, one bad movie. It evens out :)

Michael Napier

Stunt Coordinator
Several parts of Biloxi Blues were filmed here in my hometown (specifically at an old Army base).
I got to be an extra for 3 days, but unfortunately you can't see me at all. I did film one scene where I walked by less than 10 feet from the camera, but it got cut out.
I wish they would release this on DVD, and maybe even include my deleted scene :)
My buddy is very visible in the movie theater scene, though.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Dawn of the Dead took place in the Monroeville Mall, not far from Pittsburgh -- a place I visited many times via bus. (The last time I was there, I didn't have any luck in finding the infamous blood pressure machine.)

Another Romero film (Monkey Shines?) was shot partly on the Carnegie Mellon University campus. (A film crew was set up right outside of the Wean Hall loading dock.)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The cabins from Friday the 13th were in the camp directly behind my house (growing up).

Fled was filmed in & around Atlanta. I used to go to that Zesto's diner (where they find the disc in the motorcycle) all the time.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, the scene in "Erin Brokovich" where she gets in the car accident, that's the corner of Magnolia and Lankershim, about two blocks from where I live. You can't see it in the frame, but on the right-hand side of the shot where the collision occurs, there's a Starbucks there. If the frame was just a hair wider you could see it.
Also, I was an extra in Pearl Harbor, in the funeral scene in the airplane hanger. My brother's girlfriend swears she saw me in it, walking off with my arm around a girl (which would be me), but I have looked and looked and you can't see me, so I don't know what she saw.
It was filmed at the Van Nuys airport here in the L.A. area. It was my first extra work. We had to get up at the ass crack of dawn and work a 16 hour day for minimum wage in what I'm guessing was at least 105 degree heat. About 200 extras were there. You get in line to check in, get in line to get your costume, try to find a place in the little room off the cafeteria to hang your clothes up and change.
I loved my costume. I was a naval officer, and I gotta say I looked hot in that uniform. But I'm really pasty white, and when the the Assistant Director passed me in the cafeteria he stopped and said, "We need to do a tan job on you. Go into makeup."
I waited in line like 45 minutes to get my makeup done -- just an instant tan type of thing they put on my face and hands.
The coffins in the airplane hanger were large cardboard boxes on sawhorses, draped with American flags. On top of each was a photograph of someone. The priests and ministers and rabbis you see in the film were real. There was a priest at my coffin. I had a headache, and I joked to him, "Do you have the ability to heal? Because--"
"Yes," he said very sincerely, "through the power of Christ."
"Well, I got this horrible headache..." I laughed. He didn't. He just gave me a funny look like I was a little smartass. God, I'm a jerk.
We waited till about 11:30 a.m. till they called us. If you ever do extra work, TAKE A BOOK. Believe me. We were a little disappointed, because it had really looked like we'd make it till lunch before we shot.
They spent about half an hour positioning us at the coffins, one by one. They had a live bugler there playing Taps. After the first take or two, Michael Bay got a little peeved. "Let's get some EMOTION in this, people! Remember, three days ago the whole world changed!"
I'm a trained actor, so I was actually able to cry. I was just hoping I'd get on camera, but no dice, damn it. After about 20 takes I couldn't cry anymore.
I'd say we did at least 25 to 30 takes of the scene, maybe more. We all had to stay in place while they shot Cuba Gooding's and Ben Affleck's closeups. The scene where Cuba walks around the grave and salutes it was only about 20 feet away from me, but you still can't see me -- wrong angle.
Early in the shooting they had us move all the "coffins" outside of the hanger. Then they did about three shots of that. That's why it looks like the coffins go outside the hanger in the movie -- it's a double exposure.
They started dismissing us after a long time, one by one. "If you were born between this date and this date, you can go." Then they'd do a couple takes and dismiss more people. It seemed they were planning to do a series of dissolves showing the crowd at the funeral dwindling, but they never used it in the film.
And, boy, was it ever a long time. I think we stood there -- not sat, stood -- in that 100 degree plus heat for 3 hours or more without a break. A lot of the extras were complaining that the production company was violating SAG rules by not giving us enough breaks. In fact, I think the first break we got was when, after completing a shot, all the extras spontaneously filed out en masse into the cafeteria. I thought, "They must have called break and I didn't hear it." So I went on out, too, and then an assistant followed us into the cafeteria, quite angry, and shouted, "You guys, nobody told you you could go on break! Ten minutes and that's it!"
Everyone was cranky. It was blistering hot, you had to wait in long lines for eveyrthing -- makeup, costumes, lunch. The bathrooms were portapotties that were way outside in back of the hanger.
My best chance to be seen was the little interchange at the end of the scene that Ben Affleck has with that guy that used to be on Married With Children -- forgot his name. We were hanging around, hoping they'd pick us to walk out in the background behind him. As they were rolling, Michael Bay came up to me and this girl and told us to walk out of the hanger arm in arm. He gave us a little push from beside the camera to walk out as they were rolling.
Suddenly me and this girl hear, "CUT! YOU TWO, YOU WEREN'T IN THE REHEARSAL, YOU CAN'T BE IN THE SCENE!" We jumped and turned. It was the cameraman. He was pointing at us. We said nothing, just traded a look and walked off to the side. Michael Bay told him it had been his idea, and the cameraman said, "Just don't surprise me with anything anymore, Michael! Okay?!"
The sun was setting and they were trying to get the last shots they needed in about half an hour. The A.D. moved us over to the other side of the hanger and had us enter from there. The next take, they cut the shot before we were even in range of the camera, I think. So with each successive take we'd walk faster and faster, trying to make sure we got in the frame.
During this time Josh Hartnett got yelled at for something. I don't know what he was doing, but just as they were about to roll, someone screamed, "Josh, don't do it! DON'T DO IT!" I don't know if he was making faces at someone on camera or what, but I passed him later sitting sulking in his little chair.
It took us about 45 minutes to get out of costume and get checked out. Boy, was I glad it was over. But it was exciting to be standing within, oh, 20 feet of both Ben Affleck and Cuba Gooding. (Affleck is very tall, about 6'3" or 6'4".) And Michael Bay actually put his arms around us before he shoved us out into the scene.
The only other extra work I've done was in the straight-to-video movie which ended up being called "Beneath Loch Ness." (The shooting title was simply "Loch Ness.") It's on DVD, so of course I had to buy it. I'm one of the Afghanistani soldiers. You can see me very clearly in two shots. I'm the one with the cloth over my nose and mouth, in profile on the left of the screen right after the jeep drives up to the desert dig.
The reason my face is covered is because I do not look even remotely middle eastern. My ancestors are German-Russian and British. The casting director, who saw my head shot, said the day before, "Try to get a couple hours of sun today so you'll look tanned." I told him a couple hours of sun or even a couple weeks of sun was not going to make me look middle eastern, but he didn't seem to care.
After arriving the next day at a land development across I-5 from Magic Mountain and getting into costume, the director passed me and said, "Oh, great." I knew exactly what he meant and I threw up my hands. "I told the casting director I will never pass for middle eastern." So he took me back in the costume trailer and the costumer put a turban over my light brown hair and wrapped my face in cloth. All you could see were my eyes.
I found out something surprising on that shoot, though (where it was even hotter than on Pearl Harbor, at least 110 degrees): Those turbans really keep your head cool. There's a reason they wear them.
Brian Wimmer was in the scene, and I volunteered to be the one who was supposed to step in front of him with my rifle, and he just looks at me like, "Yeah, right," and waves me away. While rehearsing it Wimmer seemed uncomfortable with it -- he wouldn't even look at me -- and he told the director he didn't "get it," so it was cut. Bastard. :D
Great catered food on both those shoots, though. Only bad thing about that is the extras have to let the speaking actors get their plates dished up first before we can eat.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
And Unneccesary Roughness was shot at University of North Texas in Denton when I was a student there.
My dad went to school there. I remember going to see the movie with him when it came out because he was curious about how the school would look on film. We both agreed afterward that it was a pretty dumb movie :)
Speaking of my dad, he's a journalist and used to be friends with Joe Galloway, who wrote the book "We Were Soldiers Once...and Young" which the Mel Gibson movie was based on. I don't think dad's seen the movie yet but I do know that he followed the development somewhat because at one point the producers apparently wanted Brad Pitt to play Galloway in the film and my dad thought that was funny because "Joe...isn't quite that handsome" :)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Most, if not all, of the Reese Witherspoon/Matthew Broderick movie "Election" is filmed in Omaha, and I have played in the park where the lesbian sisiter and her friend swing, and the shots of school she transfers too is one I drive by almost daily.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Considering that I live in the Pasadena area of California, there have been and are countless movies filmed around where I live. Beethoven was filmed in Old Town Monrovia, The Beverly Hills Cop movies were filmed at Cal Tech and parts of Pasadena, and the Dead Again/"Batman" TV series house are in Pasadena as well, as is the Father of the Bride house.

There also seems to be filming going on at my school, Occidental College, every week. The campus is featured in numerous movies and shows, with Clueless, Real Genius, and Orange County being among them.

Guy_Uhler

Grip
A segment of ,The Cable Guy, was filmed at Medievil Times...which is right down the street from my house. I remember trying to drive home one night, but I had to go the long way. I was pissed, but I liked the movie so it was all good.:)

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
Many years ago, I remember there being a commotion after school that there was a film crew a few blocks down. We all ran over to see Fort Apache:The Bronx being filmed.

BTW, great thread.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
The, ahem, "cinematic masterpiece" Road Trip was filmed at my alma mater The University of Georgia. I also had a class in one of the classrooms they used to film some of the scenes. It's funny looking at your old class seat on the big screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks