Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Family Stone (2005)

There's something about the Stones. They are evolved, open-minded, tolerant, and just a little better than the rest of us. The truth is, they're a bunch of jerks. They just believe they have earned that right. Well, except for Ben (Luke Wilson) that is. When their glory-boy son Everett (Dermot Mulroney) brings home his relentlessly insecure girlfriend Meredith (Sarah Jessica Parker) for Christmas, the Stones light into her like a pack of wolverines. Fortunately, while the Stones are not nice people, they have potential.

The Family Stone has been and remains my favorite Christmas movie, and I suspect I'm probably alone in having that opinion. The fact is, this movie is surprisingly well done. There are so many wonderful little moments and lines, such as the lovingly sarcastic "She's nice like this" and how Kelly (Craig T Nelson) makes a point of apologizing for his family's bad behavior, officially calling for it to end. Plus, it is a real accomplishment to make the line "You smell a little like puke" come off with such charm.

There are far more popular choices, but I suspect The Family Stone has permanently earned its place as my favorite Christmas movie.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
How I Live Now (2013)

Several years ago I started a tradition of watching end-of-the-world movies for New Year. I'm getting an early start this year.

Daisy (Saoirse Ronan), a neglected and self-destructive teen is sent to rural England to spend the summer with her cousins, Piper (Harley Bird), Isaac (Tom Holland), and Eddie (George MacKay). As she arrives at the airport, it's clear the world is on the verge of self-destruction, but life seems rather idyllic once they arrive at the rural farm.

That is, until the outside world intrudes in this chillingly effective scene.

Adapted from a popular young adult novel, How I Live Now is not your standard YA fare. It is surprisingly unflinching, and often downright brutal in its intimate depiction of a world going insane. The rapid-fire string of increasingly horrible events is not what might be expected. However, it is compelling and wonderfully efficient storytelling, as Daisy gradually turns her self-loathing to cold, steely determination, and ultimately to compassion and perspective. This is Ronan's movie, and she is excellent in it. For me, it is an extremely powerful and effective movie.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Perfect Sense.

I haven't seen this in a few years. Holy smokes, what an awesome movie. Unusual and not for everyone, but I love it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’ve never heard of the two movies in your last two posts. 😲

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I recall viewing Perfect Sense around a decade ago and I had problems getting into the film. The casting is what initially attracted me to the film.

Perhaps it is time for a revisit?

- Walter.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I recall viewing Perfect Sense around a decade ago and I had problems getting into the film. The casting is what initially attracted me to the film.

Perhaps it is time for a revisit?

- Walter.
The important detail about Perfect Sense, to me, it is clearly metaphorical. Take it literally, and it just doesn't work.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll be brief, but I took the day off today and watched the new 4K Vinegar Syndrome release of eXistenZ. I've seen it several times, but probably not in 10 years. I'm not sure it holds up as well as I expected.

I did realize something I either forgot about, or never noticed before...

At the gas station, Allegra is clearly aware that she is in the game, but Ted doesn't seem to be, and the audience certainly isn't supposed to be.

Now I'm going to watch the recent Kino 4K release of @Sam Posten 's favorite movie, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind :P. I've seen it even more times than eXistenZ, and also not in quite a few years. I loved this one from the first time I saw it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I may need to bite the bullet before too long and pay the inevitable premium for that 4K of eXistenZ. Wonder if I should rewatch it once first though...

I don't know, but I'm probably not gonna bother buying the Kino 4K of Eternal Sunshine. Not sure it's enough of an upgrade for me...

_Man_

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I haven't viewed either eXistenZ or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind in a long, long time. I'm not sure if I've seen eXistenZ since around the DVD release way back when. Not that it is really a comparison, but of the two I prefer Eternal Sunshine (which I did purchase on Blu-Ray around the time of its initial release.)

Generally speaking, I tend to like Cronenberg's films, but coming out around the same time as The Matrix negated some of the impact of the film for me. "Is it real, or not?" types of films were very popular around the late '90s. Other films of this ilk include Dark City from '98, The Thirteenth Floor from '99, and Donnie Darko from '01. Perhaps with the passage of time, I might appreciate eXistenZ more now. Probably should revisit both films.

- Walter.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've been indulging my fondness for adaptations of young adult novels, and digging up some I've never seen. In general, I've just been watching a lot, and a lot of stuff that's new to me.

I don't know how on earth I missed this one for the last 11+ years.

The trailer belies how dark, and surprisingly heavy this one is. Really outstanding. Not remotely what it appears to be, or what anyone would ever expect.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I've been indulging my fondness for adaptations of young adult novels, and digging up some I've never seen. In general, I've just been watching a lot, and a lot of stuff that's new to me.

I don't know how on earth I missed this one for the last 11+ years.

The trailer belies how dark, and surprisingly heavy this one is. Really outstanding. Not remotely what it appears to be, or what anyone would ever expect.

Very good film. I haven't read the source novel, but it might prove difficult since it is one of the most banned books by the unwoke.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Very good film. I haven't read the source novel, but it might prove difficult since it is one of the most banned books by the unwoke.
Honestly, I'm a little numb. That was so incredibly unexpected. I did not anticipate it being that dark.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I received the UHD disc of this today.

What a silly, raunchy, 'R' rated blast of a splatterfest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks