What's new

Need mucho advice for my home entertainment room! (1 Viewer)

Iamnotananimal

Auditioning
Real Name
dan
Hello all. First off let me say that I hope I don't ramble too much with this post. I have quite a few questions and I am very intent on hearing the answers and suggestions. That said, let me begin this post. My winter project is to finish off the basement into a bar/pool table/small home theater area. I had picked up a free design software from CNET, I believe, and laid it all out as best as I could with the area I have. Started some of the framing this past week and decided that, before I go on, I should get some advice now, in case anything would need to be changed.
745036b0_finallyitonceagainaccuratewallsnobackbar.png
I tried to insert an image of the room here to make it easier to understand the layout. Basically a rectangular room with a pool table at one end and a screen at the other. A sectional couch, facing the screen, will divde the room. On the side with the couch I am also building a bar. The overall length is about 37' and the width is about 16'. The couch to the screen wall is about 16-18'. I also would do a cieling mount on the projector unit. Hopefully that gives a good representation of what I'll have. Budget is limited to some degree (not a rich man by any means) and really have no problem getting better quality components by buying them used. That would then set up my first question. When it comes to good components, what would some good brands/models be? After trying to do some research online, I realize that I will need a receiver, speakers, sub, projector (I am planning on a projector for movies and sports with a drop down screen, behind the screen will be a flat screen for my kids to watch TV and play video games). I have found what seems like a decent projector that seems to be around $600 used - (Optoma HD20 Full HD 1080P DLP) but again, I could use more input on wether or not it is worth it or not or if there are better deals to be had. As for the receiver, I have no idea what a good brand is anymore. I know that in my living room right now I have a Kenwood that is roughly 15 or more years old with surround sound that works fine for what I need now, but I was hoping that the basement experience would be somewhat better. I am figuring around $2000 grand for a top budget of all the electronics and speakers. Less would be better and make my wife (and therefore me) much happier. I already have a motorized screen that I picked up at a fairly good price so that wouldn't enter into the cost. So, in a nutshell, I guess I need recommendations for: __Receiver __Projector __Front and rear speakers __Center speaker __Subwoofer __And any other recommendations anyone might have. One last thing. I've seen some of these kits for building your own speakers using Polk parts, etc. Worth my time on those? And would I be better off to build the speakers into a wall space (since I'm framing everthing off) or just get floor speakers? Appreciate any and all advice.

Iamnotananimal

Auditioning
Real Name
dan
From what I've read about 3D, it is not a must. If it was doable for the right price...maybe. But NOT a must. By the way Luke. Semper Fi. 81-85, stationed out of Cherry Point with MACS-6.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It would help to know where you are. CL can be a goldmine. Ebay as well(you can look by distance). $1400 for AVR/speakers/sub is plenty doable. Depending on what sources you are hooking up... Computer(laptop/PC)? Wii/PS3/Xbox? VCR/LD/CED? (Yes all those can still be relevant if you are a movie buff) Ipod/LP/cassette?

Iamnotananimal

Auditioning
Real Name
dan
Sam, I live in NE Ohio area. And yes, I use Craigslist for stuff. It is awesome if you know what you're looking for and what the right price is. Set up a rack of dumbells from 5 to 85lbs. for about .40 cents a pound. Awesome. But I'm getting off subject. I will have an Xbox down there but I was going to put that on the flat screen since I heard playing games on a projector kills off the bulb too quickly. The computer, I feel with todays technology, is a must. We've got a couple laptops, or I can run a dedicated line down from our desktop. VCR, LP, Cassette deck. I do still have all of those items but hadn't planned on using them. Since everything is digital anymore I didn't think they'd still be relevent. (I don't believe my kids have ever even seen my LP's or turntable). I do think an IPOD would be a good thing to use but I thought I could do that in the way that we do it already, plugged from audio out on the IPOD to the aux in on the receiver. Here is an ad from Craigslist that I saved from yesterday. Price is great but are the speakers worth my time? "For sale as is a quality surround sound system including: Left, right, and center channel Paradigm cinema 110 speakers. A Yamaha reciever. A 10 inch Velodyne subwoofer. This is not a $300 best buy sustem. This equipment all came from the Stereoshop in Greensburg and would cost $1000.00. The speakers in my opinion are very clear and very loud. Both music and movies are highly enjoyable." The pics are small and I can't get a model number off the receiver.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm not a fan of "tiny speakers" regardless of brand...but You could always use those in the 4-7 position and get larger mains. Depends on what Yamaha it is.

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
For a projector? Says its an authorized dealer too http://www.ebay.com/itm/Optoma-HD20-Home-Theater-Projector-/321057580628?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item4ac085e654 And is this going to be a 5 or 7 channel, by the looks of the room layout I would say 5 channel

Iamnotananimal

Auditioning
Real Name
dan
At this point I'm not sure of a 5 or 7 channel. The basement ceilings are tall and behind and above the couch is an I-beam that will be boxed and can be used to place some speakers. Again, at this point I am deferring to the advice of this board to set me in a good direction. Should I assume that the Optoma is a good projector then?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks