What's new

Moulin Rouge drink? (1 Viewer)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
What is that drink they have in the movie. IT's was near the start of film and I believe it is green. Is it real? Is it illegal? I don't want to start a drug taking thread here I just want more info on this beverage cause I'm curious.

Thanks

CharlesD

Screenwriter
That would be absinthe, a strong liqueur made with wormwood extract. It was banned in many places over a 100 years ago, but, according to the FAQ, not for good reasons.
Link Removed

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Charles, just to add to this. It wasn't actually made illegal in most countries, but a lot of places simply stopped selling it because of various scare stories.

I was given a bottle of absinthe some years ago by some (supposed) friends and I can safely say that it was vilest stuff I've ever tasted.

Dan D.

Stunt Coordinator
Absinthe is around and can be had if you really want to try to locate it, in spite of its currently illegal status in the U.S. (long live the Internet). It is currently legal in Spain and a few eastern European countries, and variants with a lower thujone content are legal in England, and I think I just read Canada, but I am not sure. The really good stuff comes from western Switzerland and is basically that region's version of moonshine. This is the closest thing available to the turn-of-the-century version

I've tried the Spanish variety. DO you like licorice? You'd better. I personally am not a fan, so I have never really bothered to learn to distinguish between the various anise liquors, so Sambuca, Anisette, Pernod (originally an absinthe), Ouzo, etc. all taste the same to me. This fits right in.

There is an excellent book called "Absinthe: History in a Bottle" by Barnaby Conrad that is worth picking up for anyone who wants to learn more about the drink. It's a fascinating history.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Well, lucky I asked cause I was going to ask for some at my local LB. Why don't I just ask them for a bag of coke while am at it :b But I do live in Canada, did I read right that it can be legal in Canada? If it has a lower level? Is it worth it then? I'm not a burn out or something, but the fairy sequence was just too cool for me not to try myself. I'm going to look around and let you know what happens, but sounds like it's hard to find.

Thank for the info guys

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
You should look for some toads to lick too.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

And then maybe some strange looking mushrooms! :alien:
;)

Tiffany A

Stunt Coordinator
I had this drink at a Christmas party last Saturday. It was by far the worst thing I have ever tasted. The party host had the foresight to put the drinks in very small glasses. It was quite strong and had a heavy (yuk!) licorice flavor. We all felt quite chic holding the glasses though.
After reading the FAQ on this "spirit", I can well imagine health issues if large amounts were consumed. ;)

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
Tiffany, that could have been Jaegermeister, it seems to have that nasty black licorice taste to it...

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I personally love the taste of Jaegermeister! Now, I'm guessing that you don't see green faries after you drink this drink :frowning:

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Overconsumption of absinthe has been indicated in the madness and deaths of tortured poets throughout history. I cannot think of a more 'chic' representation of the Gothic cliche.
My experiences with the wormwood-laced drink are infrequent but very noteworthy.
I recall 'overconsuming' in a nightclub in SF six years ago, not altogether dissimilar from Moulin Rouge now that I think about it hehe :). I'm sure there are several on this forum who are familiar with the process of making one's own absinthe, procuring the right materials, etc. Of course I wouldn't know how to do this because it's illegal and wrong. :D :rolleyes
The negative effects of absinthe are only felt over extended use and the short term effects are 'interesting.' Not quite drunk, more like uninhibited and relaxed without the spins or buzz associated with liquor. I recall pounding my head up against a wall however... so perhaps this says more about me than the drink itself. :rolleyes
Cheers and libations (not the green kind),
Joseph

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks