Wanted: Ideas for an Oscar Night Party

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisMatson, Mar 12, 2002.

1. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

My girlfriend and I are thinking of hosting a party for the Oscars and we are thinking of foods for the nominated movies. We have something with Lobster for In the Bedroom. We have chocolate ice cream for Monster's Ball. I was thinking about starting off or ending with tea for Gosford Park. Maybe some pastries for Amelie? Onion rings for Lord of the Rings? Cocktails and curse words for Sexy Beast. I'm not touching sweet breads for A Beautiful Mind. I would love some mysterious but tasty green drink for Moulin Rouge--think Absinthe, but safe and palatable.
    Any ideas?
    Wolfgang Puck has some recipes over at www.oscars.com, but they are not themed. [​IMG]
    -Chris

2. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

To me, Oscar parties are all about ambiance and not food. Get food that's easy to prepare and eat. But decorate the place in black and gold and make it black tie even... A red door mat is a must too. Have fun!

3. ChrisMatson

I'll definitely get a red door mat. Any other suggestions? Anyone?

4. Bill J

Bill J Producer

On Oscar night I am going to see Black Hawk Down again because it was the best film of the year and it was snubbed by the Academy.

5. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

I'm inviting my friend Joe over to watch some of the ceremony.

We're going to have chips and dip, Double Cheese Pizza Hamburger Helper and ice cream. You know, typical middle-class movie food.

Sincerely,

John "This post will allow me the opportunity to check my post count and see if I forgot to put a witty line in several other posts" Kilduff

6. brian a

brian a Second Unit

I'm having all my friends over to bitch at me for selling my processor before the 950 actually shipped thereby preventing us from watching in the theater. Should be fun. [​IMG]

7. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

Just make sure your dinner table flower arrangement is forget-me-nots in honor/protest of Memento (and it's snubbing, IMO).

8. Stacie

Stacie Stunt Coordinator

Chris,

We have an oscar party every year, and one thing we usually do is have all of our guests (or at least as many as want to participate) guess the winners in advance. That in itself isn't very exciting, but we have prizes for those who get the most winners right. The prizes are usually whatever bad-movie-themed junk we can find on the closeout shelves at Suncoast. For example, last year we had Charlie's Angels action figures, among other things. We don't reveal what the prizes are until we're actually handing them out.

Not a big thing, but kind of a variation on the oscar pool.

9. ChrisMatson

We are going to have ballots filled out before the show starts, but I hadn't thought of prizes other than bragging rights...hmmm...

Thanks for all of the suggestions, especially the more relevant ones. Please, keep them coming!

10. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

We always have ballots and a few times I've had Costume Oscar parties that have been VERY successful.

Everyone comes dressed up as a Character nominated. Just imagine the diverse costumes you could have this year with Lord Of The Rings's, Moulin Rouge, Gosford Park, ALI .., you get the picture.

We usually have a prize for the best costume at the party and the winner of the Oscar pool. (Movie gift certificates are great prizes)

Mike

11. ChrisMatson

...and I just happen to have some movie passes! They were actually a lame gift from work, so I don't mind giving those away. I don't think we are having much of a costume crowd, but it would be fun to see some Hobbits and Orcs running around. We have about a week to go--any more ideas?