What's new

Motherboard (1 Viewer)

hendricksonET

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, I've been looking for a little while now and can't find any motherboard compatible with AMD 64 ~3500+ that has both pci-e and at least 4 useable pci slots. I find some with 4, but the graphics cards end up taking up the pci slot below it.

Anyone know of any that might fit my needs?

Thanks!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That's the board I've been looking at for my next PC build, but I doubt I'll do it until next year, so there might be something better on the scene by then. But if you're building now, that's a nice board to use.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Yeah, the MSI is the only one. 4 pci slots are rare these days.

Good question, maybe we can help if we know what you are throwing in the 4 slots.

Definitly use the onboard LAN, maybe the onboard sound depending on what you are using it for...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking HD/PVR cards would be something suitable for extra PCI slots, also extra IDE controller cards.

hendricksonET

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick Sun: That is exactly what I was looking at.

The way that I have read things, you need one analog tuner to be able to use an HDTV tuner, if this is incorrect please point me in the right direction. So that I can watch one HDTV station and record another one I would need two HDTV tuners. That leaves me with 1 PCI slot left for the HDA Digital X-Mystique 7.1 Gold.

So here is the breakdown:
1 GeForce 6600 gt (Gigabyte GV-NX66T128VP) (hopefully this will fit????)
-----------------
1 pci-e slot

1 Sound Card
1 Analog TV Tuner
2 HDTV Tuners
---------------
4 pci slots

hendricksonET

Stunt Coordinator
Am I correct in saying that if a motherboard has S/PDIF-out it doesn't mean that I will get Dolby Digital or DTS if I connect it to my S/PDIF-in on my reciever? (i.e. Asus A8N-E)

Someone told me that at one point, and I keep reading that it actually is possible through the motherboard.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
yes you are correct. I have a s/pdif optical connection on my motherboard (Abit NF7-S) and I get dolby DD and DTS sound from it.

hendricksonET

Stunt Coordinator
Huh...and to think I was going to spend $100 on a sound card that did the same thing as the motherboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks