- Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88M Extreme4+
- RAM: ADATA XPG V1.0 4GB (1 x 4 GB) AX3U1600C4G9-RR
- Samsung Bluray Disk Drive

Thoughts?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The vintage of this computer looks like it is from around 2014. Not even worth a $100.

Other than buying the Samsung bd-rom drive alone, one can probably find a better brand new out-of-the-box computer for slightly more. (Samsung exited the cd/dvd/bluray rom drive business five years ago).

Back in late-2015, I purchased a trailing-edge desktop computer with a similar performance as the above for around $200 brand new.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The biggest problem with buying older computers, is finding replacement parts. Nasty business trying to track down a particular part which is not manufactured anymore.

So when my desktop / htpc fails or is over 5 years old, I just buy a new computer instead of salvaging an old one.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
HTPC's aren't very demanding hardware wise but finding suitable upgrades may be an issue. Also, personally, I avoid AMD CPU's in my machines. They've come a long way over the years but can still have compatibility issues.

Bottom line. I agree with @jcroy . Spend slightly more and find a better deal. Trust me, they're out there. Here's a link that should give you a good idea of what we mean.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If I'm going to be wasting time/cash on an old used computer, I will always change the hard drive to a new one.

I simply do not trust second handed hard drives.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Bottom line. I agree with @jcroy . Spend slightly more and find a better deal. Trust me, they're out there. Here's a link that should give you a good idea of what we mean.

Over the past decade, I also avoided refurbished computers. Especially if the cost of immediate new parts (ie. hard drives, etc ...) doesn't make any sense.

I usually looked at what bottom-of-the-line bog standard complete desktops are being offered by companies like Dell, Acer, HP, Lenovo, etc ...

David Norman

Premium
Not much to add on the actual MB/Ram, but it is an excellent Case is memory serves, nice Seasonic Power supply, and if the BDROM is in good shape -- those pieces could very easily be repurposed if you wanted to build a nice cheap student computer or email/you tube unit for your parents with 100-150 dollars new guts. Heck it might be pretty functional as is for that purpose.

The case still sells for $100 new - std microATX
I think I'm still using a couple of the S12 Power Supplies though probably not that model -- $50 new and still on the market

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Back in the day, in practice the hard drive was the first thing to fail in my desktops.

As time went on, outright hard drive failures were not as common in my desktops. The more common failure point was the power supply dying.

(The power supply seems to also be the primary source of excess heat in my desktop computers).

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
if sdr doesnt matter but if you’re interested in hdr10 output the you’ll need a beefier/more modern system esp for madvr

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The CPU is from 2013 and is AMD, so I wouldn't buy it for an HTPC.

My take is for a low/moderate cost x86-based HTPC, I want Intel from 2016 or later to get integrated GPU with QSV, which gives much faster transcoding without a discrete GPU. (Recent vintage AMD might support this? I'm not up on AMD.) AFAIK this wasn't available or working fully in Intel before about 2016 and may still not be an AMD feature at all.

If you don't care about transcoding and just want a cheap HTPC multi-purpose server box, for like $50, you can look at a Raspberry Pi setup for minimal HTPC capability. And, if you also have to buy a storage solution -- that box doesn't have any storage or software -- you can also consider a NAS that runs Plex or whatever.

As noted, that Silverstone case retails new for $100, so if you specifically wanted that case or that form factor, and really don't want to do the work of building a PC yourself, for a $100 it might be worth a flyer to see if it meets your needs.

But basically: 8 year old PC. No promise of software. No storage solution. That sounds like adding extra support difficulty onto the already fiddly, fussy HTPC hobby.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
if sdr doesnt matter but if you’re interested in hdr10 output the you’ll need a beefier/more modern system esp for madvr

This is a very good point in general for madVR.

If you're going to be doing a lot of video upscaling/interpolation of any kind, you should be concentrating on the graphics card. The folks who maintain/design madVR, have put a lot of effort into exploiting the capabilities of cutting edge graphics cards, which the hardcore videogamers (and now cryptominers) usually buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snaves