What's new

More upcomming DVD A titles :) (1 Viewer)

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
Hi all,
look at this list
Bonnie Raitt Road Test
Alan Parsons On Air
Allman Brothers Band Live At Fillmore East
Bach Bach Classics
Beethoven Classic Beethoven
Brian Wilson Your Imagination
Chick Corea Remembering Bud Powell
Cincinatti Pops Big Picture
Dave Grusin West Side Story
Diana Krall Love Scenes
DMP Big Band Glenn Miller Project
DMP Big Band Salutes Duke Ellington
DMP Big Band Potpourri
Don Henley End Of The Innocence
Eagles Hell Freezes Over
Edgar Winter Jasmine Nightdreams
Eric Clapton 461 Ocean Boulevard
Eric Clapton There's One In Every Crowd
Herb Alpert Passion Dance
Holst Planets / Opus
Holst Planets
Jeff Beck Beck, Bogert & Appice
Jeff Trott Dig Up The Astroturf
Luciano Pavarotti & Friends Modena '96 For War Child
Lyle Lovett Joshua Judges Ruth
Mavericks Trampoline
Moody Blues Days Of Future Passed
Moody Blues Seventh Sojourn
Movie Tracks Sound Effects
Mozart Classic Mozart
Ohio Players Fire
Paul McCartney Venus & Mars
Paul McCartney Band On The Run
Poco Crazy Eyes
Santana Abraxas
Schubert Classic Schubert
Seve Miller Band Fly Like An Eagle
Sheryl Crow Globe Sessions
Steely Dan Gaucho
Steven Stills Stills
Sting Ten Summoner's Tales
Sting Nothing Like The Sun
Sting Brand New Day
Studio Voodoo Studio Voodoo
Tchaikovksy Tchaikovksy Classics
The Police Every Breath You Take
Titanic Titanic Soundtrack
Various Brazilian Bossa
Various Telarc Sampler
Various Digital Sound Collection
Verdi Aida
Villa Lobos Bachianas Brazilearias
Vince Gill High Lonesome Sound
and there is more:
A pair of Madonnas (Music & Greatest Hits), 2 from Donald Fagen, 2 from Neil Young (Harvest & After the Gold Rush), Mark Knopler, REM, Paul Simon (Graceland) and Lord of the Rings soundtrack and a few others.
I found all this on Link Removed
Jesper
I posted the same over at Asylum

Michael_T

Second Unit
I also saw this post on AudioAsylum, and as I stated there, I will state here:

All these titles, with the exception of a few listed at the bottom of the post are NOT DVD-Audio titles and may never be - they are all DTS 5.1 CD's.

The facts are not all they seem to be - so please nobody get excited about this list - since it is plainly apparent to me this is called "misinformation".

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, I agree with you. I saw the post on Audio Asylum and responded there too. This information is completely inaccurate.

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
You guys just don't read do you?
Why this responding, when you not are readinging it?
Ok I try again!
I DO KNOW these titles are dts.. So what? If it's true what information I got/see, then we can be happy after 03/26/02...
I even enclose a link to the site were I got this information..
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Jesper

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jesper, whether or not you realize that these are DTS titles really isn't the issue. The issue is, why should anyone really expect that this many quality titles will come out on DVD-Audio on one day? Had this haul been announced three months ago for release on March 26th, I would have been skeptical, but I would have considered the possibility of it happening. However, we are supposed to believe that in less than one week, the stores are going to be flooded with Steely Dan, Paul Simon, Sting, Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton, The Police, etc. on DVD-Audio? Come on. It isn't going to happen. The music industry announces releases well in advance, so we should have heard about this a long time ago.

Anyway, I own a DVD-Audio player and 18 DVD-Audio discs, so I am not giving you the pro-SACD/anti-DVD-Audio rhetoric that we see all the time on Audio Asylum. I am just being realistic. Based on what I have seen from DVD-Audio thus far, I doubt we will that many new titles by the end of year, let alone next Tuesday.

Michael_T

Second Unit
To add to what Keith stated, many of these titles are owned by major labels (Sony, Universal, Warners, Captiol) - that have plans to or have already issued titles in a hi-rez format. We all know Sony is only going to release SACD, and Universal has pledged major support for SACD. And one of your titles on the list - Allman Bros - is already scheduled by Universal to come out on SACD. As for Warners - I most sincerely doubt that they would allow DTS to release the DVD-Audio of a title they own the rights to.

Many of these titles were licensed to DTS to produce surround mixes before DVD-Audio/SACD was a marketing reality. Now that it is, I suspect that these titles from DTS will only ever be DTS CD's and not DVD-Audio discs on the DTS imprint.

Jesper, I am sorry to controvert your information - but you are trying to state fact - where I can reasonably believe there is none. AS for the Neil Young titles, Paul Simon, Mark Knopfler - listed at the bottom of your post - YES - those titles have been floating around that they will be Warner Bros DVD-Audio titles released sometime in 2002. That part of your post is correct information.

Hey, if by chance you are correct, I wouldn't complain as there are many DTS CDs listed there that I would love to have on a hi-rez format like DVD-Audio or SACD.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Hey if DTS re-releases these titles on DVD-A I'll rebuy a few.

NP Paul McCartney: Press To Play

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Bonnie Raitt Road Tested

Allman Brothers Band Live At Fillmore East

Brian Wilson Your Imagination

Eagles Hell Freezes Over

Eric Clapton 461 Ocean Boulevard

Eric Clapton There's One In Every Crowd

Holst Planets

Jeff Beck Beck, Bogert & Appice

Luciano Pavarotti & Friends Modena '96 For War Child

Moody Blues Days Of Future Passed

Moody Blues Seventh Sojourn

Paul McCartney Venus & Mars

Paul McCartney Band On The Run

Poco Crazy Eyes

Santana Abraxas

Steve Miller Band Fly Like An Eagle

Steely Dan Gaucho

Steven Stills Stills

Sting Ten Summoner's Tales

The Police Every Breath You Take

I already HAVE all of the above titles--Apparently this must be new to Denmark, but they have been out in the States for YEARS on Brad Miller's HDS label. They are now being reissued on DTS' own label in DVD-Audio-type packaging, but they are still only DTS & NOT DVD-A.

BTW--They ARE great!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I noticed the classical titles listed are almost all compilations, with very vague labels. I tend to stay away from that sort thing, as it usually means you're getting second-tier performances and incomplete pieces. It's usually true for CDs; I don't know about DVD-A. However, it's something to consider.

SACD, meanwhile, releases top-rate performances of complete pieces of classical music, with sound quality varying from pretty good to un-freakin'-believable.

This thread (even if it's just rumor) is enforcing my perception that DVD-A is targeting wider audiences while SACD is carving itself out a little niche market.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Actually Mike SACD is not an entitiy that "releases" anything. Your post makes me thing SACD is some corporation that releases stuff.
I believe that there are some good DVD-A classical releases that challenge the broad generalizations in your post. :)
This thread (even if it's just rumor) is enforcing my perception that DVD-A is targeting wider audiences while SACD is carving itself out a little niche market.
Both formats target the same niche market that DTS CDs did. The only thing this thread would mean if it were true is that DTS is remastering their existing multichannel catalog to DVD-A.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Phil, I just phrased it poorly. I meant "released in SACD," not "by SACD."

As for the catalogue, I'm just going by what I see in stores and this forum. I haven't looked online much. And believe me, if I could spend the scratch, I'd get a DVD-A player. Right now, though, I'm looking to trade me SACD player in for a better one.

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
I'm sorry, :frowning:
You were right about those dts titles (most of them)...
I just want to make people happy - I still think it could be cool to have these in DVD Audio format!

John Geelan

Screenwriter
The DVD-Audio well has been pretty dry recently after the great releases of The Eagles and Fleetwood Mac last year.

We are still waiting for the Queen release and the upcoming Yes/ Close To The Edge release on the DVDA format.

JohnG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks