What's new

Monty Python’s Flying Circus Restored for Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
According to the site it's region ABC! Coming from Network I figured it'd be B only. Sweet! Now to break open the piggy bank... dig in the couch... check under the car seats...

I'll probably wait just a bit and, hopefully, pick it up from Amazon.uk. Should be just a bit cheaper to ship.

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
If indeed it's region-friendly for the US, I'll be in ASAP when the budget allows. The DVDs on my shelf are the original A&E two-per-box editions, so as pricey as this (Norwegian) blu seems now, it can't hold a candle to what I laid out in 1999-2000.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
CORRECTION: The price should be about $118 - $123 shipped to U.S. Still quite expensive
I paid $99.99 for the A&E DVD set at COSTCO so I would still have to say it is still a great deal ...
th

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I don’t think this is a bad price at all, especially compared to the 16-Ton dvd set. But I’m holding out for reviews. Don’t want to be blindsided by news of missing bits, dropped lines, music, etc.

texboil

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Robbins
I’m thrilled at the price of this set. I still remember buying the whole series on VHS back in the 1990s. That was $20 for two episodes per tape for a total of about $440. I couldn’t hit buy now on this release fast enough.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Lot of assumptions here, not the least of which assuming Barnes and Noble will still be in existence.

A North American release is just obvious, as not everyone is going to pay $122 for this set plus the import tax and shipping. Also the NA release would be shelf-friendly than it looks right now as a large cardboard box. As for Barnes & Nobel, I don't think they're going away anytime soon. Yes, they one day will go the way as so many others stores, but that won't be for sometime though.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
A North American release is just obvious, as not everyone is going to pay $122 for this set plus the import tax and shipping. Also the NA release would be shelf-friendly than it looks right now as a large cardboard box. As for Barnes & Nobel, I don't think they're going away anytime soon. Yes, they one day will go the way as so many others stores, but that won't be for sometime though.
The site description says:
Each of the four series comes individually packaged with a book by Andrew Pixley (four books in total) detailing an exhaustive episode-by-episode production history.
If "individually packaged" means some type of normal disc case inside that unwieldy box then that's OK as you can put the cases on the shelf and store the box.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The site description says:

If "individually packaged" means some type of normal disc case inside that unwieldy box then that's OK as you can put the cases on the shelf and store the box.

Here's a picture of what the inside of the box looks like. All 4 seasons look like there digipaks.
monty-python-s-flying-circus-norwegian-blu-ray-edition.jpg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yep... looks like digipaks - blech - but at least you can take the seasons out of the box for the shelf and that's a good thing! :)

I wonder how many of those boxes will be ripped/torn inside due to the season sets shifting in the slots? That looks to be rather thin paperboard that'll likely tear with the banging around it'll get during shipping.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Network did the restoration on this themselves. They own that and for a US edition to be released, they would have to license the restoration from Network. The set Network is producing is region free. I think they figure they can sell enough without having to do a separate US edition.

Did Network do the Prisoner restoration and license it out? That might be a model they would follow for this if they did.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Network did the restoration on this themselves. They own that and for a US edition to be released, they would have to license the restoration from Network. The set Network is producing is region free. I think they figure they can sell enough without having to do a separate US edition.

Also, in a first for Network, they are producing two versions of this set: a 50i release for "PAL" countries, and a 60i release for "NTSC" countries. All US orders placed directly from Network's website will be filled with 60i discs (regardless of whether you can play 1080i/50 or not) to ensure compatibility with US equipment.

This might open up a can of worms, however, when people start ordering from places like Amazon UK. Will they have both versions, or just the 50i? If they have both, can you choose, or are you stuck getting the one 'appropriate' for your country (I, personally, want a 50i set when I eventually decide to purchase this).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks