1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Monty Python's Flying Circus Restored for Blu Ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Coressel, Jun 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    The BBC was not the most politically correct institution at the time. They actually ran something called "The Black and White Minstrel Show" well into 1978,

2. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    my mind is wondering where i can get a slightly damaged box, with undamaged disc, for like really REALLY cheap.

3. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I finally received my set from Target today. Sadly, the box is pretty much destroyed. The 3 of the lid corners are broken as is the entire inside area where the cases should slide. It's a Christmas present from my wife so she immediately took control and wrapped it - with me having to explain the damage is "what's expected with this set based on reviews everywhere" and "No... I'm not going to do a return as the individual season boxes look OK and I'm just going to store the big outer box anyway" - at least I hope those inner boxes are OK. She was starting to put the paper on it and saw the torn corners. I walked in just as she was about to tape the corners back together - yes, I stopped that. I won't get to see any of the restoration until Christmas and that's OK - I've waited this long so I can wait another few days.

Did the box originally come shrink wrapped? Mine did not making me think it's possibly a return that Target passed along. Just curious as I'm keeping it due to the great price I paid ($91.01 after tax).

And... has anyone who *didn't* order directly from Network been able to get a replacement box? Again... mostly curious as, replaced or not, it's going into storage.

4. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    They weren't shrink wrapped. They came in a loose plastic bag.

5. David Norman

David Norman Producer

For those skipping the boxset and going straight for the Individual UK sets - S2 Digipak (incl Book) is now up for preorder releasing late Jan. I think the plan is for S3 and 4 to come out 6-8 wk intervals/
    It should be expected to drop to £20-24 by release to match S1

6. David Norman

David Norman Producer

First real sale I can remember on the set -- US edition 60i verison

Deep Discount -- use JOLLY15 for 15% off $105 price.
    DD will add $6 Heavy Shipping to the price so not quite as good as it could be, but $95+tax seem pretty decent for the set

7. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
  8. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Terry Jones always seemed like the "smaller" of the Pythons, not only because of his size, but because his personality always felt much more down-to-earth than the looming force of Cleese and Chapman and the smarmy charm of Palin and Idle. That's why he was so often the everyman in their sketches, and even his drag-characters had a bit more sympathy to them than the screeching Pepperpots usually did.

Not that he couldn't go over-the-top when needed, but he always felt like a kind, decent anchor to all the lunacy around him. And that his later years saw that kind, decent, brilliant mind diminished...man, 2020, you suck.

Brian Kidd and MatthewA like this.
  9. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Well said. A good example of that is the “nudge nudge, wink wink” sketch from series 1. He manages to hold it together against Eric Idle’s very animated line of questioning, leading to the brilliant irony of its ending. All of this was done in a single shot.

And it was also he who played Brian’s mother in Life of Brian and gave us the immortal line “he’s not the messiah, just a very naughty boy.”

joshEH likes this.
  10. Message #290 of 295 Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    ^ Funny thing, was just last week using episodes from Terry's excellent Medieval Lives TV series in my history classes as part of our discussion on the Middle Ages. Brilliant stuff.

Brian Kidd likes this.
  11. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I just watched the first two episodes of the first season, and the quality is truly stunning! The box arrived through the regular mail miraculously with no damage.

I have not had much chance to compare this set with the A&E complete series DVD set I already have. Is there any reason to keep the DVD set now? In other words, I know the quality of the shows have improved, but are there extras on the older set not found on the Blu ray?

12. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Screenwriter

There's lots on the 14 ton set ,that isn't on this set ,One of the German shows ,two documentaries The aspen ,Hollywood Bowel stuff,all the original stuff on those personal best collections ect

phillyrobt likes this.
  13. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    There have been at least 3 "Complete" series sets:

The 2000 A&E "Complete Series" (14 discs) is just the shows:
    [​IMG]

The 2005 "16 Ton Megaset" (16 discs) has "Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl", "Live at Aspen", "20 Years of Python: Parrot Sketch Not Included", and "Monty Python's Fliegender Zirkus: German Episode 1" on 2 extra discs (which were available separately at one point):
    [​IMG]

It's the 2008 "Complete Collector's Edition" (21 discs) that has everything in the "16 Ton Megaset" and adds the "Personal Best Collections.":
    [​IMG]

I own a copy of the 16 Ton Megaset and purchased a couple of the "Personal Best" collections to find them mostly redundant and unneeded if you own the entire series.

phillyrobt likes this.
  14. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    Blimpoy06 likes this.
  15. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    Where can one purchase this?