What's new

Monty Python’s Flying Circus Restored for Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
While not confirmed, supposedly the individual seasons will follow at a later date. Presumably the ‘extras‘ in the box won’t be included (and the sum of four sets will be less than this Limited set.

No actual details yet, but for me, if it’s the same discs, I would be ok with that.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
While not confirmed, supposedly the individual seasons will follow at a later date. Presumably the ‘extras‘ in the box won’t be included (and the sum of four sets will be less than this Limited set.

No actual details yet, but for me, if it’s the same discs, I would be ok with that.

It should be the same discs. Typically, with Network, it's the extras (namely, the Andrew Pixely books) that won't be included later on.

Mind, with The Goodies, almost all the 'real' extras (i.e. not the tote bag) were released separately after the limited-edition set sold out, as I recall.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Since Network is producing a US version, it seems to me that they are considering their release to be the US release. They might make that version available in US Amazon and perhaps other retailers. There's no reason to wait for a US release if this one is 100% US compatible. Do you think the individual seasons will be produced in both US and UK versions too?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Since Network is producing a US version, it seems to me that they are considering their release to be the US release. They might make that version available in US Amazon and perhaps other retailers. There's no reason to wait for a US release if this one is 100% US compatible. Do you think the individual seasons will be produced in both US and UK versions too?

As someone speculated on Roobarb's, maybe Network will licence the individual series releases to Shout! or someone else.

If not and they plan to do it themselves, they need to do something to differentiate any future 'retail' (non-exclusive) US/60i release from the UK/50i one (noticeably different boxart, if nothing else).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
As someone speculated on Roobarb's, maybe Network will licence the individual series releases to Shout! or someone else.

If not and they plan to do it themselves, they need to do something to differentiate any future 'retail' (non-exclusive) US/60i release from the UK/50i one (noticeably different boxart, if nothing else).
If nothing else, you should have the UK rating symbol on any UK version box(es). I'd think that won't be on a US release.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Lot of assumptions here, not the least of which assuming Barnes and Noble will still be in existence.

I'd say the chance the B&N will be in existence is fairly high since I doubt someone would shell out 9 figures and shut it down 1 month later.
Nov Criterion sale I'd say is a pretty safe bet, but much harder to say about the normal December Sales

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
If nothing else, you should have the UK rating symbol on any UK version box(es). I'd think that won't be on a US release.

Well, unless Network cheaps-out and doesn't licence the property out to someone else, fulfilling all orders (UK and US) with the same boxart.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but didn't Network do a US and UK release of Robin of Sherwood? If so, anybody know if it was easy to distinguish between those?

One would hope that if Network don't licence out the individual-series releases, that they'll make the extra effort to do much more than just take the BBFC symbols off the art to distinguish one from the other.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Well, unless Network cheaps-out and doesn't licence the property out to someone else, fulfilling all orders (UK and US) with the same boxart.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but didn't Network do a US and UK release of Robin of Sherwood? If so, anybody know if it was easy to distinguish between those?

One would hope that if Network don't licence out the individual-series releases, that they'll make the extra effort to do much more than just take the BBFC symbols off the art to distinguish one from the other.

Acorn Media released the DVD's and this Blu-ray set.

914-E5kVEsL._SL1500_.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have an interesting question (or at least I think it's interesting)...

I have to wait another week to order this set. I am at my budget max for this month and have to wait for my credit card to start a new cycle since I will be charged immediately...

(but I digress)...

Can I play the GBP value game with this preorder?

...meaning wait for the value of GBP to drop (which it has) to get a better conversion rate on this set?

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Did hear on the news that the pound might drop because of the Brexit situation but you never know. Below is a graph of the pound for the past year.
upload_2019-8-1_15-3-30.png

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Either way, I'm still interested to see just how much improvement they can get from 50-year-old tapes. The animated parts alone are like night and day based on the small smattering of samples released thus far, but I don't expect that much difference for everything else.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Either way, I'm still interested to see just how much improvement they can get from 50-year-old tapes. The animated parts alone are like night and day based on the small smattering of samples released thus far, but I don't expect that much difference for everything else.

Did you watch the trailer, the clips they used look clean and clear to me.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Yes, looks like they were able to find at least some of the original film sequences (apart from Gilliam's animations). Whether they found them all or not, I suppose, remains to be seen.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
This release has been postponed to November 4. Apparently due to some new material that was found.
I just saw that! Great news, actually. I'd rather wait an extra month and get all the goods:
Here is the email I got from Network Distributing:

Dear customer,

First, some slightly not-so-good-news - we’re really sorry that we have had to delay the release date of the magnificent box set until 4th November 2019

The absolutely spiffing news, however, is that during the course of the restoration, just as we thought we’d seen everything, yet more cans of film material emerged from other quarters that could, frankly, have been anything. We’re still painstakingly going through every frame of the archive but have discovered a wealth of Python nuggets, a lot of it unseen.

It would be impossible to include this material and still make the original release date but, it was an easy decision as not only is a lot of the material being seen for the first time, it is all being restored and presented in HD.

As a thank you for your patience, enjoy this preview of an exclusive, very rare and reinstated piece of animation we have restored to HD quality:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks