What's new

Monsters Inc DVD (technical issues merged thread) (2 Viewers)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I have not watched the 4:3 version of the film, but I got the impression that -- as with A Bug's Life -- the 4:3 version is recomposed. That is, it's not necessarily the sort of butcher job you'd expect from Pan and Scan -- even if it's not the preferred OAR presentation.

It must be useful to be able to "reshoot" a scene by just telling the computer to move this digital object/actor to that position, while keeping everything else the same.
Nevertheless, Pixar shouldn't feed the baby cuckoo.

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Pulled all the machines out of this thread and compiled a list. I also eliminated duplicates, unless different errors occurred:
Nice job Nathan. Here is another Pioneer that locks up at layer change (84:01), the Pioneer PDV-LC10 portable.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Technical aspects aside, though I do find all the great info very interesting (always curious), I think my question was answered when you (BillM) mentioned Gary Rydstrom mixed both TPM and MI. It may just be his "style" and/or preference of settings when doing a soundtrack.

I was trying to figure out if this was something that happened when the film was transferred to DVD or if they were originally recorded at that level, and it seems that may be the case.

Hello All,

Well I just played Monsters Inc on my Pioneer Elite DV-05 and at 84:01 the player freezes up. I had to skip to move forward to the end of the movie. Is it time for a new DVD Player?

This is really quite frustrating.

Matt

Roogs Benoit

Stunt Coordinator
If you miss laser disc so much just pretend that at the layer change that , that's when you should flip over the disc.
Monster's Inc probably wouldn't look as good either on laser, being a direct digital transfer to DVD.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Forgot about this thread, but just got through watching my version. I've noticed the same 84:01 skip. It actually skips ahead after stopping for a few seconds in my HPDVD200. There's also one area earlier, can't remember where, where it slows down and alot of pixilation happens.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Hi,
This is off topic, but at the same time, on topic, so let me ask it here.
My Snow Shite DVD disc 2 has high treble sound glitches (if you know what i mean) throughout some of the extras. Anyone had the same problem? Do you think Buena Vista will replace the disc, since it's already on moratorium.. :frowning:

Stas T

Stunt Coordinator
No problem on my Pioneer DV-434. The layer change was noticeable, but not much more than most.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
The sound level and overall dynamics seem to be 'normal' to me, as well. (isn't the movie just great??) And I'll also agree that this thread is indeed very informative... good techy reading!! :)
scott.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree that the overall sound level on this disc definitely appears to be on the low side! Still great sound overall, but I just need to crank it up more than usual.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I get the same problem on my pioneer DV-C302D

Quite annoying. I have to skip to the next chapter.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Noticeable layer change on my Tosiba SD-4700, but no lock-ups. I agree that they picked a poor place to put the layer change.

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
Mine froze momentarily for a layer change right at the end (boo's door) like it appears everyone else did.

Layer change is what I attributed it to. Sony SVP755

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
NEW PROBLEM!
Anyone else experience a complete lock-up when selecting "Monster Song" form the Music & Sound submenu on Disc 2? I get a green screen and my faithful Toshiba player is completely unresponsive to the remote and unit controls. I had to unplug the player. I repeated this three times in a row to see if was some fluke. :confused:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Hey, if I could get "Monsters Inc" on laserdisc at least the entire movie would play all the way through on my player without my having to pick up the remote! There's be a pause where the player changes sides, but mine does that automatically. That's a LOT less annoying than having the damn thing just stop, flag my sound system to PCM then a loud crackle sound when it flags back to Dolby after I hit the chapter-skip button.
Like I said in the Studio Feedback thread, this is simply not acceptable, and I won't be buying ANY more discs from Mala Vista until they put out a corrected version!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks