What's new

Monsters Inc DVD (technical issues merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Yannick Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Finally exchanged the second disc of my Canadian version: my old Toshiba 3006 still don't recognize this disc.

Oh well, at least the second disc plays in my Pioneer 333 and the movie plays on both my players.

YM

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
I think the DV-717 was still missing in the long list of Pioneer players affected, but now I can sadly report that mine got frozen at layer change (R1 edition), and fast forward had no effect whatsoever.
I had to resort to chapter skip.
:frowning:

JoelO

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in for a problem w/ Monster Song on DVD 2. And I have Toshiba SD4700.

Surprisingly, I don't remember the layer change at the end to be that bad which is kinda a surprise for me since my Tosh is usually horrible for layer change.

Joel

Ben Crouse

Agent
FIRST POST EVER!
Hey folks. I've been watching this thread awhile. Does anyone know if the bitrate is higher on the Canadian version of Monsters Inc? It should, shouldn't it since the disc only has the widescreen version? as a follow up question, what players are you guys using that can display the bitrate? I have an old Panasonic A-120U and it doesn't do that as far as i know. ...and just to add my two cents, it plays both discs without any problem, aside from a slight pause for the layer change.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just in case anyone is keeping score...

And someone DID consolidate all the different equipment and compatibility with Monsters, Inc on an earlier page...

My Toshiba 1600 (as reported earlier) plays the layer change fine (slight delay). My updated report is that it plays "Monster Song" with no problem whatsoever.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Eugene-

You may be selecting the isolated Sound Effects track. Check the audio options.
Thanks,

I just checked Monsters, Inc several minutes ago & that was what I was doing. When I played the movie I selected 5.1 Surround Sound Effects Mix (maybe Disney should have labeled the selection Isolated Sound Effects). At least, I now know that my disc wasn't defective.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
You can add me to the list of having problems with this DVD. The movie freezes up on my Pioneer DVL 909 at 84.01 but plays without problems on my Toshiba SD 3109. I haven't tried the second disc yet and will comment on it later if I there are any problems. I am going to give Disney a call about the freeze up problem after I get through the second disc.

Brian Steeves

Second Unit
I started a thread on this topic without looking to see if there was one already. DOH! Anyway the thread was closed almost immediately so no one was able to answer one of my questions.

I wanted to know if I was going to have a problem returning it to Best Buy?

KevinHunt

Stunt Coordinator
Finally watched Monster's Inc. last night(BB rental copy) The THX intro was as impressive as any good intro I've heard. Plenty of heavy LFE when the cows stampeded(dual SVS 16-46cs+, 2dB hot). Also, the layer change was the quickest I've seen on my player(Arcam FMJ DV27). Just a snap and it was over.

Brian Steeves

Second Unit
Well I exchanged the disc I had for another and am VERY HAPPY to report that the new disc plays through the layer change without a hitch!!! It's maybe a second long change with no audio dropout at all. I must have had a bad disc.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Ugh.. why did they have to put the layer change on the widescreen version?

Since both versions are on the same disk, why don't they let the 4:3 viewers suffer?

Eric Brian

Agent
You are probably selecting the Sound Effects-only track said:
Why include this "Sound Effects Only" track in the first place, if it's included in the regular DD 5.1 track. Who wants to watch the movie listening to only the sound effects.
Seems like a waste of space to me and could have been left out to make room for the FULL movie without the layer change. Or they could have included the DTS track as in the PAL version. Just my 2 cents.
EB

David Stone

Stunt Coordinator
UPDATE (well, so to speak)

I called Buena Vista Home Video support back today and was told their technicians were still investigating the problem.

I called Pioneer Electronics support back today and was told their technicians were still investigating the problem.

At least both companies are still looking at the situation.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I just got the disc and I found not only for the film to be great, but the DVD excellent as well.

As for the sound effects-only mix, I think it's a great extra. It really shows how important effects are.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
"At least both companies are still looking at the situation."

Well, until the "situation" gets fixed, I'm not buying any more Disney DVDs!

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I finally got around to the second disc last night and Monster song locked up the first time I played it on my Pioneer DVL-909. It locked up about two seconds from the end, but it played fine several times after the initial problem. At least I am able to get around the layer freeze on the movie if I play it on my Toshiba. Hopefully Disney will offer a corrected DVD like they did for the Dinosaur DVD. But I remember it took Disney awhile to release a new disc as a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks