What's new

Monsters Inc DVD (technical issues merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Pan RP62 worked fine. could tell there was a layer change, but no worse than any other movie.

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Very noticeable layer change on my Toshiba SD-4700. Possibly one of the worst placed layer changes I've seen. That's assuming that they "placed" it, of course; it's more likely that they just let it "fall" wherever the authoring software put it.

AlbertH

Stunt Coordinator
i covered up my receiver so as not to bother me during the movie, and i was suprised to see my level at -12.0 when i usually watch at -19.5 and i did not find most of the movie loud at all! Whilst LOTR FOTR was nearly unbearable at -19.5!!!

Lyle

Auditioning
NEW PROBLEM! Anyone else experience a complete lock-up when selecting "Monster Song" form the Music & Sound submenu on Disc 2? I get a green screen and my faithful Toshiba player is completely unresponsive to the remote and unit controls. I had to unplug the player. I repeated this three times in a row to see if was some fluke.
I have this exact problem on my Toshiba 3750

Nick Pudar

Agent
Sony DVP-FX1 (portable player):
No Monster Song glitch.
Noticeable layer change at 84:01, but I can live with it.

Nick

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
They don't have a choice; they HAVE to let it fall where the authoring software puts it.
Really? Then IMHO that's a poorly designed piece of software. Most layer switches happen at the end of scene, so I always assumed that the authoring software let the user specify the change point to some degree.

Shane Bass

Grip
I have a problem that is driving me crazy. I have a JVC RM-SXVF85J and when I play Monster's Inc, there is a vibration in the picture during the entire movie. During the menus and previews the picture is fine. Once the movie starts, beginning with the Walt Disney logo, there is a vibration in the movie. I have tried other discs that I have and I have never had a problem with the vibration before. When I played the movie on my computer, the vibration wasn't there. I have heard that computers read the movie differently so I do not know if that is the reason for no vibrations. I would ordinarily think that my player was the problem, but since it doesn't have this problem with other movies, I am at a loss. I absolutely love this movie and it is so totally frustrating to not be able to enjoy it due to the vibration. Today I got desperate and purchased another copy of Monster's Inc and it too had the vibrations. What could possibly be wrong? Is there a setting on my player that could be causing this? I have adjusted everything that I could think of in my setup. Please help:frowning: Thanks!

Shane Bass

Grip
Well, I think I have solved my problem. On my JVC player, under the "choice" selection, I made a change in the Progressive scan options. My player was set on "Auto". When I set it on "Smart" the vibrations stopped. I don't know what the differences between the options are since my instruction manual is packed away in moving boxes, but it is a solution in case anybody else was having the same problem. Still don't know why I had to make this selection since I haven't done so before on other movies, but at least I can watch this movie now in peace.:)

AnthonyL

Stunt Coordinator
Just to add my two cents. I have a pioneer 414 and it also freezes at the same spot. Any suggestions on what to do.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Monsters Inc. plays fine on my Sony DVP-S9000ES. The layer change is jarring but it doesn't freeze. But then, unfortunately, I've gotten used to this on a lot of recent discs. Seems like older discs would have better placed layer changes than newer ones.

I didn't try the Monster Song feature yet.

KJP

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
BillM,
There are titles that are re-eq'd for home theater, and there are titles that are not re-eq'd for home theater. That is why applying the THX eq with your gear at home will sometimes help and sometimes hurt. Are you disputing this?

Similarly, there are titles that have their dynamic range compressed for home theater, there are titles that are merely shifted via dialnorm, and there are titles with both some compression and shifting.

Regards,

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
As far as the computer error message when registering your complaint, I have also had this problem. The problem occurs when I use my old netscape browser using version 4.7.

When I used IE 5.1, everything worked fine. I have a mac using os8.6. Perhaps it is your browser.

Hope this helps.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
NEW PROBLEM!

Anyone else experience a complete lock-up when selecting "Monster Song" form the Music & Sound submenu on Disc 2? I get a green screen and my faithful Toshiba player is completely unresponsive to the remote and unit controls. I had to unplug the player. I repeated this three times in a row to see if was some fluke.
I'll check this out on my Tosh SD6200/Pioneer DV414 and let you know what it does.

JimmyK

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Another one for the pot:

I have the same freeze on my Pioneer DVL-919. It plays fine on my work PC (Dell laptop). I also have the annoying issue of the sound switching momentarily to PCM, accompanied by a crackling sound. This is the first DVD to have a problem with my Pioneer so far (I own a few hundred DVDs)...I really hope they fix this.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
I hope you Toshiba folks with the Monster Song glitch call and complain to Buena Vista. They seem to think the problems with the disc are Pioneer problems and not theirs.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Why is this thread separate? These sound like technical issues to me, thus I have to merge with the main thread.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
My disc defaults to the french track.

I put my Cdn disc into my Sony dvp 550 and pressed play. The dialogue in the opening scene was in french, I thought maybe it took place in France, but the movie continued in french.

I took the disc out again, put it back in, and again the movie started in french.

Besides that problem and the fact that the two discs are recorded at a really low level, those were the major hiccups with this release.

Disney please reissue and include a DTS track!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks