What's new

Mommie Dearest (1981) - Paramount Presents - June 1, 2021 (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
1617015685131.png

As per Amazon, Paramount will release Mommie Dearest as part of its Paramount Presents line on June 1, 2021:​

Synopsis:​

The endlessly quotable cult-classic celebrates 40 years with this debut on Blu-ray, restored from a new 4K film transfer and packed with all-new special features. Based on Christina Crawford’s controversial best-selling tell-all novel, MOMMMIE DEAREST features a powerhouse performance by Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford, struggling for her career while battling the inner demons of her private life. While the public Crawford was a strong-willed, glamorous object of admiration, behind-the-scenes is a private Crawford—the woman desperate to be a single-mother and trying to survive in a devastating industry that swallows careers thoughtlessly.

Special Features:​

• Commentary By American Drag Queen Hedda Lettuce
  • Commentary by John Water
  • Filmmaker Focus: Biographer Justin Bozung on Director Frank Perry
  • The Revival of Joan
  • Life with Joan
  • Joan Lives On
  • Photo Gallery
  • Original Theatrical Trailer

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Well now - one of the ultimate camp classics. Isn't that supposed to be a commentary by John Waters? He certainly is an authority on camp classics. Definitely one for my collection.

John Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Gilmore
Hmmm. Hate to be a thread-crapper, but I'm disappointed. Was hoping to get extras that would go more in-depth on the differences between the book and the film, and how the film evolved (or de-volved as it were). The carryover documentaries are quite good, but I already have the DVD and would rather hear commentaries from people who actually worked on the film. For me, it'll be a $4.99 iTunes re-buy.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I've never seen this movie, but I was involved with the soundtrack album, and I seem to recall there was a cue we thought was left out of the movie, but it was only left out of the multi-channel remix. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
This seems right. In that case, I hope this cue is restored for this new release. I don't have it handy, but I recall the cue in question was also on the cue sheet, meaning it was there originally.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

I see that now, much more film savvy than when this originally came out, and all I can think of is she was practicing for a role in Strait-Jacket

joan crawford vintage horror GIF by absurdnoise
ha or the opposite...her daughter and the filmmakers were inspired by Crawford's films and embellished many a story. "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend..."

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
There are some that know every word of the script.
It has genuine cult status, alongside with The Rocky Horrow Picture Show and Pink Flamingos. Didn't fans used to attend screenings carrying coat hangers, back int the day?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Born deficient of the "camp" gene, I just find this an ordinary bad movie. However, it contains a genuinely great performance by Faye Dunaway (who just missed getting the New York film critics best actress award by a couple of votes) and for that reason alone, I look forward to this release. Proof positive that bad movies can contain great performances.

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
View attachment 93532

As per Amazon, Paramount will release Mommie Dearest as part of its Paramount Presents line on June 1, 2021:​

Synopsis:​

The endlessly quotable cult-classic celebrates 40 years with this debut on Blu-ray, restored from a new 4K film transfer and packed with all-new special features. Based on Christina Crawford’s controversial best-selling tell-all novel, MOMMMIE DEAREST features a powerhouse performance by Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford, struggling for her career while battling the inner demons of her private life. While the public Crawford was a strong-willed, glamorous object of admiration, behind-the-scenes is a private Crawford—the woman desperate to be a single-mother and trying to survive in a devastating industry that swallows careers thoughtlessly.

Special Features:​

• Commentary By American Drag Queen Hedda Lettuce
  • Commentary by John Water
  • Filmmaker Focus: Biographer Justin Bozung on Director Frank Perry
  • The Revival of Joan
  • Life with Joan
  • Joan Lives On
  • Photo Gallery
  • Original Theatrical Trailer
It figures. I just bought the newly released Blu-ray by Cinema Cult. Like the forthcoming Paramount Blu-ray it has the three mini docs, which are 15 years old, but it has no other extras. No commentaries, no closed captioning, no trailers. Disappointed. Does the Paramount release have closed-captioning?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks