What's new

MLB Hot Stove 2008-2009 (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
can you be more specific on what your issue is with what's in the article you linked to?

LewB

Screenwriter

The whole deal of spending a king's ransom for a baseball ticket, then spending your time watching an Iron Chef make sushi. I hate seeing people at a ballgame who have to be reminded that there is a ballgame going on.

To each his own, whatever the market will bear, etc. I'd just like to see that area of the ballpark more accessible to 'regular Joes'. Those seats and amenities will be bought (and written off) as business expenses by people who will only be there as long as it takes to schmooze whoever they brought.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Amen.

I hope all this "premium experience" nonsense at the new Yankee Stadium blows up in their face. I wouldn't want that to become the standard ballpark experience.

$15 for a roast beef sandwich? That's great for a family of four. But I guess in you're sitting in four $2500 seats it doesn't really matter, eh?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
It's fried onions and peppers. The ballpark has some very highly regarded local food setups; there's a "Five Guys Burgers and Fries" in the outfield, and one or two "Ben's Chili Bowl" stalls as well. However, the "Senator Sausages" covered with onions and peppers are my personal favorites; they had those at RFK also.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. My one complaint about Nationals Park last year was the lack of hotdog vendors in the sstands. My friends and family think I'm nuts. The hotdogs from Ben's Chili Bowl or the Senator Sausages are so much better than the stands vendor dogs, but there's something wonderful about sitting in the stands enjoying the game and not even having to get out of your seat to get a hot dog!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's nice, too, that they kept the name "Senator Sausages" even if the team's ownership didn't feel the same kin-ship with the history of baseball in Washington...

I like the turn this thread has taken. ;) I can tell we understand that two of the most important things in life are baseball and good food.

Here are some shots from outside Fenway last year:

And, inside Fenway:

:D

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
"good food" being a relative term. When I go to a ballpark I'm not looking for a gourmet feast, I'm looking for a hotdog and peanuts with a beer or two.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Do they let you bring food into Fenway? The sausages there look just like the ones at Nationals Park, right down to the grill covered with onions and peppers. Man I'm getting HUNGRY thinking about it.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
You can get either hotdog style sausuage or hot italian, smothered with onions and peppers on a nice italian roll. I sometimes get them, they are really good!

At Nationals Park they let you bring bottled water and peanuts or hotdogs (or lots of other stuff - whatever you want foodwise, but no glass no beer no soda). Lots of times I'll get two plain hotdogs from the vendors outside the stadium then use the condiments in the stadium to dress them up when I get in.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
"Good food" at the ballpark does NOT equal "fine dining!" :D

Don't know what the policy is @ Fenway about bringing in food. Unfortunately, I'm not there enough. But I'll be enjoying a Fenway Sausage on April 18th (Orioles)! :emoji_thumbsup:

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Since we're talking ballpark food, it gives me an excuse to post this recommendation for the next time you're at a West Michigan Whitecaps Minor League game.

THIS is a burger (or a basketball, hard to tell)

In case you want to know how it's made:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For anyone who missed it, the AP did an inte4resting poll on the state of baseball and some of the various issues surrounding it.

The entire poll results can be found HERE.

Some highlights:

It will be interesting to see what this apparent reaction to the economic downturn means for the new ballparks in NYC.

I am stunned by the answers to questions #10 and #11 that indicate HUGE support for the expansion of the use of instant replay. But that's me! ;)

I'm thrilled that 60% said they weren't interested in the WBC.

85% want all 103 names on the list of positive steroid tests (which outed A-Rod) to be made public.

And, while 85% say they "care" that players used steroids, it wasn't so clear what they felt the impact was. 57% say no MLBer who used steroids should be let in the H-O-F. 42% said steroid use should not be an automatic exclusion from the H-O-F.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks