What's new

"The Cincinnati Reds 1975 World Series Collector's Edition" -- A Personal Review (1 Viewer)

Dave_M

Agent
Real Name
David Martin
Guys, I have an audio sync question. On disc 1 starting around chapter 11 the video is ahead of the audio by 10-15 sec. (Rose hits a line drive to Evans) It lasts for 3 chapters and things seem to go back to normal at chapter 14. Could someone please check this on their copy? This is the only disc I've watched so far so I can't say if it happens on my other discs. I called A&E TV yesterday and they said they weren't aware of a problem. I've tried it on 2 dvd players and get the same thing. Thanks.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Jack, I have to admit that I'm wondering why this topic hadn't been moved. I was surprised to find a World Series DVD collection being discussed in TV Shows on DVD.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
David: Is it me...or doesn't Larry Biitner slightly resemble the young Johnny Bench?! Even just in the way he's holding the bat and standing there.

When I first saw the card...I actually thought it was Bench!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Yes....my copy has the same problem, at just exactly the chapters you've mentioned (covering innings 6 and 7 of Game 1...but not the important 6-run bottom of the 7th for Boston). So, luckily, no scoring innings are affected (much like the way that no scoring frames are affected by the excising of 2 innings total in Games 2 and 3 on this DVD set).

So, not every little thing is 100% perfect-o here...but overall I'm still lovin' this 7-Disc package.

That audio problem on Game 1 is a weird one, and makes me wonder what happened there (A&E asleep at the proverbial switch?). An odd out-of-sync anomaly. And it's not even close in terms of "lining up". As Dave M. said, it's a good 10 seconds or more out-of-sync there. Perhaps that disc will eventually be fixed as more people notice it and complain. That'd be nice.

I haven't noticed any other sync/audio issues on the other discs I've watched. (Haven't watched all 17+ hours as yet however.)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

I'm a little confused by your comment here, Mark .... because this thread already HAS been moved once. I originally put it in "Films/Docu.", but Jack B. moved it to "TV". Are you thinking it should be moved back to "Films"? (Same conflict I had in the first place. It was a coin flip.)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Well, perhaps. But, Mike, how could you think the lefthanded-swinging Biittner was J.B. (Johnny was a RH hitter)? (Or did you think that Topps had the image on Biittner's card reversed, which is a mistake that I do think has occurred on occasion with baseball cards?)

Anyway, let's take another gander (yeah, the "snarling" look is similar indeed)........ :)

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
David VP, I actually do not hate the Yankees now although I hope they lose every game they play. I hated them in the 70's, however. The Red Sox and the Yankees HATED each other then. There were a few memorable brawls in that time period that were really ugly. Joe Torre, Jeter, and other Yankees great players of the last 10 years are mostly class acts. Back on topic, if memory serves me right Luis Tiant threw 160 pitches in the game 4 victory. That would never happen today. Also, when a local cable station re-ran these games around a year ago I noticed that the players in general were a lot smaller than todays players. It really stood out to me. The pre-lifting/supplements/steroid era I reckon. The loss in this series that killed the Sox was game 2. If memory serves me correct the Sox had a 2-1 lead going into the 9th inning and Denny Doyle was not able to make a makeable play on a throw to first base that opened the doors for the Reds to score 2 runs in the 9th for the victory.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
David, thanks for the info on the Phillies DVD. I'll definitely have to check that out. Although not the full series, it is great that they at least have the series clincher in its entirety. And even Game 5 of the NLCS that year between the Phils and Astros (arguably the best NLCS of all time, by the way).

And yes I do remember quite well the crazy "painted on" hat logos that Topps used to do on those cards when guys had been traded. They were quite a hoot! I think the issue was that the photos for the cards were usually taken sometime early in spring training, and then players were traded after the photos had already been sent to the printers. This of course was in the days well before Photoshop or other good digital photoprocessing existed, so the new logos would have to be airbrushed/painted in by hand, probably directly on the printer-ready galley proofs. Needless to say, the artistry was often not all that good, much to the amusement of many a card collector.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Right. Which makes this 1972 card of Joe Morgan (as an Astro) all the more perplexing, seeing as how Joe had been traded to Cincinnati at the winter meetings in late November of 1971, well before any photos were taken for the '72 Topps set. :confused: ......

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
All right, Dave! Thanks for the side-by-side comparison. Now I'm convinced! Larry Biitner really WAS Johnny Bench! The left-handed thing was a weak attempt to throw everyone off! Kinda like when Clark Kent donned a pair of eyeglasses to convince everyone he wasn't really Superman!

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
David, it's nice to know my memory wasn't playing tricks on me re the bubble-gum contest!

And, those 1975 cards you pictured (such as the Bench-Rose-Morgan cards at the top of your review) were issued in "mini" versions to limited areas. All the minis are worth a premium, with George Brett's rookie mini-card likely leading the pack for that year.

The '75 cards were a year or two removed, I believe, from the days when Topps issued cards in series. The lower-numbered cards were rolled out first, at the start of the baseball season, but the higher-number ones either weren't printed in great quantities or didn't make their way into most stores (or were sent back unsold if they did). Whatever the case, you ended up with a gem if you had a likely Hall-of-Famer or a great rookie whose card fell in that 600-700 number range.

Regarding traded players, at some point in the late '70s Topps started issuing "traded" sets around August or September with maybe 100-and-some cards featuring all the rookies who did well during the summer and all the players who had been dealt to other teams. Somewhere at home I've got a Fleer or Donruss card from the year they entered the market (1981? Fleer actually re-entered after a long absence) where the text on the back editorializes that "for some reason" the player had been traded in the past! They had to reissue that one.

Those four extra-inning games made that 1980 NLCS memorable, for sure. On the ALCS side, I'll never forget those two 2-run homers the Red Sox hit in the top of the ninth in 1986 at California, with the Angels tying it in the bottom of the ninth before Henderson won it for the Sox in the 11th. Donnie Moore, RIP...

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Yes...I seem to recall those as well.

Also -- Do you recall the "Washington Natl. League" cards that Topps printed in 1974 (when it was rumored the Padres were moving to the nation's Capital)? I had some of those (which are probably worth quite a few greenbacks today, seeing as how S.D. did not move to Washington).

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Funny, Dave. Beckert is pictured in his old Cubs uniform.

I, like you am a diehard Reds fan. I have been since around 1970. I have always lived in NE Indiana and only get to a couple games a year. BTW, I was there yesterday (6/14) when Dunn hit that bomb in the 11th to beat the Brewers.

I watched every game of that series as well as any other game we got on TV. I also listened to many games on the radio. I even remember when Al Michaels was a Reds announcer prior to Marty B.

In 1972, Did you feel after the big trade with Houston that the Reds had given the Astros the pennant. At the time, Lee May and Tommy Helms were very popular and productive in Cincy. Morgan hadn't entered his prime yet, Billingham "had potential", and Menke and Geronimoe were journeymen at best. I definitely thought we were doomed. But instead, I was quickly proved wrong, and we got a World Series appearance in 1972 and World Series wins in 1975 and 1976.

Thanks for letting me know about this DVD. I will be ordering it soon.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Oh, you bet. Good golly, I don't think I'd ever even heard of this guy "Joe Morgan" when the Reds plucked him from Houston's roster in the big 8-player trade at the '71 Winter Meetings.....let alone Billingham, Menke, Geronimo, or Armbrister.

But that was the genius of Bob Howsam (that time anyway). But that genius unraveled quite a bit in '76, when one of the worst trades the Reds ever made was engineered....letting the Expos have a "franchise" player (albeit an aging one) in Tony Perez in a trade that brought the Reds Woodie "I'll Be Lucky If I Can Survive 3 Innings" Fryman and Dale Murray.

And we not only gave Montreal Perez, but also let 'em have our top lefty bullpen stopper, Will McEnaney, to boot. I cringe at the thought of that miserable deal. :frowning:

The Perez deal rivals the hideous "Let's Trade Frank Robinson To Baltimore And Watch Him Win The A.L. Triple-Crown Immediately" lulu of a bad transaction in '65.

Of course, hindsight is always 20/20, isn't it? The Reds thought Robby was on his way out. And Perez too. But both players still had some great years after their trades from Cincy.

On the brighter side of "Reds Trades Central" -- I think one of the best deals the Reds ever made was when they picked up an unknown little lefty hurler named John Franco from the Dodgers' organization in May 1983 for utilityman Rafael Landestoy.

So, ya win some and ya lose some. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks