What's new

2007-2008 MLB Hot Stove (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

================

I still am not completely sure why Pettitte and Knoblauch got passes from Congress on attending the hearing.

THIS ARTICLE from the NY Daily News was the first time I'd heard much about why Pettitte asked to be excused and what's been going on with his part of the tale.

He's supposed to hold a press conference Monday in Tampa when he arrives for spring training. THAT ought to be a feeding frenzy of questions about Clemens. Even if they take it easy with questions about his dad, they are going to be merciless with Clemens questions. And if he doesn't answer them now...he can expect to hear those questions all season.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Nah... Soon, there's going to be actual baseball to talk about, and this crap will get dialed back by about 75%.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nobody wants that to be true more than me...

...but it looks like Pettitte is about to become the face of steroids in baseball. He will likely now be the player with the highest profile connected to the Mitchell report (I don't see Bonds or Clemens playing again) AND he has such an intimate role in the Clemens scandal...AND I could see the swirling controversy potentially impacting Pettitte's performance this season. There will be no Joe Torre in place to shield Pettitte from the tempest.

NY sportswriters are all about a scandal. You sell a heckuva lot more newspapers with scandal than you do with the day-in, day-out of a 162 game season. He will be tested this season off-the-field.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Here's one from the Unusual Injuries file: Astros OF Hunter Pence spends a night in the ER when he crashes through the sliding glass door in the bathroom of his spring training house.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
MLB may as well cancel the season now and just award the '08 World Series title to Boston. How can they NOT win it with Colon?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow...Scott rolls out the major sarcasm.....

...I think! :laugh:

Hey. He could win 'em a game or two or three. Or, as the baseball men like to say, "give 'em some innings!" :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I gotta tell you...I'm sitting in the basement office of my home tonight. Outside it is just 6-degrees. VERY cold. So the basement is also relatively cold (it is not heated). But as I am doing some work (and being distracted a bit by the HTF), I am listening to WEEI's broadcast of tonight's Red Sox game against Northeastern from Florida on my mlb.com Gameday Audio package.

It is warming my heart quite a lot to be listening to the ebb and flow of a ball game on the radio.

The rest of me is still quite cold, but at least my heart is warm! :D

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Well, he's averaged 3.5 wins/year the past 2 seasons, so 3 wins is a possibility. Just don't put too much pressure on him.

Johan's spring debut with the Mets not so good: 2IP, 4H, 3R - all the runs coming off the bat of Juan Gonzalez (yes, that Juan Gonzalez) with a 3-run homer in the 1st.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah...but it's only spring training. I bet when the season gets underway the Mets will probably get a solid three wins from Santana! Maybe more! :D

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Apparently, Shawn Green retired last week. I had not heard anything about it until this afternoon when I listened to a podcast from last Thursday.

I'm surprised I didn't at least see anything about it on ESPN's Bottom Line. I try to check it out everyday.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Red Sox players refusing to play exibition game today and refusing to board plane to Japan unless MLB pays $40,000 appearance bonus to entire coaching staff as promised.

MLB previously promised the bonus to all players and staff making the trip, but has since reneged against the coaches. Players are boycotting todays game and trip to "take care of the people who take care of us".

Sox threaten to boycott Japan trip - BostonHerald.com

Good for them! This whole thing is a PR farce. Some of those coaches don't make much and already had the money spent.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

On a similar topic, thank goodness Billy Crystal didn't get hurt the other day. At least they limited that fiasco to just one at-bat.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Personally, I would have drilled him. If this is Hank's idea of "restoring order to the universe", he's got a long way to go, starting with restoring the class that is supposed to be omnipresent in his own club. The Yankee players should not have to lower themselves to that kind of BS stunt. What's next, letting Damon grow his beard.? :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks