What's new

2007-2008 MLB Hot Stove (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
He might not speak for the Red Sox fans, but his assertion that it wasn't just MLB at fault here might be correct and that plenty of blame should go around before annoiting sainthood to the Red Sox players.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I saw part of the ESPN broadcast of the Sox/Jays game and during an in-dugout interview with the Jay's manager, he said he and his team fully supported the Sox move. Amazingly (to me) he went so far as to say "that's why the Sox are such a great team. They stick together as a tight unit and are always ready to take care of each other." I may not have that wording exactly right...but it's pretty close and that was the intent.

I'm still unclear about the resolution of the whole thing. Where exactly is the money coming from for the Sox' coaches?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Whatever. I'll file this blog in the same place as the one's about Sox player's being deleted at last minute from the Mitchell Report and the red dye on Schilling's sock. :rolleyes

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Each member of the coaching and off-field staff is getting $20,000 from MLB and $20,000 from the club.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The situation has been confusing from the beginning. Why would it have ever been assumed that the coaches & on-field staff were even due $40k? Where did that figure come from if there wasn't some sort of misunderstanding?

And even if the Sox players aren't "saints" in the effort to get the coaches more money, is there some reason to think they committed some kind of wrong here?

As is often the case, the level of my confusion is enhanced because of the sarcasm that's being thrown around in this discussion.

Jeff: Thanks for that clarification.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They figured correctly until the newness of the stadium wears off and/or the Yankees start sucking again. They have the hammer and they know it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The thing that really strikes me as odd about the new Yankee Stadium is that is a couple thousand seats smaller.

When you are selling out nearly every home game at 55,000+, why shrink the new stadium to 53,000?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the Yankees are selling out nearly every home game; it just seems that way to us Red Sox fans who only see the stadium on TV when they're playing the Sox. Anyway, I'm guessing that the new park will have some areas where five $20 seats have been effectively replaced by one $200 seat (or however luxury boxes translate).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I listen to John Sterling tell me each Yankee home game is a sell-out. And since he's one of the biggest sell-outs there is, he should know. And that is a cheap joke. I didn't mean it. I repent.

But, seriously. Average attendance at the Stadium last year was 52,739. They totaled nearly 4.3-million people through the turnstiles. While I know they will greatly increase ticket revenues with those premium seats and corporate suites and all, it seems as if they could have added some more seats to try and increase the number of fans they can fit in on any given day.

One of the other reasons I was surprised at the reduction in the number of seats is because they say they won't have that black section out past centerfield anymore. You'd think the number of seats would grow.

At the home opener in 1923, the Yanks drew 74,000+ fans and turned many away. That figure always amazes me. There is a terrific Fred Lieb article about that opening day if you can find it anywhere to read. Lieb was the sportswriter who dubbed the current stadium "The House that Ruth Built."

On Lou Gehrig day, July 4, 1939, there were 65,000 in Yankee Stadium. Staggering.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They want 100% capacity and one way to do that is to reduce sitting which induces further demand for less seats. Just about every new stadium opened up lately for baseball has been smaller than the previous stadium due to this tactic. Furthermore, this tactic is being used in new restaurants and movie theaters because they feel excess capacity not sold is a waste of money. Now, football stadiums on the other hand are still large because its easier to sell out 8 games versus 81 games and they have the waiting lists to back that up.

Also, the old Yankee Stadium before the renovation had more seats available including the ones in the black which allow them to draw those big crowds. However, attendance figures in those days for the entire season never came close to approaching the figures they've experienced over the last several years which without a doubt will continue in the new park despite the higher prices.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham

(oh, this is too easy..)

When did the Yankees stop sucking? In order to start again they would have to have stopped...

Go BoSox!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks