What's new

2007-2008 MLB Hot Stove (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

For standing up for the low wage staff getting screwed out of their money? MLB was paying the players, but refused to pay the coaches; so IMHO the players protesting that is quite the opposite of prima donnas. I hope you are kidding Crawdaddy, or else I'm taking back my last comment about Yankee class. :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was kidding, but if you can dish it out then you should be able to take it. For the last several years, Red Sox fans have been making their off-handed comments about the Yankees on this forum. Expect some of that same treatment back.

Crawdaddy

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

That post was sticking up for the Yankee players and critiquing the new direction that Hank is bringing them. In all seriousness, the Yankee organization has more class than this stunt and it shouldn't have been forced on them. I may hate George, but he did maintain the image of the team as one of utter professionalism and class. The Billy Crystal fiasco was neither.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah right. Furthermore, the Billy Crystal thing wasn't a fiasco as it is nothing, but a memory now that will be soon forgotton.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I don't know how you would take this quote. or me mentioning the fact that they should have omnipresent class, as anything but praise, but I guess you did. Please know that I meant it as a compliment to the way they carry themselves and I saw the Billy Crystal thing as a departure from that.

Nothing more . . . honest.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I wasn't going to get involved in something that didn't involve me, but since I was the one who called the Crystal event a fiasco to begin with...I guess I'll respond that I doubt it will be quickly forgotten. And, we can't lose sight of the fact that it also was sanctioned by MLB. Instead of being forgotten, I predict that it will be seen as a precedent-setting event and that celebrities and deep-pocket fans will now be clamoring for similar consideration. Long-time Yankee fan David Letterman was practically salivating at the idea. Without a doubt, it was a bad idea.

While it was fortunate that he didn't get badly hurt, it may turn out unfortunate because the practice may continue until someone does.

And regarding the comment that Red Sox fans have been making off-handed remarks on this forum for the last several years, that is a rather weak generalization that does little to raise the tenor of the discussion. It is little more than an excuse for the "other side" to do the same.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The Crystal thing hardly set a precedent. Wasn't Garth Brooks working out with the Padres for a charity promotion for a few years; I'm sure I've read of others.

Besides, I don't find Billy Crystal spending a couple days in super-fantasy camp during spring training nearly as annoying as Jack Welch as "the voice of the fan" on NESN.

Besides, we all know the most ridiculous thing going on in Spring Training: Nobody has a spot on their team for Barry Bonds? Really? Say what you want to about him personally, but he could probably add three or four wins to the average team. That could be the playoffs for the Padres or Mariners, and it could actually generate some interest in the Rays.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Working out with a team and having at-bats in actual game play are two different things, in my book.

I don't recall exactly, but I think the big deal about Garth Brooks' spring training experience was that he put on a uniform. Maybe he took BP.

And if giving Crystal at-bats didn't set a precedent, but Brooks did, that doesn't make it any better. It is still a very bad idea.

====================================

On another topic, does anyone know if Johnny Pesky is allowed in the Sox' dugout during spring training?

I hadn't heard that he was, but I've seen Yogi Berra in the dugout during every Yankee game this spring. Just curious if Pesky's been seen at Fort Myers.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Robert. I stand corrected.

As I said earlier, whether the precedent was set by Brooks or Crystal...it's a bad idea.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's not necessarily a good idea, but neither is it a bad one. It's inexpensive publicity, probably isn't hurting anybody's development (he took one DH at-bat from Johnny Damon), and it keeps the people it offends from spending more time complaining about, say, the Yankees employing a thug like Shelly Duncan.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Just trying to give an example of what a little stunt like Billy Crystal might have been a welcome distraction from. If it was Garth Brooks with the Padres, it would have been a Padres-related comment. :)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

And a former Sox fan to boot. :crazy:

Seriously folks, I've not seen or heard one complaint from the fans who attended the game, which was delayed approximately 1 hour. Matter of fact, I've only heard positives from fans. Maybe Buster should do a little investigation before assuming to speak for them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jeff,
You do realize that many Yankee fans think Buster Olney hates the Yankees and is no better than Peter Gammons in his bias towards the Red Sox. They view him as an extention of NESN 2 (ESPN).

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

No, I wasn't aware. So I'll retract my bias assumption and stick to my last comments. The game was delayed an hour and no fans I heard interviewed displayed even an inkling of negative comments to the players actions. Nothing but positives all around. So Buster Olney may not be biased, but he's a piss poor commentator/reporter to assume he speaks for Sox fans before actually hearing what the fans think.

Besides, any person who claims to have seen Jeter actually use a boat instead of walking over the water is considered by Yankee fans to be in the tank for the Red Sox (just kidding). :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks