What's new

Missed oppurtunities..popular movies that never made it to DVD (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Louis Letizia /t/322049/missed-oppurtunities-popular-movies-that-never-made-it-to-dvd#post_3946160
Funny how the tv remake with Katherine Hepburn made it first.

Ain't that the truth! And as much as I admire Katharine Hepburn and George Cukor, I do think the Davis version is superior even if it's a bit stagy.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Some others:
Meet the Applegates (1989)
Multiple Maniacs (1970)
Mondo Trash (1969) - Though I understand there are copyright issues with the soundtrack. John Waters' never bothered to get the rights.
Bad (1977) - I know there is a R1 & R2 copies but these appear to be cut video masters.
The Unholly Rollers (1972)
The Crowd (1928) - No doubt will make it's way to through the Archive program sooner or later.
Greed (1924) - See The Crowd
The Wind (1928) - See The Crowd
The Scarlet Letter (1926) - See The Crowd
When You Comin' Back, Red Ryder? (1979)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
That's a perennial in these discussions. It's understood to be missed. :)

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Thomas T said:
Surprised that no one has mentioned DeMille's Samson And Delilah yet.
Over a year ago, a friend who's at Paramount told me that they were working of SAMSON AND DELILAH and that a release was imminent. I'm hopeful we will see it in the fall or in time for the holidays and in a BD version, as well.

donidarko

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Donnie
So sad..... Where are these??????
Looking For Mr. Goodbar (1977)
Ode to Billy Joe (1976)
Only When I laugh (1981)
Night of the Juggler (1980)
Last Summer (1969)
Norman....Is That You? (1976)
The Town that Dreaded Sundown (1977)
Staircase (1969)
Terrorvision (1986)
The House by the Lake (1976)
The People Next Door (1970)
Ruby in Paradise (1993)
Rapa Nui (1994)
Kafka (1991)
I would love to see these released!!!!!

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
LAST SUMMER id probably coming via WA..although I wish this Allied Artist treasure would have gotten a pressed disc release like they are doing for END OF THE ROAD.
ODE TO BILLY JOE was announced....and even had cover art on Amazon...but never materialized. Amazon Instant has this for download.
I'm surprised ONLY WHRN I LAUGH wasn't apart of Columbia's last wave which included
CHAPTER TWO...but I'm sure its destined soon enough.
GOODBARS wait may be a good omen
NIGHT OF THD JUGGLER who has rights....loved this
THE PEOPLE NEXT DOOR is with
Lionsgate....that ends that!
I'm sure MGM will get around to SUNDOWN and HOUSE BY THE LAKE for mod
NORMAN? Resides with WB....one of the few of the 70s films left to release.
Not certain...but isn't RAPA NUI on WA?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill /t/322049/missed-oppurtunities-popular-movies-that-never-made-it-to-dvd#post_3946081
Maybe Region B? I'm not sure if the rights still reside with WB in the US or what their interest might be (negligible, I'd suspect). The theatrical version is available for rental/purchase on Amazon Instant Video in the US.

Will probably wait and see if the director's cut of Until the End of the World (1991) gets a Blu-ray release. Thanks for replying back to my question.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
TCM has aired a letterboxed version of THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN and is scheduled to do so again at 2:15 a.m. ET on Sept. 22.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
In the good old days MGMidnite Movie line would have put out a double feature of THE EVICTORS and THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN..2 period pieces. WITHOUT WARNING and INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN as well. THE HOUSE BY THE LAKE with WINDOWS.JENNIFER with THE RAGE
I would love that line to return...in Bluray

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Here is a few off the top of my head:
92 in the Shade
Come Back to the Five and Dime
Diary of a Mad Housewife
End of the Road
Invasion!
It Conquered the World
Last Summer
Love Streams
Nothing But the Best
Play it as it Lays
Sammy & Rosie Get Laid
Seven Women
That Cold Day in the Park
Tiger Makes Out, The
Trap, the
Unearthly Stranger
Unman, Wittering & Zigo
View From a Bridge
Where Were You When the Lights Went Out

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Good list! Always thought it strange that WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE LIGHTS WENT OUT? Never made thecut Ibm Days boxed sets.
UNMAN is on Amazon Instant.
Lets hope LAST SUMMER makes it to the archives.
END OF THE ROAD is coming in September as a pressed disc release!
Is it a certainty that COME BACK TO 5.....resides with Paramount?

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Bob Cashill said:
The RB Blu of 1492 is welcome but that is a strange case of an MIA disc in R1/A.
1492 has been released on DVD all over the world but the USA, on Blu-ray in France and in September Germany. In the USA it's only release was VHS and Laserdisc back in 1994, a DVD of the film was never released in the USA. In 2004 Paramount announced a DVD release of the film and preorders were taken but it was cancelled and the preorder I had was cancelled, the UPC# issued was 097363274247 but it was never pressed, so none obviously exist.
So yes it is a very strange case of MIA, especially after it was announced for a DVD release and cancelled back in 2004. It's the only Ridley Scott film in the USA that doesn't have a DVD release.
The good news is the film can be imported on DVD and the France Blu-ray looks solid, but it deserves a proper Region 1/Region A release in the USA sometime in the future but I wouldn't count on it. Whoever wants to own the movie will probably have to settle for the hassle of importing the DVD or Blu-ray versions and more than likely you will need a region-free DVD or Blu-ray player. It has been mentioned the German Blu-ray being released in September will be region-free.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Show Boat[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)] (1929 and 1936 versions)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Ah part of the 80th Anniversary George Feltenstein box set in Blu Ray & also DVD version celebrating the landmark Broadway show opening of this pleasant night's entertainment. Never did see that one but I do have hidden away in the vaults George telling all who were listening that is was imminent at the time. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]It would be nice to get an update on this project and where it is at. I do know that more discs for the 1929 Universal original have been found but not all, I guess and know the nitrate of reel one of the 1951 version was lost in the George Eastman fire which was dubbed from a "safety" for previously releases on disc of that one including the prized Laserdisc box set I have. [/COLOR]

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I suppose you could say popular in their day. There's a whole slew of British 40's films (most of them!) that were never released on DVD, we really needed a BFI series, I'll just pick one for now:
Hatter's Castle '42 Robert Newton going insane as only he can!
Three 50's British war movies, first two POW movies:
Albert R.N. '53
Danger Within '59 - This is my favorite POW escape film, it shows up every now & again on the telly, but no DVD. I haven't seen Albert R.N. since the 60's, it may be a lost film.
Steel Bayonet - A 50's Hammer war movie, we've had the other two, Camp On Blood Island & Yesterdays Enemy, but this one is a hold out
The Jokers - A Michael Winner comedy with Olly Reed & Michael Crawford, & thinking about it another one, You Must Be Joking. A very good comedy as I remember, that did the rounds supporting Cat Ballou
The Honkers '72 - A really good rodeo film staring James Coburn.
I'm sure I could put a ton of titles if I thought about it. A DVD of these would be fine, but I'm not really interested in a $30-$35 Blu-ray, which I can't afford right now.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that the absence of "Only When I Laugh" is a mystery. A decent critical and commercial success back in 1981, with three Oscar-nominated performances. The film is available on iTunes and VUDU (standard def only).
"Looking for Mr. Goodbar" was available for streaming on Netflix about a year ago; I don't know if it's still available. Ditto "At Long Last Love" --- not exactly "popular" but well-remembered by some and never available on home video in any format, at least in the US.
I would add to the list the television film "Love Among the Ruins." The only teaming of Katharine Hepburn and Laurence Olivier; directed by George Cukor. Highly acclaimed when it aired on ABC in the mid-1970s and the winner of multiple Emmys.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
YOU MUST BE JOKING! is available from the MGM Limited Edition Collection.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
And, as I always mention in these types of threads:
SPLIT IMAGE (1982) -- Starring Michael O'Keefe, Karen Allen, Peter Fonda, James Woods, Elizabeth Ashley, Brian Dennehy. Still trapped in rights hell, I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks