What's new

Missed oppurtunities..popular movies that never made it to DVD (1 Viewer)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Erik_H said:
Ditto "At Long Last Love" --- not exactly "popular" but well-remembered by some and never available on home video in any format, at least in the US.
quote]

I believe MGM HD, the satellite HD movie channel ran it several times in the last 6 months

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It also played a great deal at Fox Movie Channel over the last holiday season. It was a 4:3 transfer, but it was the rejiggered film with the musical numbers put back in that had been cut for theatrical release. The first two songs in the movie on cable I had never seen before.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
"At Long Last Love" was a Fox release. MGM HD shows MGM or UA releases. I check out the offerings on that channel regularly, and I don't recall seeing "At Long Last Love." If the condition of the transfer used for Netflix was any indication, "At Long Last Love" is not ready for distribution in HD yet. That could change, though. Within the last year, Peter Bogdonavich was interviewed about the film and mentioned a possible home video release.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
AT LONG LAST LOVE needs a good restoration. Hopefully we will get a delude version of this very misinterpreted film. Sadly the amazing Madeline Mayne and the underrated Duilio Del Pretend are no longer with us...they added a lot to the quartet.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Louis Letizia /t/322049/missed-oppurtunities-popular-movies-that-never-made-it-to-dvd/30#post_3948558
AT LONG LAST LOVE needs a good restoration. Hopefully we will get a delude version of this very misinterpreted film. Sadly the amazing Madeline Mayne and the underrated Duilio Del Pretend are no longer with us...they added a lot to the quartet.

They were my favorites of the four stars. John Hillerman and Eileen Brennan, of course, stole the show whenever they were on screen.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Hawks (1988) is one of those films I've been meaning to see, which has been shown on TV every few years and I've never seen it, despite being a fan of Timothy Dalton's Bond. Think it may have been filmed between The Living Daylights and Licence to Kill, although I'm not sure. Didn't know Barry Gibb did the soundtrack.

donidarko

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Donnie
Louis Letizia said:
LAST SUMMER id probably coming via WA..although I wish this Allied Artist treasure would have gotten a pressed disc release like they are doing for END OF THE ROAD.
ODE TO BILLY JOE was announced....and even had cover art on Amazon...but never materialized. Amazon Instant has this for download.
I'm surprised ONLY WHRN I LAUGH wasn't apart of Columbia's last wave which included
CHAPTER TWO...but I'm sure its destined soon enough.
GOODBARS wait may be a good omen
NIGHT OF THD JUGGLER who has rights....loved this
THE PEOPLE NEXT DOOR is with
Lionsgate....that ends that!
I'm sure MGM will get around to SUNDOWN and HOUSE BY THE LAKE for mod
NORMAN? Resides with WB....one of the few of the 70s films left to release.
Not certain...but isn't RAPA NUI on WA?
Thanks for the update Louis. You certainly know your stuff!!! I forgot to mention good ole' 'LITTLE DARLINGS" and "HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEMINI" (loved Madeline Kahn and Rita Moreno in that one.)
and are we really going to see a "TWILIGHTS LAST GLEAMING"?

DevinTretiak

Auditioning
Real Name
Devin Tretiak
Willard / Ben - Have no idea why Paramount has not released these two films. There was a remake with Crispin Glover that was made a few years back. Ben has the big Michael Jackson song on the soundtrack. You think these would have it to DVD.
Love with the Proper Stranger - Great Robert Mulligan film. Has high profile cast with Steve McQueen and Natalie Wood. Another Paramount title that baffles me as to why it's never been released.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Maybe the song rights havr something to do with it. Rxcept for the WALKING TALL trilogy...thete arr no Bing Crosby Produ tions films on dis . Anxiously awaiting THE REINCARNATION OF PETER PROUD and MEAN DOG BLUES.
So true about PROPER STRANGER...so ahead of iys time and Natslie Wood got and Oscar nod

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Walter Kittel said:
Not sure about the popularity of these titles but I have viewed them and liked them. :)
Just a few titles that make my perennial waiting list. Not sure if any of these are available outside of Region 1.
The Keep - directed by Michael Mann. I saw this theatrically. Given the cast and crew somewhat surprised this hasn't shown up on DVD.
Until the End of the World - directed by Wim Wenders. I still can't believe this isn't available. I need to dig out the LaserDisc and view this again.
The Reflecting Skin - Not sure what to say about this one, very strange with a young Viggo Mortensen.
8 Million Ways to Die - Hal Ashby's final film with Jeff Bridges and Rosanna Arquette.
84 Charlie Mopic - gritty documentary style drama set in the Vietnam War. Low budget film that is very effective.
Kafka - early Steven Soderbergh film.
King of the Hill - another early Steven Soderbergh film.
The Addiction - directed by Abel Ferrara with Lily Taylor and Christopher Walken.
At Play in the Fields of the Lord - directed by Hector Babenco with John Lithgow, Tom Berenger, and Daryl Hanna
Edit: Oh yeah, just remembered another Scott Glenn film (discussed recently on the HTF)
The Challenge - directed by John Frankenheimer starring Scott Glenn and Toshiro Mifune. A superior action drama about an outsider caught in the middle of a feud. Haven't seen this in ages (maybe since a theatrical viewing) and would really like to revisit this one.
- Walter.
Purchased King of the Hill from Amazon.uk but is in a region 2 PAL dvd but if you have a all region dvd player the print used in the dvd is very good and better than the laserdisc release which i also have.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
atcolomb said:
Purchased King of the Hill from Amazon.uk but is in a region 2 PAL dvd but if you have a all region dvd player the print used in the dvd is very good and better than the laserdisc release which i also have.
Is it anamorphic?

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I know these aren't necessarily popular titles, but Timothy Carey was a well known character actor in many popular movies. Now, we need more Tim Carey oddities (aren't they all, though?), especially BAYOU (aka POOR WHITE TRASH). Word is Romeo Carey might finally be putting together an official release for THE WORLD'S GREATEST SINNER too. Prepare to have your minds blown:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Here is my list of missing movies:
1) Napoleon (1927) Abel Gance
2) The 4 Clowns (1970) Robert Youngson
3) The Crazy Quilt (1966) John Korty
4) Let It Be (1970) Michael Lindsay-Hogg ....many bootleg dvd's for sale.
5) Chimes At Midnight (1966) Orson Welles ...in a region 1 release.
6) The Immortal Story (1968) Orson Welles ...in a region 1 release.
7) Uforia (1980) John Binder

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Here is my list of missing movies:
1) Napoleon (1927) Abel Gance
2) The 4 Clowns (1970) Robert Youngson
3) The Crazy Quilt (1966) John Korty
4) Let It Be (1970) Michael Lindsay-Hogg ....many bootleg dvd's for sale.
5) Chimes At Midnight (1966) Orson Welles ...in a region 1 release.
6) The Immortal Story (1968) Orson Welles ...in a region 1 release.
7) Uforia (1980) John Binder

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Excellent list. I dug out my Magnetic LET IT BE tape just yesterday...after watching the YELLOW SUBMARINE Blu(meany!).It was the original behind the scenes realiry show...it needs a bigger audience

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Here is a article on Let It Be i found on a website which is interesting...
The film was released on VHS video, RCA SelectaVision videodisc and laserdisc in the early 1980s, but became out of print within a few years. The transfer to video was not considered high quality; in particular, the already-cropped theatrical version was again cropped to a 4:3 aspect ratio for television (see pan and scan). The lack of availability has prompted considerable bootlegging of the film, first on VHS and later on DVD, derived from copies of the early 1980s releases.
The movie was remastered from the original 16 mm film negative by Apple in 1992, with a few of those scenes used in The Beatles Anthology documentary. After additional remastering, a DVD release was planned to accompany the 2003 release of Let It Be... Naked, including a second DVD of bonus material,[17] but it never materialised. In February 2007, Apple Corps' Neil Aspinall said, "The film was so controversial when it first came out. When we got halfway through restoring it, we looked at the outtakes and realised: this stuff is still controversial. It raised a lot of old issues."[1]
An anonymous industry source told the Daily Express in July 2008 that, according to Apple insiders, McCartney and Starr blocked the release of the film on DVD. The two were concerned about the effect on the band's "global brand ... if the public sees the darker side of the story. Neither Paul nor Ringo would feel comfortable publicising a film showing The Beatles getting on each other's nerves ... There’s all sorts of extra footage showing more squabbles but it’s unlikely it will ever see the light of day in Paul and Ringo’s lifetime.”

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The Mr. Bongo (R2) version of CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT is commendable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks