What's new

MGM classic films get video-on-demand release (2 Viewers)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Just a quick FYI for those with cable: Most, if not all, of these titles have aired on MGM-HD, which is being picked up by more and more cable carriers (I had it in Chicago well over a year ago and, after a brief hiatus, I now have in my new home in NJ). I have a feeling that you can continue to look to MGM-HD to see what else will follow on the MOD side. I have a DVR and a DVD recorder and have made nice enough DVD-Rs, from MGM-HD, of CHILLY SCENES OF WINTER, BETWEEN THE LINES, THE GROUP, VALENTINO, THE WHITE BUS, HARRY IN YOUR POCKET, HICKEY AND BOGGS, CONVOY, and several others between 2008 and 2009. As with the Warner Archive, the MGM MODs may look marginally better than my home-recorded versions, but not $20 better. In the same fashion, Fox Movie Channel, the various Encore channels, TCM, Flix, and Mojo have provided me with lots of not-on-DVD rarities.

AlanBrom

Second Unit
MGM HD has also shown the likes of TWINS OF EVIL, VAMPIRE CIRCUS, DR. GOLDFOOT AND THE GIRL BOMBS, GRAVE OF THE VAMPIRE, THE VIDEO DEAD and other Midnite Movies type titles. I really hope though they license some of these titles rather than do the MOD route on them.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Originally Posted by AlanBrom

I really hope though they license some of these titles rather than do the MOD route on them.
Don't we all! I had long dreamed of a DVD edition of CHILLY SCENES OF WINTER that had some effort put into it--it's one of my favorites and really a hidden gem. Maybe, with the word that Criterion has licensed 12 titles from MGM, some of these worthy films will be rescued from this MOD scrap heap.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg

Maybe, with the word that Criterion has licensed 12 titles from MGM, some of these worthy films will be rescued from this MOD scrap heap.

I hadn't heard about this. Do you know the 12 titles?

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
No, there is a discussion on the criterionforum, though. SOMETHING WILD (86) is rumored to be one of the titles.

Originally Posted by JeffMc

I hadn't heard about this. Do you know the 12 titles?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I suspect the majority of those MGM owned properties licensed by Criterion will "special editions" of titles that have already seen at least one DVD release. Do I detect yet another SILENCE OF THE LAMBS Criterion release in the near future?

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Originally Posted by Thomas T

I suspect the majority of those MGM owned properties licensed by Criterion will "special editions" of titles that have already seen at least one DVD release. Do I detect yet another SILENCE OF THE LAMBS Criterion release in the near future?
I don't know why they'd tend to fall into this "previously released on DVD" category as you suggest, Thomas. There's already a perfectly serviceable SILENCE OF THE LAMBS Blu-ray. This is actually one of MGM's big ticket titles, which is probably the main reason Criterion lost their license to begin with--don't know why MGM would sub-license it to Criterion again. It makes more sense that we will see lower-profile titles than SotL via Criterion-MGM.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I pre-ordered BETWEEN THE LINES in early December, but have yet to see it arrive. Has anyone received a copy of it?

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by ahollis

I received four of the titles today. It appears that TWO FOR THE SEESAW and THE GROUP while they are presented in proper OAR, they are not anamorphic.
That's lame. My Region 2 U.K. copy of Two for the Seesaw is anamorphic.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Well, Jon, the first of the MGM titles licensed to Criterion was announced today and, as I suspected, it already has a DVD release. It's Sidney Lumet's THE FUGITIVE KIND. I hope I'm wrong but I suspect most if not all of them will not be 'new to DVD' titles.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I bet one of the "Criterion 12" will be NIGHT OF THE HUNTER. Remember the announcement of the restored Special Edition DVD that MGM was going to release over a year ago, that was subsequently cancelled/postponed? Also, it's something Criterion released on laserdisc back in the day.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
You've proven very prescient thus far, Thomas T. If the "not new to DVD" titles that Criterion handles are re-do's of DVDs that had inferior transfers or minimal extra features, such as THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER and THE FUGITIVE KIND, I don't think that's a bad thing. The example you gave, of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, would be an extraneous release in my eyes since it's already been released in a quality, feature-filled edition. All that said, I hope that Criterion will actually license a few worthy titles that have had no DVD release whatsoever.

Originally Posted by Thomas T

Well, Jon, the first of the MGM titles licensed to Criterion was announced today and, as I suspected, it already has a DVD release. It's Sidney Lumet's THE FUGITIVE KIND. I hope I'm wrong but I suspect most if not all of them will not be 'new to DVD' titles.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'll be double dipping on THE FUGITIVE KIND but only because I want the 3 PLAYS BY TENNESSEE WILLIAMS (1958) with Ben Gazzara, Lee Grant, Zina Bethune and Thomas Chalmers that are part of the special features. Otherwise, I would have passed.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
A nice compilation of confirmed and rumored titles that Criterion has licensed from MGM. Some rumored titles have been hinted at stronger on Criterion's Facebook page than others. I've made those [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]red[/COLOR]. List comes via http://criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10102

"Currently available at Criterion.com"
House of Games
Salo
The Fugitive Kind

"In production but no release date set"
The French Lieutenant's Woman
Pasolini's Trilogy of Life

"Nothing is certain at this time"
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]The Black Stallion[/COLOR]
Burn!
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Cul-de-sac[/COLOR]
Kes
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]The Killing[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Kiss Me Deadly[/COLOR]
Love Streams
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Night of the Hunter[/COLOR]
Park Row
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Paths of Glory[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Red River[/COLOR]
Satyricon
Something Wild
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Sweet Smell of Success[/COLOR]

greylocke5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard G.
If I recall correctly, during his acceptance speech for his honorary award at the Golden Globes Martin Scorsese mentioned that Paths of Glory was being restored using Hollywood Foreign Press funding. He mentioned another film, too, but I can't remember what it was.

So I would definitely expect a new release of Paths of Glory.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Amazon informed me that BETWEEN THE LINES has an estimated arrival date of Feb. 3 (yes, this year).

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Thanks Bob, I just received the same email from Amazon. Hope it shows up!

I second the nomination for CHILLY SCENES OF WINTER. I would prefer to have both versions of the film, or at least have the "happy" ending from the alternate release version (as HEAD OVER HEELS) provided via seamles branching.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
My BETWEEN THE LINES showed up today. I scanned through it: 16:9-anamorphic, acceptably grainy (in spots), otherwise clean. No menu and completely barebones; MGM has the most faceless packaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks