What's new

MGM classic films get video-on-demand release (1 Viewer)

Dale_Naeseth

Auditioning
Real Name
Dale Naeseth
I am not sure if I missed a thread but read this in Video Business. Anyone know more about this?

NOV. 11 | DIGITAL:
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios is joining with Warner Bros. Digital Distribution to release some of Hollywood’s most notable films across video-on-demand and digital platforms in a joint campaign marking MGM’s 85th anniversary. Films will be available Nov. 17 through Xbox Live and PlayStation Store, Amazon Video On Demand and iTunes, as well as through cable and satellite VOD. MGM’s legendary catalog, which includes The Wizard of Oz, Singin’ In the Rain, North By Northwest, Gone With the Wind and more recent releases Legally Blonde, Moonstruck and Hannibal, is split between Warner and MGM. The promotion will temporarily reunite the studios’ libraries and make many films available on VOD and digital platforms for the first time. “Today we catapult our historic film library into a new era,” MGM executive VP of North American Television Distribution Joe Patrick said in a statement announcing the deal.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
so this is apparently the future of the format... full price barebones catalog release in a generic box with the studio logo. I'm so thankful for some of the truly rare and special films released over the past few years. I'm not necessarily complaining; I guess the times they are a changin'...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
But I'm still putting more weight into my hunch that it's the studios pushing their BR agendas in order to further phase out SDVD for a singular home video format than the economic state alone. I just don't buy that. This sure is a bread winner for them!

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Ok this is what I came up with on Amazon as far as titles for this MGM program:

Return to Paradise (as mentioned above)
Trapeze
Welcome to Woop Woop
A Fish in The Bathtub
Dreamchild
Far North
Late For Dinner
The Group
Poltergeist - Season 2
Between the Lines
Rich In Love
Jeremiah - Season 2
Chains of Gold
Two for the Seesaw

All you do is type in or MGM DVDR when you search and they come up. I've very excited about Late For Dinner, that was on my want list :).

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I think that the MGM/WB co-promotion is a separate deal from MGM's DVD-R program with Amazon. The former seems to be focused on VOD, getting people to watch streaming video or download films, and to sell the idea of MGM as a complete studio, while the latter is selling catalog product from the MGM library (which apparently now includes titles owned by Joan Micklin Silver - wonder if HESTER STREET will pop up in there?).

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
On a related note, Silver's BETWEEN THE LINES and CHILLY SCENES OF WINTER have both aired on MGM-HD in the past.

Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck

I think that the MGM/WB co-promotion is a separate deal from MGM's DVD-R program with Amazon. The former seems to be focused on VOD, getting people to watch streaming video or download films, and to sell the idea of MGM as a complete studio, while the latter is selling catalog product from the MGM library (which apparently now includes titles owned by Joan Micklin Silver - wonder if HESTER STREET will pop up in there?).

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Two for the Seesaw and Trapeze have both been released in the UK by MGM. I own both so I am glad I got them on regular pressed DVDs.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Sad to see another studio go this way. Looks like they'll be copying Warner with the price. Time will tell if they're copying the quality too. Warner did set many ugly precedents.

Brian Saur

Agent
Real Name
Brian Saur
Have you considered buying the Hester Street dvd that Home Vision put out several years ago? Great little film.
http://www.amazon.com/Hester-Street-Carol-Kane/dp/B00065GVIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1259888648&sr=1-1

Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck

SamSpade

Auditioning
Real Name
Bruce
Is Amazon already burning DVD-Rs for the MGM titles? I ordered Between The Lines and it still says "pre-order".

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Between the Lines is a wonderful film about the newspaper business and features one of those quirky Jeff Goldbum performances we all know and love. Glad to see it on the schedule. But... is the pending doom of MGM going go nix this program, which, if allowed to continue, might finally give us the missing Midnight Movies we've been begging for for years?

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I noticed that House of Dark Shadows has now gone the video on demand route. I had always hoped that it would get a decent release, but I guess it won't happen now. I'll just wait until they show it on TCM again, because it probably won't look any better on the DVD-R they are selling.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Where did you see this re: HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS? It's not on Amazon that I could find.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill

Where did you see this re: HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS? It's not on Amazon that I could find.
Warner Brothers owns the rights to both Dark Shadows films. If it does go the MOD route, then it would be through the Warner Archive program not the MGM/Amazon MOD. At the present it is not listed on the WA site.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Go to amazon.com and search House of dark shadows under all departments. It should be the 10th item listed (don't ask me why) under video on demand for $9.99.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Does anyone know when more titles will be announced for this program? TRAPEZE and THE
GROUP just arrived, and they appear to be good copies, altho I've only had time to check out
the first few minutes of each. By the way, on the box for THE GROUP it says "full screen",
but at least the beginning appears to be a moderate widescreen. Does anyone know how it
was released? (DREAMCHILD is on order, and should arrive in January. That one title alone
completely made my day!!)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
My copy of Dreamchild has shipped. I might be out of town when it arrives, but I'll be sure to give my impressions when I get a chance to watch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks