What's new

MGM classic films get video-on-demand release (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
In a statement: “MGM said today its lenders agreed to extend the forbearance period and therefore will not seek remedies in connection with the nonpayment of interest and principal due on the company’s bank debt, including the revolving credit facility, until July 14, 2010. The lenders took this action in support of the Company’s ongoing efforts to evaluate long-term strategic alternatives to maximize value for its stakeholders. MGM appreciates the continued support of its lender group for the process it is undertaking.”

Holer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joel
So the MGM disks suck-ola? I was going to buy Resurrection for my mom. Is it best to not go there?

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
I mistakenly spoke about Warner forgetting this was a thread about the MGM MOD program. However, the argument I put forward is exactly the same - I wasn;t complaining about the Warner Archive specifically (nor complaining at all really). These MOD programs are all driven by the same underlying idea - the same applies to the MGM stuff as it does to the Warner Archive.

At least the MGM stuff is sourced via Amazon which make sit more accesible, espescially to non-US buyers.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
RESURRECTION is a Universal title, anamorphic widescreen (1.85:1), that plays fine for me. Your mom has good taste; lovely film.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
Pressed discs aren't gonna happen on these budgets...

As I cite, and as Nebiroth translates, this is due precisely to a lack of priority. The costs of producing 300 pressed copies of each Archive title are more likely cheaper than burning each title multiple times per customer to finally create a satisfactory disc.

As things stand, I'd rather stream or download these movies. If the movies crap out, at least my home isn't cluttered.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill

RESURRECTION is a Universal title, anamorphic widescreen (1.85:1), that plays fine for me. Your mom has good taste; lovely film.

I agree. It's a good transfer of a very excellent movie.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by Traveling Matt

I'm sure that streaming will be the future and sold on a subscription basis, probably per the Netflix paradigm, but until then I find it neither financially nor aesthetically desirable to invest in any MOD program.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Originally Posted by Point-Blank

How do you make anamorphic recordings? Everything is letterboxed in a 4:3 window if I use my cable box's s-video output and my DVD recorder doesn't have component inputs - I don't think any of them do.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Nick, my DVD recorder has a setting for recording in 16x9 and the output from my U-Verse receiver at 1080i puts out a 16x9 signal for the HD channels when they show something that is widescreen. I use a S-Video so can only get 2.0 sound, but the recordings are anamorphic.

I'm not much of a technobabble dude, so not sure how else to explain it or even if I've explained it correctly, but that's how it works for me.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
You're right, which is another reason why cable sucks. You can record things in anamorphic widescreen on the Dish Network HD receivers as well, even from a non-HD channel if you have the format set to what you want on the remote.

Originally Posted by Worth Everything is letterboxed in a 4:3 window if I use my cable box's s-video output and my DVD recorder doesn't have component inputs - I don't think any of them do.

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean

Nick, my DVD recorder has a setting for recording in 16x9 and the output from my U-Verse receiver at 1080i puts out a 16x9 signal for the HD channels when they show something that is widescreen. I use a S-Video so can only get 2.0 sound, but the recordings are anamorphic.

I'm not much of a technobabble dude, so not sure how else to explain it or even if I've explained it correctly, but that's how it works for me.

I'm curious- what DVD recorder are you using that allows 16;9 anamorphic recording ?

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Quote:

Sean, it's an old Toshiba DR-4-SU. Don't all DVD recorders offer that option. ???

I believe they do. They automatically recognize the flagging on the source so that it will be recorded anamorphically, but appear letterboxed on a 4x3 tv provided the DVD player is set to the proper setting. Cable boxes only output a 4x3 letterboxed image via the composite cables for a DVD recorder, so you will never be able to record anamorphically from a cable box on any channels, HD or not. Now, Dish Network's HD receivers allow one to record anamorphically, but the flags are not a part of the signal so the resulting DVD will appear squeezed on a 4x3 TV. Apparently, UVerse's equipment outputs the flagging over the composite outputs that the DVD recorder can recognize as 16x9 material. When I use my iPod to play movies I got from iTunes and record them, my DVD recorder recognizes the flags on that material and it is full 16x9 on 16x9 tv with DVD?Blu player set to 16x9, and then 4x3 letterbox on a 4x3 tv with the player set for that setting as well.

Give up if you have cable. You won't be able to do any of this with their receivers. Sorry.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Received a new copy of THE BEST MAN. It does play through the whole movie with out ending at the 45minute mark. It is non-anamorphic but wide screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks