What's new

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Yes, a few of those exist in horrible anaglyphic versions but were photographed or released in dual-35mm polarized 3-D.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Great news on forthcoming 3-D!

Anyone want to guess what the 1953 3-D short is? The following are from 3D Film Archive list of shorts that are lost.

A Cocktail at Sloppy Joe's
Acrobatiks
American Beauties
American Life
Bowery Scandals
Carmenesque
Caribbean Nights
Chicago Cubs vs. Milwaukee Braves
Cleopatra Follies
College Capers
Elementals, the
Foodini in Four Dimensions
Fun in the Sun
Holsum Bread commercials
I Was a Burlesque Queen
Indian Summer
Packaging – the Third Dimension
Parisienne Life aka Paris Life
Persian Slave Market
Polly Wolly Doodle
Sears training film
Sunday in Stereo

I want it to be either Acrobatiks or Fun in the Sun. A William Cameron Menzies film in 2-D is still interesting and a worthy find.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I would absolutely love for it to be the missing side for The Telltale Heart, although I realize that is the very remotest of possibilities and would be a major find. When I watch that film I find it very hard to conceive how they would have implemented the 3-D, so I'm intrigued about the possibilities. I liked the abstract animation on 3-D Rarities, it would be impossible to appreciate what you're missing if that were only available in 2d.

Bandit Island would be a nice find. I love the poster; a real classic sales pitch for 3-D thrills. One probably shouldn't have high expectations for a 4-day effort from a first-time director; but I just look at that poster and think "how can you go wrong?".

The Foodini puppet short also seems like something I'd like.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Standby for an exciting announcement tomorrow...

glasses (4).jpg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I would absolutely love for it to be the missing side for The Telltale Heart, although I realize that is the very remotest of possibilities and would be a major find. When I watch that film I find it very hard to conceive how they would have implemented the 3-D, so I'm intrigued about the possibilities. I liked the abstract animation on 3-D Rarities, it would be impossible to appreciate what you're missing if that were only available in 2d.

Bandit Island would be a nice find. I love the poster; a real classic sales pitch for 3-D thrills. One probably shouldn't have high expectations for a 4-day effort from a first-time director; but I just look at that poster and think "how can you go wrong?".

The Foodini puppet short also seems like something I'd like.

Isn't there a dispute about TELLTALE HEART suggesting it was designed for, but never actually filmed in, 3D?

Kiwitutor

Agent
Real Name
Peter
I love that photo Bob and would love to know what film it was they were watching. Their faces show a mixture of shock, horror and amusement. And that kid nearest the camera...he must have lost his specs!

Kiwitutor

Agent
Real Name
Peter
Thanks Bob. It must be 'Bwana Devil'. Looks to me like the youngsters are a bit frightened (as are some of the adult patrons!). Maybe a ferocious jumping lion has appeared in their laps!

GregK

Screenwriter
I love that photo Bob and would love to know what film it was they were watching. Their faces show a mixture of shock, horror and amusement. And that kid nearest the camera...he must have lost his specs!

The shock of 3-Dimensions must have been too much for the kid.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Isn't there a dispute about TELLTALE HEART suggesting it was designed for, but never actually filmed in, 3D?

I do find the evidence for a 3-D version credible, but who can say at this point. I would love for it to turn up, however unlikely that would be.

The photo is dated February 7, 1953 so it's one of these titles:

Bwana Devil with the M.L. Gunzberg prologue (on 3-D Raritites)

Stereo Techniques (five shorts)

You've posted pictures before of the special Bwana Devil glasses, and the ones being worn in the picture look to be different. Although perhaps those weren't available at all screenings.

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
Robert Hayes' book on 3-D films states that THE TELL-TALE HEART was "Presented in Nord 3-D (single strip side-by-side vertical 1.66:1)" as well as in the regular dual-film format. Is that even remotely possible? Certainly, if one of those odd prints survived it would be proof positive that the film was in 3-D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks