What's new

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Also, specifically with Dial M For Murder, there is a haloing effect around people and objects that is a result of limitations of the color film stock from the film was made. This is often mistaken for ghosting, but that's not actually what it is. This is a problem inherent to the film stock and cannot be fixed, and is not a problem with the disc itself or transfer.

Halo example:
6797_5_1080p.jpg

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
And it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the huge amount of complaints ("it's defective") in 2011 directed at Paramount for the 3-D Blu-ray of HUGO (high parallax budget = ghosting on some displays) made them shy away from HONDO in 2012 and not even consider FRIDAY THE !3th 3D.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
And it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the huge amount of complaints ("it's defective") in 2011 directed at Paramount for the 3-D Blu-ray of HUGO (high parallax budget = ghosting on some displays) made them shy away from HONDO in 2012 and not even consider FRIDAY THE !3th 3D.

That explains why I had to settle for an anaglyph (:() BD of Friday the 13th Part 3. I sure hope Paramount is reconsidering in both cases....

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
How do myths begin? We've often wondered why so many people have believed the original INVADERS FROM MARS was filmed in 3-D. The matter has been extensively researched and production documents have been examined. Menzies and Alperson could have used the Natural Vision camera as it was available at the time of principal photography in September 1952 but nowhere in the pre-production for the film is 3-D lensing even mentioned. The film is photographed with layers but that was Menzies' visual style with composition. Look at his other films and you'll see that technique used over and over again. As an example, check out this frame from an original 1953 Supercinecolor release print.

We've finally discovered the source of this long-standing myth: the May 21, 1986 Variety review by "Lor" of the remake. Not only is it mentioned in the text, they actually modified the original 1953 review to support their bogus claim. Why would they do such a thing? Shocking!

See more 3-D Myths busted on this page of our website: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/top-10-3-d-myths

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
UPDATE: The myth dates back to the book "Science-Fiction in the Cinema" published in 1970.

According to Tom Weaver, "Baxter's book says INVADERS FROM MARS (1954) was "in 3-D and colour"; that the limited supply of 3-D military stock footage made it necessary to re-use the same few shots over and over until it became "ludicrous"; and that INVADERS has pretty much dropped from sight now that it has been remade by W. Lee Wilder."

Baxter also claims the film premiered in the UK in 3-D when first released.

Don't confuse me with the facts!

Last edited:

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
Baxter's book was one of the first film books I ever purchased. I haven't read any of it in a few decades, but I'm sure my copy is still in storage somewhere.

And what film by W. Lee Wilder did Baxter think was a remake of INVADERS FROM MARS?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I don't know but just like the R.M. Hayes 3-D movie book, it's a classic example of an author fabricating "facts" to support a bogus claim.

Sigh...

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
The titles of the 53' version look like 3-D titles. Maybe that is why.

Everything about the movie suggests it was designed with 3D in mind. Just look at Menzies' compositions -- especially the shot of Bob Shayne above. Yes, these were a hallmark of Menzies' style, but still.... think how great this would have looked in 3D....

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Maltin admitted at the first 3-D Expo in 2003 that after seeing many of the films for the first time as they were meant to be seen, he was wrong on many of his reviews.

For instance, his book calls SEPTEMBER STORM a bomb.

I rest my case.

You needn't present a case for a Golden/Silver-Age 3D title to me, Bob...it's an instant purchase. I'm even getting APE. And Maltin's editors should revise some of those blurbs, but unfortunately he has released his final edition of the annual. Perhaps a future edition of the CLASSIC MOVIE GUIDE could reflect his modified attitude,

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Next Friday, the new restoration of Those Redheads From Seattle (1953) will be shown in 3-D at the TCL Chinese Multiplex House 6 at 9:45PM PST in Hollywood, CA as part of the TCM Film Festival. Bob and Greg will be there.

I watched Gog at the Chinese Multiplex last year and had a great time. I'm looking forward to enjoying Redheads too.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Next Friday, the new restoration of Those Redheads From Seattle (1953) will be shown in 3-D at the TCL Chinese Multiplex House 6 at 9:45PM PST in Hollywood, CA as part of the TCM Film Festival. Bob and Greg will be there.

I watched Gog at the Chinese Multiplex last year and had a great time. I'm looking forward to enjoying Redheads too.

Hey, Maybe TCM HD channel could start broadcasting 3-D titles in 3-D! That would be cool! But it will never happen. Too many people would complain they only want to see it in 2-D. Of course, they could broadcast them twice. One in 3-D, the next in 2-D. Or have one night a month where 3-D titles would be broadcast in 3-D. Extra income for Bob and Greg!

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Hey, Maybe TCM HD channel could start broadcasting 3-D titles in 3-D! That would be cool! But it will never happen. Too many people would complain they only want to see it in 2-D. Of course, they could broadcast them twice. One in 3-D, the next in 2-D. Or have one night a month where 3-D titles would be broadcast in 3-D. Extra income for Bob and Greg!

They could try making 3D films available via their on-demand channel, like HBO has been doing (albeit less so lately). But don't hold your breath given the trends. We need more 3D BDs; that seems to be the only way we're going to get these titles.

On that note, I just got my BD of September Storm, and it's stunning. Another fine job by Bob and his colleagues.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
They could try making 3D films available via their on-demand channel, like HBO has been doing (albeit less so lately). But don't hold your breath given the trends. We need more 3D BDs; that seems to be the only way we're going to get these titles.

On that note, I just got my BD of September Storm, and it's stunning. Another fine job by Bob and his colleagues.

HBO and Starz stopped on demand titles in 3D last year.

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP

You have to remember while polarized 3D is not possible on standard HDTVs, there is a chance there may be some company out there that can convert polarized 3D to broadcast complaint anaglyph (red/cyan) 3D. Certain external blu ray players and even the 3D Video Wizard device (any of you heard of it?) has software that can do just that.

I do have an external player on my computer, and even though it cannot play polarized 3D, I do have software that converts to red/cyan and my 3D blu rays can play 3D just fine. I played "Fantastic Beasts" on my PC in 3D (with my glasses of course) and the effects come in clear as a bell.

That being said, there is also the issue of at least cardboard 3D red/cyan glasses (remember those syndicated 3D broadcasts of "The Mask" and "Revenge of the Creature" from the '80s? I do.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks