What's new

Disney+ Marvel's What If? (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'd have to believe they would do the same here.
I think that they still default to midnight PT unless we specifically hear otherwise.

Given that they're burning these episodes off over a nine-day period, I don't think they consider this to be as big of a deal as those tentpole shows and might leave it at midnight. Especially around the holidays, lots of people have other things to do and won't necessarily make time for appointment viewing anyway.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Given that they're burning these episodes off over a nine-day period, I don't think they consider this to be as big of a deal as those tentpole shows and might leave it at midnight. Especially around the holidays, lots of people have other things to do and won't necessarily make time for appointment viewing anyway.
Maybe, but people were saying the same thing about Echo not being up to Marvel standards, and the reviews of it have been very good.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
people were saying the same thing about Echo not being up to Marvel standards
I didn't mean to imply any judgment on the quality of the episodes. I just meant that moving the drop time to 9pm is to encourage appointment viewing. I don't think they're looking at that with a 9-day release schedule during the holiday period. It could be good, or not. But I think it is more likely to stay at midnight.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I swear there was mention of a Spider-man episide coming in this series

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The new season started last night, and I enjoyed it very much. It was such a tribute to Blade Runner that I thought I was watching some long-lost footage from that movie. The animation was beautiful. I’m looking forward to the rest of the season.

Update: Second episode also great. And an all-star cast!

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Update: Second episode also great. And an all-star cast!

I've only seen the first two episodes so far. My wife and I were impressed by how many of the MCU cast they've gotten to continue doing the voices. One interesting "recast", though, was that, in the second episode, T'Chaka was voiced by Atandwa Kani, son of John Kani, who played T'Chaka in Civil War and Black Panther. Keepin' it in the family. And the voice actor they got for Wendy Lawson, Keri Tombazian, sounded enough like Annette Bening, that I was fooled.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My wife and I caught up this evening. Eps 3 and 4 were amusing, but minor episodes. I think I might've liked 3 better if Justin Hammer wasn't the bad guy. Nothing against Sam Rockwell, but I disliked the character in Iron Man 2, and again here. Darcy was the highlight (especially with her musical contribution to the end titles).

Ep 5 was terrific. It would've made a kick-ass live-action movie, if not for the fact that it was essentially a mash-up of The Winter Soldier and Black Widow. But the action sequences were animated extremely well. It looks like the ending will lead into the 1602 episode (tomorrow's). It would be my favorite episode so far (including all of Season 1) if not for ep 6. For that one, I loved the fact that they not only spoke Mohawk (with subtitles), but Spanish, as well, for the Conquistadors.

Ep 7 was another mash-up, this time of Ragnarok and Shang-Chi. Well done, but especially in giving us more of Cate Blanchett's droll Hela performance. I can't help but think, though, that it would've been nice if Michelle Yeoh voiced Jaiyi (yes, I know it's not the same character she played in Shang-Chi; sue me).

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Good finale. I love the new character of Kahhori. I'm hoping she joins the live action MCU at some point.

Captain Carter has featured prominently in both seasons. She's already crossed over in Multiverse of Madness. Are the creators trying to tell us something (eg. for Secret Wars)?

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Kahhori is a good character but she does suffer from the too powerful/vaguely defined powers syndrome. Seems like nothing really hurts her and she can just pull out whatever / whenever she needs it, so it tends to lower the stakes for her a lot.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Two things regarding the Watcher...

(1) Every time in the intro, he says, "I am the Watcher..." followed by a pause, at which point I'm waiting for him to say, "...and I like to watch."

(2) Old comics joke proposing an inter-company crossover.
Question: "Who Watches the Watchmen?"
Answer: "The Watcher Watches the Watchmen."

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve started watching S1. I watch all the anthologies I have time for, because I like the format a lot. And three episodes into What/If, this is an adequate anthology but nothing amazing yet. The first two were just “what if this character were some other character”. I liked the Agent Carter / Captain America because I like Carter. The second one with Wakanda Guardians fo the Galaxy was meh. The third one with the killing of all of Shield and Loki ruling Earth was amusing, but I didn’t understand Hank Pym being the bad guy. Some reference to a movie detail I saw ten years ago and forgot, I suppose.

Good enough for a 30 minute filler after watching something serious. Hopefully it gets more interesting and starts trying telling compelling stories instead of just going for fan service.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Just watched the last 2 episodes of S2. That was lots of fun. I was also impressed by how many of the MCU actors voiced their characters in these episodes. There wasn't as much of a unification at the end of S2 as there was in S1, but there were enough cameos in these two final episodes to tie most of it all together. Still, lots of fun.

There is a lot of good behind the scenes information in the wikipedia article for the season including the full list of who reprised their characters and who replaced others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks