What's new

Disney+ Marvel's What If? (1 Viewer)

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I liked the third episode okay, but not sure I believed the force responsible would be so mad and vengeful and mostly how would they know where to be every time at just the right moment to make all those things go south? I liked it till I started thinking about it, and it just doesn't seem plausible. Even so, it was fun to watch. All the episodes have been so far.

Can't believe we're three episodes in and this thread is only a measly two pages...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Can't believe we're three episodes in and this thread is only a measly two pages...
Three pages now with your post. ;)

I think that is because there is inherently less to discuss and theorize about when the narrative isn't continuing from week to week. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the format they are using, but the other MCU shows have naturally involved more discussion of where things are going and how they connect to the overall MCU. This is just a different kind of show.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I really liked the first two episodes, but this third episode was the best yet.

Just great all around.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Another reason for this thread not being very long yet is that we don't really have character arcs to discuss from week to week. Because it resets to a new premise every week, this isn't the kind of show where you can watch a character grow and develop over the course of a season, like Loki did in his show. That's another reason why I would like it if, in future seasons, they could play out one scenario for two or three episodes before moving on because that way we would actually have more time to see the impact of these changes on the characters as each scenario is presenting them. Even though I do think the show so far has been good, everything seems to be very breakneck in order to cram each story into +/- half an hour.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Has the Watcher been appearing in each of the episodes as obviously as in the 3rd one?

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I'd been waiting for Dr. Strange and it did not disappoint. My favorite so far.

I have never seen an ending like it. One of the Planet of the Apes sequels comes to mind, but it was a pittance compared to this. My only want was that they used the Dr. Strange theme from the movie a bit more. Otherwise, it was wondrous--and sobering.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Has the Watcher been appearing in each of the episodes as obviously as in the 3rd one?

No. He has been appearing in the background more and more with each episode.
Did you see this weeks yet?

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Ok, one small nitpick: Strange is told it's impossible to save Christine because then he wouldn't become sorcerer supreme and stop Dormamu. However we've already seen from the 'main' timeline that that simply isn't true.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Ok, one small nitpick: Strange is told it's impossible to save Christine because then he wouldn't become sorcerer supreme and stop Dormamu. However we've already seen from the 'main' timeline that that simply isn't true.
The way I took it, that was applying to HIS timeline, not the other timeline. What's possible in one timeline apparently is not possible in another.

I didn't get the creation of an infinity stone, but next time I'll watch for it. I would doubt it, but who knows?

One thing that bothers me is the idea of pre-destination. I get why it makes a fun plot device for a one-shot 35 minute show, but when you start talking about living with pre-destination in a franchise, what's the point? It doesn't really matter what characters do because their destinies are already determined. It's a slippery slope, and I'm not sure in the long run it's advantageous for the MCU to adopt pre-destiny.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought it was good. The animation was even better than previous episodes. At times, I thought I was watching live-action actors.

I always appreciate these stories that turn out like a Twilight Zone episode, and this one did (as did many of the old What If stories, if memory serves).

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I agree that it was quite a powerful episode. Much more Watcher than expected.

It is interesting that they twist the Dr. Strange origin story and then make a new "fixed point" for that.

One other interesting thing is the return of the creature from the first episode.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I guess I'm in the minority but I didn't like this week very much.

I watched this episode after rewatching the film.

I think Rachel McAdams is a fantastic actress, but her role in Doctor Strange (the movie) really didn't give her very much to do. I simply did not believe that their love was so deeply significant that Doctor Strange (the character) would go to such lengths to save her. It was great that this episode got all of the main cast back, but I just didn't go with where the storytelling wanted to go this week.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Hmm... isn't that the power stone? Seen in Guardians of the Galaxy?
Exactly. We've already seen in Loki that there are a ton of them; TVA had a drawer full of discarded infinity stones.

So this episode would seem to imply that the destruction of a universe is an event that can create one.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
My take was that it all condensed down into a pocket dimension (which are used to great effect in Doctor Strange comics).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks