What's new

Marvel's Luke Cage (Netflix) Season 2 - June 22 (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Trailer for season 2, which drops June 22 on Netflix.

Looks great, with Cage evolving from the brooding character of season 1 to a more open, humorous character.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Great character but hopefully a more interesting storyline and villain this time. By far my least favorite of the Netflix Marvel shows so far although Season 2 of Jessica Jones may top that.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Mine is Iron Fist.
Yeah, his character drove me nuts. I'm hoping after The Defenders, he's a better character since he seemed to hit a turning point.

I liked Luke Cage, S1, more when Cottenmouth was around. After they moved on, it was just ok to me.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Mine is Iron Fist.
Hmm yeah I have noticed from talking to people that everyone seems to have different favorites and least favorites in the Netflix Marvel series. My favorites are Daredevil and Iron Fist and my least favorite Luke Cage. I also loved the actor and character Punisher in Daredevil Season 2 but found Punisher season 1 a disappointment and a slog to get through.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hmm yeah I have noticed from talking to people that everyone seems to have different favorites and least favorites in the Netflix Marvel series. My favorites are Daredevil and Iron Fist and my least favorite Luke Cage. I also loved the actor and character Punisher in Daredevil Season 2 but found Punisher season 1 a disappointment and a slog to get through.
You're the first person I met that considered Iron Fist among their favorite.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
2 of my friends and 1 co-worker also like it among the best and we all scratch our heads as to why a lot of people dislike Iron Fist. There was great chemistry between the 2 likeable main characters, one of the better Netflix Marvel storylines with several pot twists and a decent amount of action. Many of the Netflix Marvel seem a bit overlong at 13 episodes but this one didn't. The storyline was basically continued and completed in The Defenders. And I'm actually the only one of my friends that like Luke Cage so as I said people seem to be really split on favorite and least favorite which I guess is good for Netflix since it means they all have an audience.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I didn't find Danny Rand likable. That was my problem with Iron Fist. Although, I did think the series was ok. Just my least favorite.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Not to get too far off-topic into Iron Fist territory, but I found Jessica Henwick so absolutely charismatic and magnetic that she almost single-handedly compensated for any deficiencies attributable to Danny Rand (either the character or the actor).

As for Luke Cage season 2, I can't wait.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
The problem with all these shows is that the seasons are too long for the amount of story they're trying to tell. Luke Cage could easily have ended once the Cottonmouth plot thread ended, but there were still several more episodes after that. Iron Fist was also a chore to get through. I'm getting a bit of that now with Defenders. The only Marvel Netflix show I've not found a chore (or dozed off during) so far was S1 of Jessica Jones. Randy's comment about S2 above worries me that it seems they've still got problems with pacing.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

And who found the first Punisher season to be a slog; I think it actually transcended the comic book show genre. But to each their own, I guess.

As far as Iron Fist, I thought his portrayal was immature; I think he has real potential if they mature the character and make him more humorous and carefree.

I liked Luke Cage season 1 and am looking forward to season 2.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The problem with all these shows is that the seasons are too long for the amount of story they're trying to tell. Luke Cage could easily have ended once the Cottonmouth plot thread ended, but there were still several more episodes after that. Iron Fist was also a chore to get through. I'm getting a bit of that now with Defenders. The only Marvel Netflix show I've not found a chore (or dozed off during) so far was S1 of Jessica Jones. Randy's comment about S2 above worries me that it seems they've still got problems with pacing.
I thought S2 of Jessica Jones was excellent after I got thru the first 3-4 episodes.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I recently re-watched season 1 on blu-ray, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. All of the Marvel Netflix shows are well cast, but Luke Cage might have the strongest ensemble of them all. I love that Alfre Woodard got her own trailer!

Small tidbit: Luke Cage is the only one of the Marvel Netflix shows to have an extra on the blu-rays. It's a 22 min roundtable with Colter, Woodard, Missick and Rossi, plus the producers. It was really fun to watch.

I have yet to see one of these series I didn't enjoy (even Iron Fist) so I guess I'm the target audience for them.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Watched the first episode last night, and it's nice to have this back. Mariah and Shades play creepy very nicely, and Bushmaster has me intrigued. Luke is obviously going to eat his words about being invulnerable that he yelled into the camera. I keep wondering when Misty is going to get her arm.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Daredevil is my fav so far, cage prob being second and punisher third. I like Jessica Jones because she is such a smart ass, but not as entertaining for me. Not sure where to put iron fist.

My only complaint about some of their shows lately, like Luke Cage season 1, it drug on too long at points. They dont need 15 episode seasons, they can handle it in 8-9 hours usually.

I do think Danny and Luke work well together comedy wise and bromance, so maybe we will see some of the teamups they have had in comics investigating things.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I just finished the third episode. So far I think I'm liking this season more than the first. On this show, Harlem is really an ecosystem with a lot of interconnected parts. The first season did a good job establishing that, and now this season is deepening it and making it more complex.

And after the first season took place mostly at night, this season takes place primarily during the day. It gives the whole show a different vibe, one that these Marvel/Neflix co-productions haven't really explored much.

The show is also getting more confident in its cinematic vocabulary. The closing montage of the second episode, intercutting between a sermon from Luke's father, a performance at Harlem's Paradise, and a brutal scene of domestic violence, blended the show's various elements in a really impactful way.

The big fight between Luke and Claire in the third episode was a masterclass of writing and performance. Every single moment rang painfully true. In many ways, it was more tense than any of the action scenes.

It's a bold choice to have the bad guys speak in Jamaican patois for significant stretches without subtitles or clarification for the audience.

I like that the walls between the various Marvel/Netflix shows aren't are solid as they used to be, with more than just Rosario Dawson floating between the shows. Colleen Wing popping up in the third episode as Misty's sparring partner and drinking partner was fun, with a very different energy than on "Iron Fist".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks