1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Luke Cage (Netflix) Season 2 - June 22

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Sam Favate, May 7, 2018.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Makes my skin craw. One down, 12 more to go.

2. KevinGress

KevinGress Supporting Actor

10 episodes in. I'm really enjoying it. Like it better than the first season; seems like the story has moved along nicely and has the right amount of action. Only the 9th episode, I think, seemed to drag, but it explained a lot of backstory, so it was needed I guess.

Iron Fist does show up and I think his characterization was much better; more mature and composed. I don't know if it was the fight coordination or if he simply needs more instruction, but his 'kung fu' needs work. I really liked their interaction and do hope if they don't do a Defenders, season 2, that they do a 'Heroes for Hire' with those two.

Seems like they saw Punisher and dialed the dark up a bit. I think it works and shows just how evil some people can be when they're pushed.

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Only up to episode 3, but what great performances from Mike Colter and especially Rosario Dawson. She's really the MVP of this show. Marvel/Netflix needs to keep her in all of them.

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Just finished the second season tonight. I was watching this late at night and I kept falling asleep. Finally this weekend I took the time to do a couple afternoon binges and then went into the final episodes early this evening.

One thing I really appreciate about this show is that the title character is allowed to evolve. He ended the first season in a very different place from where he started, and he ended the second season in a very different place from where "The Defenders" ended.

There was maybe a half-dozen episodes worth of plot stretched across the 13 episodes, but that's less of a problem here because the world and the cast of characters is so interesting to watch. When the plot took a backseat, the character work came to the foreground, and that was always worth the time.

The Jamaicans were interesting antagonists, because they were in many ways more noble than the people they were going up against.

Reg E. Cathey was dying of lung cancer when he filmed this season of "Luke Cage", and passed away three months after filming ended. He is tremendous as Luke's father, the Rev. James Lucas. As the backstory between Luke and Diamondback filled in over the course of the first season, there was a strong impression formed of this man. And Cathey was up to the challenge of bringing him to life: the charisma, the swagger, but also the sharpness, and the imperiousness. Presumably the character will be killed off, or move back to South Carolina, between seasons. But it will be a huge loss to the show.

Some thoughts that necessarily get into major events from the finale:
    Alfre Woodard gave one of the great performances of her extraordinary career in these two seasons of "Luike Cage", Mariah was a great villain: complex and multifaceted and multilayered. Her journey was an immensely rewarding one to watch. But I think the show was smart to kill her off. By the end of this season, she'd been stripped down to her raw essentials. And the last thing I'd want to see is her get stale.

Making Luke the mob boss of Harlem -- basically turning him into Lemond Bishop from "The Good Wife" without the drugs and without the murder -- is an unexpected development that opens up new storytelling avenues and promises a third season that is completely unlike the two that came before.

Tilda's story got a bit shaky in the middle but paid off beautifully by the end, with her having more or less fully embraced her comics lineage, right down to the hair. Given that the finale thinned the ranks of supporting characters significantly, it's nice to see Luke Cage's rogues gallery being fleshed out a bit.

There's a good chance that her run early this season will be her last appearance as Claire. She has a teenage daughter she wants to spend more time with, so she's stepping back from this major commitment. She did say she'd be interested in making an appearance on "The Punisher", just to complete the set as it were.

5. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Episode 7 for me last night, and wow, a lot happened in this one. One of my complaints about the Netflix shows is that in addition to having maybe too many episodes per season (8 or 10 would do fine), the shows all run long (episode 6 was 64 minutes!). But I can't complain when they are as packed as episode 7 was. Really great work going on here.

If that's true about Claire/Rosario Dawson, it's a real shame. She's so good in these shows.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Adam,

You kind of inspired me to finish Season 2 of this show. I got up early this morning and watched the final 12 episodes. That wasn't my plan as I originally was going to 3 episodes today, but once I got going, I couldn't stop watching them. Talk about binge watching, I guess that's one of the benefits of retirement.:) Quite an arc for Luke Cage. The same for Tilda. I've been a big fan of Gabrielle Dennis since the TV show Rosewood with Morris Chestnut. Even on that show, she displayed her lovely singing voice.

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  7. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I like the couple of "The Godfather" shout outs in Episode 13. Also, it was nice seeing Annabella Sciorra playing Rosalie Carbone here. Seeing Simone Missick/Misty playing against her husband Dorian Missick/Cockroach was quite funny at times. They did a good job bringing back old characters that died and casting young actors to play characters in their youth. They were dead on with John "Bushmaster" McIver.

Man, I'm glad they killed off Mariah Dillard. What a despicable character! I thought that "Bushmaster" insistence of calling her Mariah Stokes was kind of funny. So Tilda/Nightshade is going to be one of the villains in Season 3. Will she also have a love/hate relationship with Luke? I'm having a hard time resolving the change in her character from being somebody that helps people to being this villain that now hates Luke after he saved her life more than once.

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

One of the fun things about the back half of the city is that it starts opening up the world a little bit; until then, the show had been pretty self-contained north of Central Park and south of 155th Street. Now we're starting to meet the other players who have carved up the MCU version of Manhattan like a pie.

The interesting thing about Carbone's home was that the same location was heavily featured in "Mr. Robot" recently.

I would guess that she ends up more like an anti-hero than an outright villain. The character in the comics has been both hero and villain over the years.

9. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Episode 9 for us last night, and we are enjoying it a lot. Every episode leaves us catching our breath because so much happens and the story develops each hour. I enjoyed season 1, but I think this season could be even better.

10. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Episode 10 last night. We need a Heroes For Hire show, like, now. Luke and Danny played off each other so well, and I loved Danny's new look and more relaxed character. It suits the character. Great stuff. Love D.W. (a character from the old Luke Cage comics): "Power Man AND Iron Fist? That's goin' on a t-shirt!"
    (PS They've made Mariah irredeemable.)

Will finish this week.

11. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    I finished this past weekend. I was able to make it through the season, but it took until episode 10 to kick off for me. Nothing really grabbed me this season. I liked Bushmaster for the most part, and especially his backstory. There were good things, but I was bored a pilot of the time. Many repetitive arguments.

12. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Episode 12 last night, and it took willpower not to finish 13 and stay up late. I love the scene in the Episode 11 where Luke and Bushmaster meet and just talk. Made them seem like human beings. The season started out with Bushmaster being a despicable character, but he's evolved into a complex villain. I think this season has been great, and it's kept it's narrative focused, moreso than season 1, which had two, separate antagonists.

Sean Bryan likes this.
  13. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    OK, I wasn't prepared for how dark the ending was. For a season finale, it didn't have a lot of action, and that's okay since there was a lot of plot to resolve.

One thing I didn't get:
    Why did Tilda seem angry that Luke was given the club instead of her? She killed her mother! What could she have expected?

One thing I just didn't buy:
    Luke telling Claire to go home. I also don't buy Claire showing up. How can she know Luke is over his anger issues? Maybe she talked to his father again. But Luke changed this season and not for the better. He's going to need help to come back.

I really liked the use of D.W. as Luke's conscience. He's a natural to take over Pop's.

It was a great season. Really great work from the Luke Cage team. Whether Marvel ultimately moves these shows to Disney's new streaming service or leaves them at Netflix, these are the crown jewels of Marvel TV.

14. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    BTW, one thing that surprised me was the note-for-note recreation in the finale of a scene from The Godfather. It was a bit too on-the-nose and didn't really fit Cage's character.

15. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I thought it was funny.

16. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    I found season two of Luke Cage to be excellent. One of the strongest seasons of all the Marvel Netflix shows.

Sam Favate likes this.
  17. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Same here as it grew on me as it went along.

Adam Lenhardt and Sean Bryan like this.
  18. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I would argue that that was the point.

19. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
  20. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Yeah, I'm thinking that either Marvel and Netflix are clearing the way for a "Heroes for Hire" series, or Disney's gonna snatch them up for its own streaming platform.

The strange thing is that Netflix had just made a big deal a day or two ago about how the "Iron First" cancellation was an anomaly, and it was in it for the long haul with its Marvel series.

This announcement took a long time to arrive, so I've got to believe that negotiations for a third season were underway for a while, and they ultimately just couldn't make it work for whatever reason.

holtge and Sean Bryan like this.