What's new

Marvel Cinematic Universe on Disney+ - General Discussion (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Not being sure exactly what the term “troll” means, I had to look it up. It was not my intention at all to piss people off, just express my opinion. I thought the little emogi was enough to show I was making a light hearted remark. Besides which, I am Canadian!

I was trying to make a comment on super hero burn out. The amount of characters is truly becoming bewildering especially to an old DC man like myself.

The Marvel characters were only names to me before the cycle of movies. I have seen every one, and bought them all on flat and 3D Blu ray, even ones like “Hellboy”, and “Daredevil” I am finding now that after reading about a whole bunch of new shows coming, I almost feel as if I need to lie down!

I do not intend to make any more comments in this thread.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Deadline reports today that Marvel and Hulu have a deal for four adult-oriented animated series, Howard the Duck (produced by Kevin Smith), Dazzler & Tigra (produced by Chelsea Handler), M.O.D.O.K. and Hit-Monkey, plus a team-up special called The Offenders.

The article also says that The Punisher and Jessica Jones are expected to be cancelled by Netflix, although there is no official word. However, the announcement of the new series lends credence to the possibility that the Marvel Netflix shows could find a new home at Hulu.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/marvel...igra-and-dazzler-hit-monkey-modok-1202554521/

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Variety confirmed today that a Hawkeye series, starring Jeremy Renner, is coming to Disney+. The show will also feature the character of Kate Bishop.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/hawkeye-series-jeremy-renner-disney-plus-1203183398/

There should be more information tomorrow about shows coming to Disney+, as an "investor day" is scheduled.
On one hand, I think this is a really smart move; if Marvel wants to sustain the MCU long-term, they need to think intergenerationally. Tom Holland's Spider-Man is one step in that direction, and a Kate Bishop Hawkeye is another. If they take cues from the Matt Fraction/David Aja run of "Hawkeye", this could be something really special.

On the other hand, I wish this hadn't leaked to the trades for a few more weeks, since it seemingly confirms the fate of another Avenger post-Endgame. I wonder if they've cast Kate Bishop already and, if so, whether she appears in Endgame or not.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
If they take cues from the Matt Fraction/David Aja run of "Hawkeye", this could be something really special.

Did you read the Fraction line (volume 4)? It's my favourite of any comic in probably the last decade. Issues 8 and 11 were stellar. Issue 11 absolutely deserved its Eisner.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Did you read the Fraction line (volume 4)? It's my favourite of any comic in probably the last decade. Issues 8 and 11 were stellar. Issue 11 absolutely deserved its Eisner.
I haven't read the whole thing, but I really enjoyed what I read. Things I hope they carry over:
  • Grounded villains: Of the six original MCU Avengers, Hawkeye is one of only two unenhanced human beings (assuming that they don't go with a version of Black Widow's backstory where she was enhanced with biotechnology by the Soviets) and yet his Avengers-centric film presence has meant we've pretty much only seen him fight colossally-scaled threats. In the Fraction run, he's up against the Russian mafia, which is a far more appropriately scaled threat.
  • Pizza-Dog: This story only works if Clint's separated from his family, so the dog gives him a warmer connection. Bonus points if they do an episode entirely told from the dog's point of view.
  • Clint Barton as a human being: How does he conduct his life when he's not saving the day? How does his integrity assert itself when he's not saving the day? The show should explore these things. It should also capture his wit, and his ability to lighten heavy situations and his willingness to be a little goofy from time to time.
  • Kate Bishop as a contrast to Clint: They're both really, really, REALLY good with a bow and arrow, but she is not just a younger, female Clint Barton. She's more confident than he is, not having had the life experiences he's had to humble her yet. Clint is the master of improvisation, while she is more careful and more precise. She can be witty too, but her snark has a bit more bite to it than Clint's. If this show is going to succeed, the mentor-mentee relationship between Clint and Kate needs to be compelling, and their friendship needs to be something the audience gets invested in. For the future of the MCU, she needs to be an interesting enough character to work on the more elevated stage of the feature films someday.
  • The bad guys need to really overuse the word "Bro".

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Disney's streaming service is planning a Love, Simon sequel series centered around Katherine Langford's character but they're recasting the role.

That lends further credence to the rumors that Langford's mystery role in Endgame is Kate Bishop, since the "Hawkeye" series could be one reason she's not available for the Love, Simon series.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Feige was at the Disney investor day and unveiled the first four Marvel shows for Disney+:

Wanda-Vision, the show starring Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany

Falcon & Winter Soldier, starring Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan

What If? - an animated anthology show starring the voices of the actors from the Marvel films; each one will be a different story. The first mentioned is What if Peggy Carter had become a supersoldier and Steve Rogers had stayed a scrawny kid, but joined the fight in an armored suit made by Howard Stark.”

Loki, starring Ton Hiddleston

https://mcucosmic.com/2019/04/11/initial-marvel-studios-disney-lineup-officially-revealed/

Disney+ will launch Nov. 12, will feature no ads, and will only cost $6.99/month or $69.99/year. The Star Wars series The Mandalorian will debut with the service. Also, supposedly everything will be downloadable, so you can watch offline.

The logo for the Falcon/Winter Solider series:
D36AMU3UcAAaJYU.jpg

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Any word yet on how someone will be able to watch Disney+?

Will all major brand TV’s and BD players get updates to add the Disney+ app? Or will it be available as an add on to Amazon like CBS All Access?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Will all major brand TV’s and BD players get updates to add the Disney+ app?

I hope so. I'd happily install a firmware update for my Blu-ray player that includes the app.

Or will it be available as an add on to Amazon like CBS All Access?

No way. :laugh: Disney isn't going to rely on Amazon to be a go-between with it and the consumer. They aren't even cooperating with Amazon on disc sales for Blu-rays. Why would they play nice on this? It's not like Disney needs Amazon.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Will all major brand TV’s and BD players get updates to add the Disney+ app? Or will it be available as an add on to Amazon like CBS All Access?

I'm a little confused by what you mean - CBS All Access is available as a stand-alone app, and it can be purchased within several other apps as an add-on to an existing subscription, like Amazon and Hulu. It's entirely up to the user which method of subscription they prefer, but the subscription price and offerings are identical regardless of which method one uses to sign up. There are many subscription services that are available this way.

It seems extremely likely that Disney+ will be available both as a standalone app, and as an add-on through existing subscription services. At the very least, Disney has already commented that there will be a Disney+/Hulu combo offering.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
$6.99 a month looks to be a really great deal. This looks like the service CBS All Access wishes it could be.

The advantage that Disney has is that it both is the content owner and content provider. No other streaming service has been able to offer that kind of complete synergy. Whether it's CBS All Access or HBO Now or Netflix, all of those services must rely on a combination of original material that they've either produced themselves (or content that they've licensed the initial rights to) and pre-existing content that's been licensed for a limited term. CBS All Access can't include every show to ever air on CBS because CBS doesn't own everything that's ever been on CBS.

That's what's so revolutionary about this service - it's access to a major studio's content, directly from that studio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks