What's new

Mariah has been dumped! (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
Heh...she got paid $50 million for doing 1/4 of the work she owed. I would say she made out pretty well.

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
You dont divorce someone like Tony Motola and not expect retribution. Guarateed he worked his contacts in getting EMI to dump her.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Tommy didn't get Mariah dumped, Glitter did. When an artist with an 80 million dollar contract releases an album that goes anything less than multi platinum its grounds for immediate dismissal.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Well that's what EMI gets for throwing that kind of dough at one artist. The $80 mil originally contracted to Mariah could have funded dozens of new artists/bands who probably won't get records deals due to the industry's insistance of putting money behind a limited number of acts and ramming them down the public's throats. (Boy bands/Britney/Christina) etc.

Don Black

Screenwriter
Let's not forget the ~$20 million EMI paid Carey last year .. hence the total $50 million figure. She was signed for 4 albums I believe and delivered one. I think she's in a great position. Now, she can sign to another label and make even more. Granted, it's not going to $20 million an album at her new label... but still.

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
Bands get dumped by record labels all the time. Why did they pay her 20 million? I wonder how much EMI paid all the other bands they dumped last year? Probably $0.00.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It was written into the contract that if they requested early termination they had to pay a percentage on the remaining money promised

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Mariah has truly gone mad. She looks horrible and she just seems to be insane. Anyone catch her MTV Cribs episode? What a whack job. :)
-Dean-

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Dean - I caught about 10 minutes of it. What the hell was going on? Why did she keep changing outfits? I think she may still be in need of more professional help.

I, for one, used to think she was a real hottie. She looked great in the "Dreamlover" video. Now she is beginning to look like someone trying to cram six pounds o' crap in a five pound bag. Just my opinion of course!

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, she's had a rough life.
home_photo.gif
--> Link Removed

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Funniest thing is I read in the paper that Mariah's "people" are now saying that it was her idea to leave and that she wanted out. I can't imagine why EMI would give her anything if that were the case.

I wonder how the album would have done had the movie not been released.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I can just see it now...

High powered EMI exec - "Puhhhleeeease Mariah, don't go!!!"

Mariah - "I need more time for myself..."

High powered EMI exec - "NO! Sure, your last album sucked and your movie was a complete bomb, but thats no reason to throw in the towel!"

Mariah - "You just don't get it. See I'm actually a Princess from the planet Qwerton and I'm here to save your planet. I can't save your planet AND continue pumping out chart busting hits. Plus the High Council of Qwerton has decided that if I retain my "DIVA" title I must rescind my claim to the Throne!"

High powered EMI exec - *looks nervously around the room* "Uhhhh, OK. But I can't let you leave without a parting gift. Here, take this wheelbarrow full of cash. Its the least we can do."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.