What's new

TCM Didn't Adjust Schedule for Daylight Savings Time (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Since DST began Sunday morning TCM's schedule has been one hour off. The daily 8:00 PM ET movie starts at 9:00 PM for example.
The guide is one hour off so movies DVRed start to record an hour early and get cut off. Hope they fix it soon. "Love Affair"scheduled to air at 6:15 AM Monday is starting at 7:15 AM Monday so the problem still isn't fixed. I don't believe it is a cable provider problem as TCM is the only channel that has the problem.

I DVRed "Fiddler On The Roof" early Sunday morning, the movie started on time but was cut off with an hour left. "Cabaret" the movie that followed started an hour late with the first hour being the rest of "Fiddler" and since then the schedule has been one hour off.

Last edited:

sandersonjd

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Sanderson
I discovered it too late. 3 movies I've been wanting to see for a while we cut short.

It's still a problem, so I've set my next recording for this afternoon to end an hour later than the guide shows. I'll have to ff through the recording to get to the end beginning of the movie that I want to watch, but at least I'll get the entire movie.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
According to Twitter/Facebook, they're supposedly "working on it", whatever that means.

I don't understand how this would have caught them by surprise. It happens twice a year, every year.

ccchristie464

Auditioning
Real Name
Christine
Thank you, even though these are old posts!! I was losing my mind last night (2023) toggling between the Oscars at 8 p.m. EDT, and TCM "The Longest Day". I really thought I was losing it because everything was an hour off. I have the printed schedule, too, and kept looking back and forth. It occurred to me that it was due to changing the clocks the night before, but I searched Google last night and found no comments about it. I see by the several times and years that this discussion has occurred that this must be a regular problem for TCM!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
According to Twitter/Facebook, they're supposedly "working on it", whatever that means.

I don't understand how this would have caught them by surprise. It happens twice a year, every year.

Depending on how they deliver their content to cable providers, there are a number of hardware and/or software and/or metadata things that can just go wrong. Computers are excellent at many things, but understanding how to make an hour evaporate off the schedule isn’t necessarily one of them :)

That is wishful thinking. If anything, they seem to be headed to make Daylight Saving time the uniform standard (a mistake, IMO).

I’ve come to realize, living in different places in different years, that we’ll never get 100% agreement on which is “better” because time zones are so wide that what seems ideal in one section of a time zone may not in another. I’m at one extreme of eastern time, where, when it’s “standard,” in winter it means it’s getting dark at 4pm (when I could really use more light for longer), and getting bright at 4am or 5am (when the sunlight is wasted on me and counterproductive to keeping my kids asleep). I’m agnostic about “daylight” time in summer keeping it bright until 8pm, but from my POV, I just don’t want darkness at 4pm during the winter. Someone on the other end of the eastern time zone might have the opposite problem and opinion so I’ve come to realize there’s no “right answer” as I once thought there was.

The only point I am completely sure of is that switching back and forth gets harder for me physically every year and I’d just like to get it settled one way or the other.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
DST in winter months means the majority of the US won't see "sunrise" until 8am or later for most of the winter months. It was tried before - I lived through the one in 1974/75 (the other was during WWII) and hated every minute, as did the rest of the country. If they try it again it'll likely see the same response and will be repealed just like before. The problem is the people who benefit most from DST ("big business" and any business who sees more customers during daylight hours) have congress in their collective back pockets and, unfortunately, profits rule over common sense and the health of the populace.

Here's a fun article with a "How much daylight would you have at breakfast" calculator:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
DST in winter months means the majority of the US won't see "sunrise" until 8am or later for most of the winter months. It was tried before - I lived through the one in 1974/75 (the other was during WWII) and hated every minute, as did the rest of the country. If they try it again it'll likely see the same response and will be repealed just like before. The problem is the people who benefit most from DST ("big business" and any business who sees more customers during daylight hours) have congress in their collective back pockets and, unfortunately, profits rule over common sense and the health of the populace.

Here's a fun article with a "How much daylight would you have at breakfast" calculator:
Dear Friend spot on -- sadly no compromise I say just turn the clocks back 1/2 hour make all happy --- with TCM they should have simply had a film end at 2am then move clocks ahead to 3am ---- METV had a episode of Lost in Space end at 2am they skipped the 2am show and went to 3am wonder if TCM thought it had ended already turning the clock back?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I thought most of us adjusted our clocks for the last time on Sunday morning
(unless I’m mistaken, DST is now the norm).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Again, with respect, that’s not really true.

If you live on the easternmost part of a time zone, standard time results in sunlight beginning as early as 4am - moving to daylight saving time would push that to 5am. I would not consider 5am light to be “dark forever on winter mornings”.

If you live on the westernmost part of a time zone, then yes, permanent daylight saving time would result in a later start of the morning.

Each time zone is so large that there are enormous inconsistencies with what each of us experience compared to what others at different ends of their zone do.

While I readily acknowledge that permanent daylight saving time isn’t the preference of everyone, and that there are multiple legitimate reasons for that, I wish in these discussions at large the people who prefer permanent standard time could extend the same courtesy and would at least acknowledge that sunrise at 4am and sunset at 4pm isn’t ideal for a lot of folks.

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I live in Philadelphia, which isn’t as far East as New Jersey, NY, or the New England states, however on 12.21 sunrise is at 7:19am. Moving an hour ahead would cause daylight to not come until 8:19- this far east. The further west you go, the worse that gets and I feel for the poor people on the boarder line. Would it still be dark at 9am?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks