What's new

Tommy Smothers Has Passed Away At 86!!!! (1 Viewer)

garyrc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gary
Their political satire was always great! About 1968, after being repeatedly censored, Tommy wandered through an art gallery in which there were portraits of the Founders (we said Founding Fathers in those days, having forgotten the Mothers). Each Founder depicted came to life and quoted themselves. Naturally, the quotes were still applicable, radical, and could be applied to what our nation was going through at the time. They wouldn't dare censor that! Hilarious!

R.I.P., Tommy. You helped save my sanity back then.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Oh, how I loved them when they burst onto the national scene in the 1960s! I bought many of their comedy albums, not just for comedy but also for their gorgeous harmonies and solos. I even loved their sitcom that only ran a season a couple of years before their variety series made such a splash.

Your mom may have liked Dickie best, but I loved you best, Tommy. R.I.P.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Lest we forget they were vintners as well ...;
1703737286148.png
)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Here's some classic tv Smothers Brothers and a couple interviews.

The Judy Garland Show (1963-1964)
Stars Judy Garland Jerry Van Dyke Bradford Craig

S01E02 Episode #1.2 (Oct.06.1963)
Stars Judy Garland Jerry Van Dyke Ethel Merman Dick Smothers Tom Smothers Barbra Streisand

The Jack Benny Program (1950-1965)
Stars Jack Benny Eddie 'Rochester' Anderson Don Wilson Eddie 'Rochester' Anderson Dennis Day Mary Livingstone Mel Blanc Benny Rubin The Sportsmen Quartet Frank Nelson Ned Miller Herb Vigran Jeanette Eymann Dale White Charles Cantor Lois Corbett Bob Crosby George Burns Sammy Weiss Rolfe Sedan Maudie Prickett Ross Elliott Frank Remley Iris Adrian Artie Auerbach Charles Bagby Chick Sheridan Jesslyn Fax Gisele MacKenzie Joe Besser

S15E28 Smothers Brothers Show (Apr.16.1965)
Stars Jack Benny Don Wilson Dick Smothers Tom Smothers Donald Journeaux Mark Harris Phyllis Coghlan Queenie Leonard

The Smothers Brothers confound every attempt by Jack to force them into his straitjacket comedy formula while performing his theme song, but, even scarier to Jack, he is pinned under an unexploded bomb in a World War II London air raid. The UXB squad turns out to be the Smothers. Tom can't remember which wire to pull, while Dick uses the opportunity of Jack's being immobilized to lock in an appearance on Jack's final program.

Panelists question identical twins barbells' saleswomen, identical twins oceanography teachers, identical twins interior decorators and blindfolded. @ 16:20 mystery challengers The Smothers Brothers.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Wow. I’m shocked that so little of their TV work is available. YouTube does have a good selection of mostly clips. Only seasons two and three of their show were released on DVD. I seem to recall they made appearances on Laugh-In, but nothing of theirs is available for streaming. I may just have to add my name to the library’s waitlist!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
When the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour won a writing Emmy in 1968 Tommy Smothers requested his name not be listed as one of the writers for fear that his name would influence the voters not to vote for the show. At the 60th Emmy Awards 15 years ago he was finally given his Emmy as one of the writers of the 1968 show. Here is his acceptance speech.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
When the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour won a writing Emmy in 1968 Tommy Smothers requested his name not be listed as one of the writers for fear that his name would influence the voters not to vote for the show. At the 60th Emmy Awards 15 years ago he was finally given his Emmy as one of the writers of the 1968 show. Here is his acceptance speech.

I did not know this had happened, so thanks so much for posting the video. I remember the first year the variety show was up for the Emmy and it lost to Andy Williams' show. I was very upset.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks